PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tabs QQ

craigdskilling
04-02-2014, 08:03 PM
I have the chance to buy mercury 280 trim tabs and 2 pumps for my 18 donzi,they are mint shape but do I need these I am worried of all the extra weight will they help in my set up over the stock ones.My boat will have a all new set up this summer with 600hp whipple motor and Blackhawk drive will these help with performance to make it ride more stable.thanks craig.

osur866
04-02-2014, 08:08 PM
Craig, dunno how it will do with the BH, but I'm still running the single ram stock Bennett's, I recall a Member at a rally ask me the question, "when are you gonna put so real tabs on it now?" My response was "I only use them when cursing and for listing account of weight and sometimes I run a little tab running up to 60 anything after that they are high and dry.

craigdskilling
04-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Steve you are right when I am running full out the tabs are up all the way and these things must way a lot.thanks

gcarter
04-02-2014, 08:24 PM
I understand the desire to do this work BEFORE the engine goes in, as it's pretty difficult to do it afterwards.
I'd guess the tabs weigh 5-7# each, and the pumps a little less than that, so maybe 20-25# total........or maybe twice what your Bennetts weigh.
If you're wanting to do it, i'd say go for it.

MDonziM
04-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Hard to say. I went with longer/ faster tabs after doing a big motor and a bh. When I saw a few of the 20' cig guys with this combo they all ran big tabs (mostly380's) Depends somewhat on how they are mounted. They are out of the water at high speeds but I think there is some extended running surface effect. I think that the bh props are further aft of the transom so longer tabs cant hurt. Others will mention the Oh Sh t! factor when/if you high speed wobble and want to throw the chute its nice to have faster tabs. My original bennetts were mounted slightly low so I went with 28" Eddie's and mounted them up an 1"+ off the bottom.

craigdskilling
04-03-2014, 06:26 PM
those look killer.It just looks fast.:):):

Carl C
04-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Hard to say. I went with longer/ faster tabs after doing a big motor and a bh. When I saw a few of the 20' cig guys with this combo they all ran big tabs (mostly380's) Depends somewhat on how they are mounted. They are out of the water at high speeds but I think there is some extended running surface effect. I think that the bh props are further aft of the transom so longer tabs cant hurt. Others will mention the Oh Sh t! factor when/if you high speed wobble and want to throw the chute its nice to have faster tabs. My original bennetts were mounted slightly low so I went with 28" Eddie's and mounted them up an 1"+ off the bottom.

Does that drive shower really get any water?

MOP
04-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Craig did you finally raise the X?

MDonziM
04-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Thanks Craig - you cant tell from that pic but my steering rams mount in the way of most tabs so those eddie sponson go right over with no backplate.

Carl- yes, actually the shower works well, not sure how either...

craigdskilling
04-05-2014, 08:11 AM
No, I didn't have the room under the hatch with the whipple and the new custom stainless risers it al most didn't fit under the hatch.

MOP
04-05-2014, 09:09 AM
I guess with the power you are making it is mute to a point, but realize the 7-10 MPH lose. How much HP does one have to make to get 7-10 MPH increase, that alone says a lot.

Fishermanjm
04-05-2014, 12:52 PM
super cool look,,, i think my next upgrade after my seats will be hydro steering