PDA

View Full Version : Classic 18 repower

cgalerym
04-06-2014, 09:48 PM
Bought a Classic with a 260 hp cracked block. Has a stock Alpha drive. Looking to add speed. Can the outdrive handle 325 to 350 Hp or is a Bravo needed. Can I swap out the cracked block for a 383/350 and have the existing components match up. Lastly assuming the stock 260 was able to do 60mph, would 70 to 75 be reachable with the 383 block. Thanks

Tidbart
04-07-2014, 10:17 AM
The alpha can handle the HP. I wouldn't be hole-shotting it.
Engine swap should not be an issue.
My old 18C with 300 hp/bravo, did about 68. I would think 70 should be attainable.

Bob

MOP
04-07-2014, 11:29 AM
You will run about 3-4 MPH faster with the Alpha compared to a Bravo, a Bravo takes more ponies to turn and has a larger lower unit both of which slow you down. If and when the Alpha gets tired you can get SEI brand new with a three year warranty for about $1,300, a Bravo conversion costs booko bucks I know I was stupid enough to get talked into it 7k later and slower.

patricke
04-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Congrats on the new 18. See the thread below for my experience recently repowering my 18.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?68684-Testarossa-Caracked-Block-(&highlight=patricke

Also, some good input here from others trying to help a member decide if or if nots on the bravo conversion. I have had no issues with my Alpha + 383 mag so far.

ok nevermind..... cant find my posts on it I think they were lost when we were having issues with the forum, long story short, as others have mentioned:

Alpha advantages:
-less weight=more speed
-if you blow one up you can replace 3 times for the cost of bravo conversion
-I haven't had any issues with my set up

Disadvantages:
-need to be more ginger on hole shots and very aware on re-entries
-will need a shift interrupt kit installed if mating to a merc 383 as they are designed to run Bravo

Hope that helps.

PE

patricke
04-07-2014, 01:18 PM

383 Mag. Went with carbureted version. Cheaper, and easier to work on ie no elec inj system. Please read about slight clearance issue and water intake issue if going this route.

craigdskilling
04-07-2014, 02:21 PM
I had a great 383 with 750 edlebrock carb pushing 400 and a bh and was running mid 70s.mild cam and pistons from American eagle great motor.i sold the motor to my bud for his car but I got to keep the stainless marine exhaust and stainless marine cross over from it if you want to lighting it up and a few more hp let me now all in great shape .thanks craig

patricke
04-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Thanks Craig! If you still have it in a couple years drop me a line :yes:

gotta keep it stock for a while for warranty's sake unfortunately.

Patrick