PDA

View Full Version : Okay, one more Stoopid question........

woobs
02-15-2014, 01:28 PM
As tides may turn... it's possible (just considering) that I may slide a SBF back into this Ski Sporter as opposed to my preferred, familiar and beloved 4.3 V6.

My concerns are in relation to an Merc ALPHA bellhousing that will fit the SBF...

...is it the 59823A or the 865657 to fit a 289/302 block?
Are these things still out there?

Am I crazy to consider the Ford in the light that I have access to a complete donor including exhaust? Should I just stick with the hyper-4.3 plan?

mattyboy
02-15-2014, 01:52 PM
As tides may turn... it's possible (just considering) that I may slide a SBF back into this Ski Sporter as opposed to my preferred, familiar and beloved 4.3 V6.

My concerns are in relation to an Merc ALPHA bellhousing that will fit the SBF...

...is it the 59823A or the 865657 to fit a 289/302 block?
Are these things still out there?

Am I crazy to consider the Ford in the light that I have access to a complete donor including exhaust? Should I just stick with the hyper-4.3 plan?

The merc 888 package used a ford small block i think that stuff will convert to an alpha. Mario also connected a small block ford to a bravo Rocky has that boat now.

using modern OMC or Volvo motors as the base should also help making hanging tinware and accessories off them easier. I would not go that route though

either a hot 4.3 or if you are going to an 8 banger go to chevy

Just Say N20
02-15-2014, 02:01 PM
I would go 4.3 or SBC.

What is the prevailing reason for considering a SBF?

:confused:

gcarter
02-15-2014, 02:13 PM
I would go 4.3 or SBC.

What is the prevailing reason for considering a SBF?

:confused:

I would guess because they can be teeny-tiny little light-weight thingys, but w/o many exhaust options.

woobs
02-15-2014, 04:27 PM
I would guess because they can be teeny-tiny little light-weight thingys, but w/o many exhaust options.

I have the opportunity to make a trade for a complete Ford interceptor (with eaton drive) package including the cool looking interceptor exhaust logs. It all needs to be rebuilt but I'd be building the 4.3 from scratch anyways.

Also from my racing days I have a few (shady) friends that are blue oval fans.... the possibility of an Aluminum block/heads on the cheap (with other GF parts) is a real one.

I love the 4.3 (or SBC) option as it's what I know but, when opportunity peeks out....:hyper:

Ed Donnelly
02-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Go big or go home
I have been running Ford engines(not in boats for over 30 years)
In my cars and trucks since 72 ...Ed

BUIZILLA
02-15-2014, 05:34 PM
an all aluminum 302 would be cool, this is one my 2nd brother built for his STOL airplane in Jackson Hole, he made literally EVERYTHING himself in his hanger / machine shop, including building the airplane himself..

www.haaspowerair.com (http://www.haaspowerair.com)

woobs
02-15-2014, 06:01 PM
this is one my 2nd brother built for his STOL airplane in Jackson Hole,

That is some pretty serious fracking cool stuff!
Talented Brother you have there....

BUIZILLA
02-15-2014, 06:57 PM
he even built the prop gearbox himself too... from scratch.. never took one flying lesson either, he taught himself to fly after buying a Piper PA28..

mattyboy
02-16-2014, 07:28 AM
I have the opportunity to make a trade for a complete Ford interceptor (with eaton drive) package including the cool looking interceptor exhaust logs. It all needs to be rebuilt but I'd be building the 4.3 from scratch anyways.

Also from my racing days I have a few (shady) friends that are blue oval fans.... the possibility of an Aluminum block/heads on the cheap (with other GF parts) is a real one.

I love the 4.3 (or SBC) option as it's what I know but, when opportunity peeks out....:hyper:

i love the old original boats but would I restore one back to the early 1960 technology no way in hell

what condition are the exhaust in? is it a 289 or a 260 interceptor? a true eaton or a volvo eaton?

the parts are around to build a hot ford they are a bit more expensive than chevy parts the real cost will be exhausts.

the 4.3 will give you more options or just rebuild the ford to original specs and be happy with a high 40 mph boat

like i said the newer omc volvo ford give you the most options and if you get sick of it a merc can be dropped in same cutout and all

the volvo stuff holds it's value well

or you could do this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/351-ford-extreme-marine-engine-450-hp-jet-ski-boat-omc-cobra-master-craft-chris-/251380066480?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item3a876b68b0&vxp=mtr)

then add one of these (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Penta-DPX-1-68-Sterndrive-872989-New-Outdrive-3868021-3868638-3868642-New-/360860503667?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item5404f64e73&vxp=mtr)

but you would need a pair of them (http://www.cpperformance.com/p-14927-302351-ford-indmar-replacement-exhaust-manifolds.aspx)

woobs
02-16-2014, 08:25 AM
what condition are the exhaust in? is it a 289 or a 260 interceptor?
the real cost will be exhausts.
the newer omc volvo ford give you the most options

The 289 Interceptor with all the mounts, exhausts (in good shape), brackets etc... just became available.
I would expect the entire motor to be junk.... the Volvo Eaton drive sure is! There is no way I'd use any OMC stuff and Volvo stuff is just too expensive. Also, there's very little Volvo support around here so, I stick to Merc stuff.

In this scenario I would probably just use the exhaust and any parts I needed to bolt in a brand new 347 stroker. I wasn't sure which bellhousing to use OR if one even existed for the SBF/ALPHA application. Since my old racing buddies have access to Ford stuff I was thinking it could be fun... and different. SBF hot rod parts are way more available than 4.3 performance parts . I think this is because most people just ditch the V6 in favour of a SBC for almost the same $.

I'm starting from scratch so, I can choose anything at this point.

I like the 4.3.. It's light, small-ish and I'm comfortable working around it. It is VERY expensive to do a 4.3 block and heads in aluminum but, not impossible and you still get around 300Hp. Not many cam choices. It loses respect because of the V6 but I think it can still perform to surprise people.

The Ford option is good because it is also small/light but, with available parts (including an exhaust if I want this one). An old school look with a modern punch somewhere around 360Hp... if I can figure out if it'll fit on an Alpha One.

A SBC is the last option... physically bigger, but also common. Lots of benefits here with respects to go fast parts/set up options hower, in my mind nothing too clever... Just what everybody else has.

I'm not sure how long I will own this boat or, how much $$$ I want to lose in building her "my way" whatever that is.... but, I'd like her to be cool, fun and unique-ish. That's why I have projects :)

mattyboy
02-16-2014, 08:35 AM
it is going to be tough to build a 347 stroker and bolt up any log style exhaust especially 45 yr old logs without hurting the rear cyl's you will need the hi teks or custom made $$CMI$$

BUIZILLA
02-16-2014, 08:42 AM
In this scenario I would probably just use the exhaust and any parts I needed to bolt in a brand new 347 stroker. ;) :D I wasn't sure which bellhousing to use OR if one even existed for the SBF/ALPHA application.

the 302/188 and 351/233 Ford / Merc's used interchanging Windsor parts..

woobs
02-16-2014, 08:55 AM
it is going to be tough to build a 347 stroker and bolt up any log style exhaust especially 45 yr old logs without hurting the rear cyl's you will need the hi teks or custom made $$CMI$$

Truly, if the old exhaust is not woth using the whole Ford issue is pretty much done. I used Hi-Tek on my 4.3 and can get them for the Ford landed for 2K if I have to.... Imco thumpers are about half of that for the 4.3... the extra thousand can be used better in the motor.

What about Glenwood logs for the SBF?

mattyboy
02-16-2014, 10:16 AM
the glenwood were used by Holman Moody they had their name stamped on them . they were good back in the day they were alum but still only good on lower stock power once you warm up the motor the end dump is hard on the back of the motor. I re used old risers and they weren't worth it nothing but headaches tested cleaned them . not sure what the interceptor risers are made out of but it would be a shame to build up a nice 347 then have the riser fail sucking in water and breaking something or get the motor hot rodded up and then clamp on an exhaust that doesn't let the motor breathe.

unique would be a strong 4.3 and an alpha with a look and style you want. once I can free up 30 k a volvo penta vp 430 dp is going in the hornet

woobs
02-16-2014, 11:45 AM
I hear ya Matty.
The hot rod 4.3 has been the plan until this opportunity arose... gotta check things out, right.

I hav to build one part at a time to spread the spending out over time and keep the missus guessing :rlol:

gcarter
02-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Ya need 8 to make it sound right. A 4.3 w/through hulls sound like a hive of angry bees.........
Or just keep it running through the drive.
I've seen a number of SBF/Merc flywheel covers on eBay, not lately though as I've not been looking.
It's a good place to set up an ongoing search.

gcarter
02-16-2014, 12:15 PM
I hav to build one part at a time to spread the spending out over time and keep the missus guessing :rlol:

That's what I did......no other way I could sink $50+K into a project, and it only took 6-1/2 years! :rlol:

woobs
02-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Angry bees?
LOL, I used to race a rotary (to 11,000rpm)... screamin' angry bees!!!

I may have to sit down and do some math and some figurin'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK6y-T7i-00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcK4s8_IlZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KMnQ4ue9LA

Fortunately, I have my family boat finished...but it was an 8 year ordeal/restoration.

gcarter
02-16-2014, 01:36 PM
REALLY nice looking woody Sean!
Even though wooden boats are a local cottage industry here in Lake County, Florida in nearby Mt. Dora, and Tavares, they really don't hold up well and require a lot of maintenance.
I guess thats a +1 for living in the far North.:yes:

woobs
02-16-2014, 01:48 PM
I Sooooooo want to come to Mt. Dora next month for the big woody show.
But, not this year. It's most definately on ther bucket list!

My boat is a '72 which makes it one of the last of the era... there are many local boats here over 100 years old. The main area is called Muskoka and is clear clean cold sweet water. many celebs have places on the big 3 lakes there. Fwiw... I have a trailer for my boat. :)