PDA

View Full Version : Original 2005 Batteries Still Test Good!

Carl C
03-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Yep, I just load tested both of my original batteries and they are fine! They have 9 seasons on them. I bring them indoors every winter and keep them charged. :)

mc donzi
03-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Yep, I just load tested both of my original batteries and they are fine! They have 9 seasons on them. I bring them indoors every winter and keep them charged. :)

I also have a 22C with dual batteries and have been taking them out every fall, storing them in my basement and putting them back in in the spring.

Each year it gets harder to remove and replace them because of the weight and the placement of the gas shocks for hatch.

I just purchased a Deltran Battery Tender 2-Bank Management System(charges 2 batteries simutaneously). It fully charges and maintains the batteries at proper storage voltage. It came with 2 sets of fused alligator clips and 2 sets of fused ring terminals.

My plan is to use the ring terminals and run the wires up through the rear bilge vents and connect them to the charging unit for the winter months.

Cost was around $85.

I use a Deltran 1-Bank on my street rod for the winter and run it through a timer(3 hours in a 24 hour period). It fired right last spring.

Carl C
03-13-2014, 04:42 PM
I also have a 22C with dual batteries and have been taking them out every fall, storing them in my basement and putting them back in in the spring.

Each year it gets harder to remove and replace them because of the weight and the placement of the gas shocks for hatch.

I just purchased a Deltran Battery Tender 2-Bank Management System(charges 2 batteries simutaneously). It fully charges and maintains the batteries at proper storage voltage. It came with 2 sets of fused alligator clips and 2 sets of fused ring terminals.

My plan is to use the ring terminals and run the wires up through the rear bilge vents and connect them to the charging unit for the winter months.

Cost was around $85.

I use a Deltran 1-Bank on my street rod for the winter and run it through a timer(3 hours in a 24 hour period). It fired right last spring.

The cold still has to take a toll on them. Especially this brutal winter. Even though everything is stored in garages I remove the batteries from the boat, Mustangs and lawn tractor every year and keep them in the basement. It seems to be paying off. I'm especially impressed with the durability of the cheap original boat batteries and the pounding that they take!

Fishermanjm
03-13-2014, 06:33 PM
are they maintaince free batteries carl? I just dont have much luck with batteries...
in the camper or the boat. I had the m/f battery blow up in the boat last fall whaile i had the charger on it
I was at the helm when the dam thing blew up,,, i thought right away that the boat was done, it blew the top
off of it damaged the hatch edge a little bit,,, the battery seemed dry, the inside was actually dusty. there was
some acid in it, it stained the chrome exhaust

Tidbart
03-13-2014, 08:15 PM
I have an Optima Blue that was eight years old, a few years ago. Still going strong. Batteryminder helps tremendously.

Bob

Ghost
03-13-2014, 08:24 PM
9 years: awesome.

announcing 9 years: guarantees 10 won't happen. :)

Carl C
03-13-2014, 08:57 PM
are they maintaince free batteries carl? I just dont have much luck with batteries...
in the camper or the boat. I had the m/f battery blow up in the boat last fall whaile i had the charger on it
I was at the helm when the dam thing blew up,,, i thought right away that the boat was done, it blew the top
off of it damaged the hatch edge a little bit,,, the battery seemed dry, the inside was actually dusty. there was
some acid in it, it stained the chrome exhaust

They need water & maintenance. They're just cheap Excide batteries & that's what's so amazing! I saw a battery explode once.

Fishermanjm
03-13-2014, 09:08 PM
well i'm gonna start this season with two new batteries, i think i will call the excide dealer and
go from there,,,

joseph m. hahnl
03-15-2014, 07:49 PM
I worked next to an Exide battery company in Hollis NH. They maintained locomotive train batteries. The owner told me that the worst thing for a battery is to die and be recharged over and over. They become porous and the lead flakes off and a sediment builds up at the bottom of the battery shorting out the plates:nuke: Perhaps one of those battery tenders will be on my need to buy list :biggrin:

Pismo
03-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Nothing kills a battery faster than over charging. Be careful with the tenders. I had one once and it never turned off. It was a "battery tender" brand that i would not recommend. The battery never got to the point where the tender would decide to shut off so it destroyed the battery in no time. Watch it the first time.

Carl C
03-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Lead acid batteries have a normal, slow drain rate while sitting. I just charge mine a couple times a season with a 2/10 amp charger. I put one battery in the boat today. :)

BUIZILLA
03-19-2014, 07:51 AM
I think there is a member here that had a garage fire due to a battery tender or charger overheating... took out the whole garage and his Ducati if I remember right

mike o
03-19-2014, 02:27 PM
I think there is a member here that had a garage fire due to a battery tender or charger overheating... took out the whole garage and his Ducati if I remember right
It was a Buell M2. Saved the garage, 2/10 amp sears charger :wrench: