PDA

View Full Version : OWW to Fort Myers Beach, May 2-4th, 2014

Tidbart
02-11-2014, 10:35 AM
All,

We had such a good time last year, we are going to try again.

I am looking at the date above and staying at the Shipwreck Motel again. I am waiting for a call back from the hotel about the rates and availability. I believe the rooms are available, just have to confirm the rate. The woman I spoke with is fairly new and she had to confirm the "non-winter" rate.

Anyhow, let me know if you have interest in this years event. I will nail down the details later.

Bob

Tidbart
02-11-2014, 02:26 PM
Room price confirmed. $89/ includes docking.

Feel free to chime in anytime.

B

fegettes
02-11-2014, 06:12 PM
I am in. Last year was a good trip, can't wait to do it again.

Steve

Tidbart
02-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Have things gotten this bad? Barely any response. Last year, we did have 6 or 7 boats.

Give me something, I mean, I did put a lot of time into typing the first post. :rlol:

Even though he did not post, Budmann says he is interested. So, that would make three. :cool:

B

smokediver
02-20-2014, 10:58 AM
I am in.

Tidbart
02-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Great John.

That is:

Me
John
Steve
Bud

Let's keep it moving......:D

SunGator
03-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Just wondering if this was for Donzi boats that can go 60plus mph only?

If so, then I would have to pass. My boat looks great on the water, but she is not as fast as she looks.:(

Room price confirmed. $89/ includes docking.

Feel free to chime in anytime.

B

BUIZILLA
03-07-2014, 05:35 PM
for the lunch run last year NOBODY ran over 35 :eek: :toiletpap

if that makes you feel any better :shades:

Tidbart
03-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Just wondering if this was for Donzi boats that can go 60plus mph only?

If so, then I would have to pass. My boat looks great on the water, but she is not as fast as she looks.:(

Absolutely not. It is for anything that floats, not about speed. Cruising, partying, friends, and Donzis. All are welcome, even those without boats. So, come along and enjoy.

Bob

Tidbart
03-07-2014, 05:47 PM
for the lunch run last year NOBODY ran over 35 :eek: :toiletpap

if that makes you feel any better :shades:

Jim, hope u can make it this trip.

Tidbart
03-07-2014, 05:51 PM
I should post a phone number, shouldn't I.
Shipwreck Motel. (239) 463-4691. As last year, includes boat slip or parking space.

I just booked my room. Been kind of busy lately. :bonk:

Book yours soon.

Bob

SunGator
03-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Just booked my room too. Looks like we will be seeing you there. We live in Englewood FL and have the boat dry stacked at Palm Island Marina in Cape Haze so we will just cruise down to the motel on Friday and do an early check-in.:shades:

I should post a phone number, shouldn't I.
Shipwreck Motel. (239) 463-4691. As last year, includes boat slip or parking space.

I just booked my room. Been kind of busy lately. :bonk:

Book yours soon.

Bob

fegettes
03-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Just booked my room. Last year was a relaxing trip, can't wait to do it again. I'm surprised the last year attendees haven't chimed in, where the heck are they?

Steve

Tidbart
03-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Jeremy sold his18.
Spoke with Smokediver and Budmann on the phone.
I will give a call to Nick and see what he has been doing. I haven't seen him around here for a while.

B

Tidbart
03-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Updated list...

Me (Tidbart)
John (Smokediver)
Steve (Fegettes)
Bud (Budmann)
Nick (biggiefl)
Dan (Sungator)
Trevor (tiupc) No boat, Friday night guest from CAN.

Jim??? Come on buddy, you can do it. :yes::biggrin:

Any others??????????????? I promise good weather. :kingme:

hdsadey
03-13-2014, 08:56 PM
My boat is running. I'm headed to Leesburg Bikefest the weekend before. I would really like to finally attend this year. Is there still rooms available? Where will everybody be dumping in at and when?

Tidbart
03-14-2014, 07:41 AM
My boat is running. I'm headed to Leesburg Bikefest the weekend before. I would really like to finally attend this year. Is there still rooms available? Where will everybody be dumping in at and when?

You would need to call the Shipwreck Motel at (239) 463-4691. I am sure there are rooms available. Tell them you want to be on the end toward the beach.

Preliminary plan is to launch sometime on Friday, May 2nd, from WP Franklin Lock on the Caloosahatchee River, east of Fort Myers in Olga. Exact time will need to be hammered out later.

Hope you can make it this time. :yes:

Bob

biggiefl
03-28-2014, 11:51 PM
I will be there you douchemuffins :) Last year was great. Bringing my 13' Whaler so I am not obligated to do the Cabbage Key 5' small craft warningl run for a burger...see you at the hotel or beach! Can't wait, see you Saturday morning or late Friday night.

biggiefl
04-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Like I said I am in but not bringing my Donzi as last year was a disaster for it. Kidding...had nothing to do with an old battery and vapor lock as we had an awesome time with awesome people. I sold my Ram so I have a Wrangler that I am not quite sure I want to tow that far with it. Will bring my Boston Whaler and stay at the shipwreck. I am NOT going for another 25mph gail warning run this year but if weather permits, I know Bob will have room for Laurie & I or we will just island hop until you return. 22 is fine but situation is not ideal to bring and we want to cruise intercoastal instead of 3+ waves ;) If I don't see any info about shipwreck...call me with it Bob as I know we have a code or something. Are we staying next to the pool again or??? I can be there by 9 Friday or early sat. morn. Let me know if we are going to PARTY Friday or just get there at say 8-9am.

Tidbart
04-02-2014, 07:33 AM
Nick,

Post #19 has the number for the Shipwreck. Just call give them the dates and tell you are with the Donzi group. No special code needed. Rate is what, $89?

I, and others will be there Friday. Not sure what time, I will get there yet. Depends on wife's work and daughter's school schedule. I will figure it out later.

So, whenever you want to come down.......

B

biggiefl
04-03-2014, 08:44 PM
I'll call yu Bob but we are in no doubt

biggiefl
04-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Booked for Friday & Saturday. Gonna see if we can take off and get there like noon Friday. See ya'll there by 9pm if not. Bob call me if anything important comes up as I may not frequent here with new JOB...oh I hate that word. JIM....don't be a wuss. That eco-tech can make it ;)

PS...$10 extra for car/truck if you have a boat at dock. $10 extra for trailer. Girl was new so if anyone can confirm that would be great. If anyone knows of a place to stash tiny trailer please advise as well.

Tidbart
04-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Nick, that sounds about right on the parking. You either get one free boat or one free car included with the room. More is extra.
Ob

biggiefl
04-10-2014, 09:31 PM
No problem...just wanted to double check as the receptionist was a rookie. I will either pay to play or possibly find a spot to park. See you Friday. and Bob keep me in touch as usual.

biggiefl
04-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Better get some better interest & participation or I am cancelling. Only 2+ weeks away kids.

Tidbart
04-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Better get some better interest & participation or I am cancelling. Only 2+ weeks away kids.

Whoa big fella. :) I admit there hasn't been a ton of posts by people, but that doesn't mean nobody is attending. The list on post 15 still stands as far as I know. Most, if not all have their rooms booked and are just waiting for trip to happen.

The way things are looking for me is this.... I plan on parking at WP Franklin Lock on Friday. I, most likely will not be able to get there prior to about 3 pm. Then launch and leave for the FMB by about 4. Then head down river to motel. Then return on Sunday.

Hopefully someone will be able to join me on the Friday run.

I will update with some itinerary ideas as I get them. I have been particularly busy lately, just got back from Chicago, and have a friend coming from out of town this week.

B

BUIZILLA
04-18-2014, 09:56 AM
we have other family plans this weekend so we won't able to attend

still a great area to boat, we really like it around there

fegettes
04-19-2014, 07:54 AM
?????? But, I thought we were your family? ….oh well, I understand all to well about family stuff and missing out on other obligations. We will miss you.

3PM on Friday? I really liked meeting at noon last year, liked the leisure cruise down to Ft. Myers, Friday weather was the best of the whole weekend.

biggiefl
04-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Just raising some interest. See you Friday. Not sure where.

Tidbart
04-21-2014, 11:50 AM
3PM on Friday? I really liked meeting at noon last year, liked the leisure cruise down to Ft. Myers, Friday weather was the best of the whole weekend.

Steve,
I am trying to get there earlier. Right now, my wife can't get off work til about noonish. So, I am at the mercy of her employer. This is no way means anyone has to wait for me.

As things get closer, I will update.

Bob

Tidbart
04-25-2014, 11:02 AM
Our trip is one week away. Woohoo!

I have perusing Google Earth for lunch runs for Saturday. Last year we ran to Cabbage Key and had great lunch and some beverages. I have come with a couple of other choices that are not as long a run, just in case......

Distance from FMB, approx.

Cabbage Key - 25 mi. NW
Green Flash, Captiva - 15 mi. WNW
Flipper's, Lover's Key - 6 mi. SE
3 Fishermen at BW, N. Fort Myers - 21 mi. NE

I will keep searching....

B

fegettes
04-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Cabbage Key was great, and the distance was good, however, windy with rough water. My suggestion would be to keep this destination as a Plan B if we do not have windy conditions.

Tidbart
04-25-2014, 06:10 PM
Steve,

I was looking at all options for differing wind and weather conditions. We can make a decision Friday evening over a few cold ones.

Right now, the weather is looking OK. But we still have a ways to go. :crossfing:

B

SunGator
04-27-2014, 05:43 PM
Here are just a couple of ideas for a lunch run. 2 of these places I have NOT been to, and they are:

1. http://www.waterfrontrestaurant.com/

2. http://www.woodyswaterside.com/

This next one I have been to a couple of times, its a little tricky to get into, but once your inside the little bay area then its got channel markers that leads directly to the ample docking and there is a dockmaster on hand to assist in parking. Its another one that you may consider if weather permits for a fairly long run, not as far as Cabbage Key, but what I most like about it is that there are no roads to get there, only boat or sea plane. After lunch, I was also thinking that we could take our families to the very nice beach that is only 1/2mile north of North Captiva Island and hang out on the South end of Cayo Costa Island. You can see it very clearly on Google Earth. Here is the link to Barnacle Phil's: http://www.barnaclesislandresort.com/

The first two I was thinking that would be close just in case it turns out to be to windy.

Steve,

I was looking at all options for differing wind and weather conditions. We can make a decision Friday evening over a few cold ones.

Right now, the weather is looking OK. But we still have a ways to go. :crossfing:

B

Tidbart
04-27-2014, 06:37 PM
Great info. We will have to have powwow Friday evening to discuss where to go.

Bob

Tidbart
04-28-2014, 08:38 AM
I have not been able to make changes to my plans for Friday's launch. My wife can't get out of work early, so I can't get on the road until about 1 pm. This puts me at the ramp at WP Franklin around 4 pm.

If anyone else will be there later in the afternoon and want to run together, let me know.

Of course you can launch anytime you like, I just can't. I will have to meet up with everyone at the hotel later on.

Bob

321-436-5704

fegettes
04-29-2014, 06:16 PM
I am going to target getting at the ramp around 11AM, take my time launching if anyone wants to join me.

W.P. Franklin Lock Recreation Area (SOUTH)
16099 Old Olga Rd.
Alva, FL 33920

Just off SR-80.

Steve
281-728-1704

Tidbart
04-30-2014, 10:22 AM
I am going to target getting at the ramp around 11AM, take my time launching if anyone wants to join me.

W.P. Franklin Lock Recreation Area (SOUTH)
16099 Old Olga Rd.
Alva, FL 33920

Just off SR-80.

Steve
281-728-1704

Steve,

Here is what I can determine...
Sungator coming by water from the north.
Smokediver put in south of FMB last year. I would assume he will do the same.
Me, later in the afternoon.
BiggieFl, not sure where he is putting in. I believe he is bringing his Whaler.
Budmann, I have no idea whether he is coming or not. ???
tiupc has no boat.

So, unless I hear from Buddy, have I nice leisurely cruise and I will do the same. See you at the hotel. :)

B

biggiefl
04-30-2014, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=Tidbart;650803]Steve,

Here is what I can determine...
Sungator coming by water from the north.
Smokediver put in south of FMB last year. I would assume he will do the same.
Me, later in the afternoon.
BiggieFl, not sure where he is putting in. I believe he is bringing his Whaler.
Budmann, I have no idea whether he is coming or not. ???
tiupc has no boat.

I am out Friday due to wife working and car in shop and I would not get there till about 11pm. Should be there by 9:30 ish Saturday morn. Might bring 13' Whaler but it looks like 60+% rain by me, not sure about 80mi south. Bob I lost your number please call me asap. Just want to know if you guys jet early where to meet for lunch or at 3pm at a beach by intercoastal etc. Looking forward to it, gonna be fun. Bringing plenty of beer ;)

SunGator
04-30-2014, 08:28 PM
I Might be leaving Palm Island marina around 8:30am to arrive at Salty Sam's Marina (just south of FMB on the innercoastal main land side) for refuel and lunch around 11:30am.

My wife has just told me that IF she gets to take time off, it might be at 12 noon on Friday, in which case I would wait for her and take off at that time, or otherwise she would not be able to leave until Saturday night (worst case scenario), just in time to join us for supper. That would suck, but she has only been with her new job for about 8 months, no vacation time accrued until after 1 year. She works Tuesday - Saturday normally. She had it previously approved, however her boss is now starting to renege on the time off.:frown:

If you anyone has a problem or just wants to make contact, feel free to email, call or text me any time.

Email: larsen1523@yahoo.com
Phone: 813-267-0245

SunGator
04-30-2014, 08:52 PM
According to some of the local channels and "The Weather Channel", it's 30% chance on Friday and 40% Saturday and Sunday, HOWEVER, I have witnessed that change in less than 24 hours, so Friday morning would be the best time to get the weather forcast from www.theweatherchannel.com (http://www.theweatherchannel.com)

Tidbart
05-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Looks like winds will be about 12mph on Sat out of the SW. This will be good for the boating on the ICW as anything north will be blocked by Sanibel and Captiva. Much better than last year. :)

B

SunGator
05-01-2014, 03:04 PM
As I said, weather keeps changing. According to this weather site :
http://orlando.justweather.com/
It appears that for Saturday we went from 40% to 90%, but if you look at detailed info for Saturday (hour by hour), it shows partly cloudy, until 4pm then it shows rain at 40%:boggled:??? and Sunday shows 0% rain, OF COARSE!!!

Once you are on that site, the little white oval area, you can put in Fort Myers Florida and hit enter, then it will take you to that area for weather. I have been using that site for years when I lived in Jacksonville and would boat down to Silver Glenn Springs and for the most part, it was fairly accurate once it got about 12 to 18 hours from launch time.

SunGator
05-01-2014, 09:15 PM
My wife's boss decided to take Friday and Saturday off, which means she has to work both days. Looks like worse case scenario came true.

The earliest I could get the marina to launch my boat is 8:45am, so I will probably get to Salty Sam's Marina between 12 and 1pm, weather permitting.

If this event turns out to be a no-show, then I would appreciate a phone call or text.

Be safe and take care and I hope to see everyone this weekend.:cool!:

fegettes
05-02-2014, 05:49 AM
My wife's boss decided to take Friday and Saturday off, which means she has to work both days. Looks like worse case scenario came true. OUCH! Bummer!

If this event turns out to be a no-show, then I would appreciate a phone call or text. Dan, I am leaving the house in a few minutes, will see you this afternoon. My cell: 281-728-1704 Steve

Be safe and take care and I hope to see everyone this weekend.:cool!:

Likewise, be safe.

Tidbart
05-02-2014, 11:34 AM
I will be there this evening

Bob

biggiefl
05-02-2014, 11:45 PM
See everyone around 9:30-10am. If I miss you then will connect after noon. Wife & I have no problem hanging out. See you tomorrow dudes.

SunGator
05-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Had a great weekend, meeting great people and great food. Big Thanks to Bob (Tidbart) for putting all this together, I look forward to it to the next rally. Please enjoy the next few pictures and videos.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ce6jrlgx03umwa/P5030007.MOV

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pc7m1u1dwx5ote5/P5040031.MOV

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6h57wf18qe5ynn7/P5030005.MOV

Steve - Please take a look at the pic of your boat (look closely) to see the intruder. He blended in with your boat very well, and SOMEBODY pleasssseeee tell me what it is in the video of 5040031.

tiupc
05-05-2014, 10:24 AM
It was great to meet all of you Friday at the Shipwreck and also see you again at the Yucatan Restaurant By the videos, it looks like you got out some on Saturday. When I flew out Sunday Morning, it looked you would have a great day. Maybe
next time I will try to fit the boat on the plane..

Best Regards

Trevor and Gilda

Tidbart
05-05-2014, 10:44 AM
It was great to meet all of you Friday at the Shipwreck and also see you again at the Yucatan Restaurant By the videos, it looks like you got out some on Saturday. When I flew out Sunday Morning, it looked you would have a great day. Maybe
next time I will try to fit the boat on the plane..

Best Regards

Trevor and Gilda

Trevor,

Nice to meet you and Gilda. You are welcome anytime. Oh, and thanks for the round of drinks!

Bob

Tidbart
05-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Had a great weekend, meeting great people and great food. Big Thanks to Bob (Tidbart) for putting all this together, I look forward to it to the next rally. Please enjoy the next few pictures and videos.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ce6jrlgx03umwa/P5030007.MOV

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pc7m1u1dwx5ote5/P5040031.MOV

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6h57wf18qe5ynn7/P5030005.MOV

Steve - Please take a look at the pic of your boat (look closely) to see the intruder. He blended in with your boat very well, and SOMEBODY pleasssseeee tell me what it is in the video of 5040031.

Dan,

Was nice meeting you. Look forward to another gathering sometime in the future.

B

PS, that looks like a sea hare in the movie. They are edible, by the way, not that I want to eat one.

SunGator
05-05-2014, 03:30 PM
79557795587955979560 Thanks for the info Bob. Here are some photos and one video that I took on Sunday right as I went to Salty Sams Marina and got some food from Big Game waterfront bar and grill. Once I went out around the FMB point to enter the Gulf, I found that it was only 2 foot chop on the water, so I hammered out up to the Sanibel bridge and then got onto the inner coastal and made the run up to Cape Haze, back to my marina. Beautiful run a little windy up around Port Charlotte, but otherwise it was just about perfect.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/484svkkmp5lqhzs/P5040016.MOV

fegettes
05-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Trevor,

Nice to meet you and Gilda. You are welcome anytime. Oh, and thanks for the round of drinks!

Bob

Plus 1. Great to meet you also Trevor and Gilda. Much appreciated, thanks for the round of drinks. Please come back, warm up, and enjoy this weather anytime, always have room for you in my boat.

And great to meet you too Dan, hope to meet Angie when she can get away.

This was Donna's first Donzi event, she loved it.

The weather? Could have been better, but always a good time with a group of boaters, Donzi boaters.

Steve