PDA

View Full Version : Hardin branded gauges?

JayZ
04-18-2014, 07:27 AM
Thinking of replacing the dated vdo gauges and also dressing up the dash on my 93 classic.

anyone have any thoughts or experience with these?

http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-231-stainless-steel-five-gauge-combo-set.aspx

bertsboat
04-18-2014, 08:39 AM
I was going to go with these but the Hardin Marine logo was a turn off.

Just Say N20
04-18-2014, 11:16 AM
I went with the Faria Chesapeake SS gauges. A blend of old school but current looking.

Wrong picture. I will fix it later.

Ghost
04-18-2014, 11:53 AM
I agree about the logo being distracting on those. They're almost certainly some else's, just rebranded, right? Do we know whose, if so?

FWIW, I bought new gauges last year and went with the Gaffrig 270 degree line. Which I like a lot, but all things considered, not sure I wouldn't just go with Livorsi--Gaffrig has apparently gotten quite slow on any support needs, in both my direct experience and word of mouth. Though, to be fair, they have always gotten the job done, just been slow. Livorsi will also let you customize virtually anything, which is cool.

gcarter
04-18-2014, 12:05 PM
FWIW, Livorsi's are "AutoMeter" gauges. Ya might as well look at those too.

gcarter
04-18-2014, 12:10 PM
I like the Faria gauges also. Thay can be attractively priced.

mattyboy
04-19-2014, 11:09 AM
not a fan of SS and Chrome for gauges, the 16 had black faced with black bezels easy to read and no glare, the Hornet has teleflex HD's with black face but chrome bezels and all the 5 inch Danforth instruments have chrome bezels too the sun hits the dash the right way and you fell like ray charles behind the wheel

mphatc
04-19-2014, 12:08 PM
I run the Hardin Marine gages . . twin sets on the Magnum, I reviewed all the fancy big buck gages and found that many of these have a high failure rate ..
had a bit of this on the Corsican with the Faria. Repair or replacement of something like Livorsi when they break and are 5-10 years old . .just plan on another set of gages . . .

FWIW, how can the name Hardin be a turn off? I've bought and sold a lot of their products as a dealer, never found bad service or quality . . .

Mario L.

Ghost
04-19-2014, 03:18 PM
I don't think the company is a turn off, just the cluttered look of their logo as put on the gauges themselves. Purely an aesthetic thing to me.

Conquistador_del_mar
04-20-2014, 01:17 AM
I don't think the company is a turn off, just the cluttered look of their logo as put on the gauges themselves. Purely an aesthetic thing to me.

FWIW - I agree. If they maybe used small print at the perimeter they would hold more appeal than the bold faced lettering. I have gotten to be a fan of white faced gauges for their ability to be quickly read. Just my opinion.

JimG
04-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Jay,

I like those Hardin gauges. Quality stuff. Ran them on my Stryker.

Jim

roadtrip se
04-21-2014, 09:30 AM
I run the Hardin Marine gages . . twin sets on the Magnum, I reviewed all the fancy big buck gages and found that many of these have a high failure rate ..
had a bit of this on the Corsican with the Faria. Repair or replacement of something like Livorsi when they break and are 5-10 years old . .just plan on another set of gages . . .

FWIW, how can the name Hardin be a turn off? I've bought and sold a lot of their products as a dealer, never found bad service or quality . . .

Mario L.

Maybe I have been lucky, but I have a set of redline "Gaffrig" by Livorsi gauges that I put in my Classic in 2001. I haven't replaced any of them. The only thing I have had to mess around with is the antenna for the GPS speedo, which was a matter of just getting the right replacement. Knock on skull.

CHACHI
04-22-2014, 06:08 AM
Went with Autometer.

Ken

mc donzi
04-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Went with Autometer.

Ken

Nice back drop!!

gcarter
04-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Nice back drop!!

+1! :)

Conquistador_del_mar
04-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Nice back drop!!

+2 Great looking dash :yes:.

JayZ
04-22-2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks all that have commented. ...wonder why the Hardin stuff is so much less $$ than the other brands. I am still not sure which way I am going to go. I originally wanted to do and engine turned style dash but don't think the stainless gauges will go with that look. ...might just do a teal dash or maybe some kind of carbon fiber look. I may even vinyl wrap the plastic one that is in there now and see how that turns out.

Cheers,

JZ

gcarter
04-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Carbon fiber works well.
Here's my carbon dash from Donzi Direct w/Gaffrig Monster series gauges mounted.

JayZ
04-23-2014, 07:58 PM
Carbon fiber works well.
Here's my carbon dash from Donzi Direct w/Gaffrig Monster series gauges mounted.

Looks good George!