PDA

View Full Version : Criterion SS - Front Rumble Seat

Greg Guimond
04-14-2014, 08:25 AM
I may have stumbled onto a Criterion. I know that the SS model has the front "hidden" rumble seat................

The Criterion "SS" was the same basic set up as the "II" with the exception of no bar in the middle of the bench, steering was on the right and it had a hydraulic hatch in front of the windshield that revealed a mini bench seat. My 1985 Criterion S.S. was built for John Chisholm just before he sold Donzi. It has steering on the left and the front hatch is manual. They had too many problems with the hydraulics........Ed

I'm waiting on photos from the owner of what exactly he has. It made me think about if, with the newer technology available today the manual hatch could be made to open and close with the flick of a button as Donzi had originally intended. I never understood why the factory did not cushion the underside of that front hatch and then use it as the bench seats upholstered backrest when in the open position. Probably would have made the power assist a bit easier to engineer as the hatch would have an easier place to go. I'm sure that concept is being used somewhere out there on other boats. Would be very cool to watch the hatch become a seat.

When I look at the picture of another old SS below that looks like a fun place for the kids to take a ride :yes:

BUIZILLA
04-14-2014, 09:39 AM
a hull # would be helpfull :worthy:

JayZ
04-15-2014, 07:53 AM
Fun for the kids and good that you can see them and their comfort/safety!

I may have stumbled onto a Criterion. I know that the SS model has the front "hidden" rumble seat................

I'm waiting on photos from the owner of what exactly he has. It made me think about if, with the newer technology available today the manual hatch could be made to open and close with the flick of a button as Donzi had originally intended. I never understood why the factory did not cushion the underside of that front hatch and then use it as the bench seats back when in the open position. Probably would have made the power assist a bit easier to engineer as the hatch would have an easier place to go. I'm sure that concept is being used somewhere out there on other boats. Would be very cool to watch the hatch become a seat.

When I look at the picture of another old SS below that looks like a fun place for the kids to take a ride :yes:

Greg Guimond
04-16-2014, 07:21 AM
Fun for the kids and good that you can see them and their comfort/safety!

Exactly. I have not heard anything back from the owner of the Critter so I wonder if someone grabbed it quickly? As I look at that forward hatch concept I might have to do that to one of my boats.
Hmmmmm :idea:

Conquistador_del_mar
04-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Exactly. I have not heard anything back from the owner of the Critter so I wonder if someone grabbed it quickly? As I look at that forward hatch concept I might have to do that to one of my boats.
Hmmmmm :idea:

Now that sounds ambitious to say the least - especially if you motorize the hatch that you would be cutting out of the deck. If you ever do it, I would love to see the progress!

Ed Donnelly
04-16-2014, 06:02 PM
I thought all the SS's were accounted for..
That would be a cool idea just like a rumble seat in the old cars, but,
I think it woul be easier to do with the SS's that didn't have the rain gutter like mine and the one shown in this thread..Ed

gcarter
04-16-2014, 07:28 PM
Ed and I saw a boat at the Lake Dora antique boat show that used a revolving hatch (w/a transverse axis). I remember Ed commenting on it. Yes, the gutter would have to be changed, and the seat back upholstery would be attached to the hatch underside.
Neither of us took a picture unfortunately, but I don't think the idea would be too hard to recreate.

Greg Guimond
04-16-2014, 08:41 PM
Mr. Carter being an accomplished mad scientist can visualize the mechanics. I thought through a minor version of the retractable hatch. My fabricator cut the hatches according to my request to be 2" narrower at the base than the top of the 25" hatch. He then fab'd and bonded a recessed lip and built it up a touch to include a rain gutter but we kept the back (bottom) of the square open so we could lift the hatch up and then slide it down to act as the seat back. Certainly not "powered" by the flick of a button but at least lays out the concept of how it could happen with a slick hidden look on the deck of any boat you choose. I could have sworn I saw a modern version somewhere but can't put my finger on it now.

I would use it in place of a full open bow, just a forward two seat rumbler like the 'Critter. You could use the bed area under the bow as the base of the seat. This would keep the long deck lines clean when the hatch was closed. Every thing that is new is old ironically. Some concept pics below .......

Greg Guimond
04-17-2014, 08:02 PM
It looks like the Criterion that was for sale was located in Illinois. I think it must have sold quickly as it has been impossible to get info from the seller. The only thing he said was it was located in Palatine.