PDA

View Full Version : Problem with external steering

AGCF
02-11-2014, 02:29 AM
I bought a Zieger dual ram add-on system last year and now I ran into some problems installing it. My thought was, because the old steering is also hydraulic. Could I in some way use the parts I've got to get a complete system with the same oil flowing all the way? What parts would I need? The old steering is single ram and the new is dual ram..

Conquistador_del_mar
02-11-2014, 03:15 AM
I don't understand your question. If you previously had a single ram add on system, the dual ram needs the dual wing plate and the second ram with its hoses. The single ram hoses need a T fitting that will be installed where the first sytem hoses go through the transom. On the second ram, the hoses will go to the opposite ends of the ram from the first ram hydraulics at the Tees. This is how my IMCO dual ram add on system worked. This way, the hydrualic fluid makes the first ram pull while the second ram pushes - make sense? Bill

MOP
02-11-2014, 06:53 AM
When you say add on are you talking about the system that uses the original cable and existing p/s system. If so you need to buy a Brazil valve, it is pretty simple and less expensive for sure, plus it leaves you with back up steering to get you home something full systems can not do.

AGCF
02-11-2014, 07:22 AM
The boat is a Donzi 22 classic w blackhawk drive. The original steering is a single ram internal hydraulic. I'm not 100% sure of this. When turning you have to steer a lot compared to the distance the drive travels. Also the position of the steering when driving straight ahead changes a bit with every turn.

Because the steering relied on one single bolt I decided to buy a add-on dual ram external steering from Zieger / Everett Performance. It consists pretty much of the parts installed in the picture.

You think this is what I need to buy?
http://www.westcoastoffshore.ca/ZEIGER-BRAZIL-CONTROL-VALVE-MANIFOLD-ASSEMBLY-P1987.aspx

What does the brazil valve to?

Thank you for your help.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-11-2014, 12:10 PM
If I were in your shoes, I would call Zeiger directly to walk you through your installation. If you have a helm pump, you probably need a larger cc pump, but if you have a regular PS add on system there could be many issues. Did you bleed the system before firing on the hose? I should add that if you have an add on system to the pre existing PS system, you should tie off the outdrive to your lifting eyes to prevent the drive from quickly going one way and possibly breaking the gimbal before the system has a chance to equalize. I had problems with my IMCO add on system in a Warlock 28' and the problem ended up being a bad control valve actuator. Good luck - :doh: Bill

gcarter
02-11-2014, 12:45 PM
maybe this will help:

justleft
02-12-2014, 02:10 PM
If it is an "add-on" ext dual hydraulic ram steering. Then the new rams connect to the valve that controls the current internal
cylinder. It will be a Saginaw or Brazil valve. You need to know which because they use different fittings. The current internal
cylinder is disconnected. Your steering cable from the helm is currently connecter to that valve.

But if your complaint is "too many wheel turns lock-to-lock" an add-on ext kit will not change the gear ratio inside your helm (steering box).
So if it is 3 1/2 turns from lock-to-lock it will remain the same.

Then when you say the wheel is in different place after every turn ? Maybe time for new steering cable and/or helm ?
But could be a non pressurized Sea Star hydraulic like was in my Hydrostream OB. If that's the case you will need everything to go pressurized
hydraulics.

Does your motor have a power steering pump ? A picture of the inside of the transom & engine compartment would also help.

osur866
02-14-2014, 08:39 AM
I had an internal hyd system on my 18 and best thing to do is guy all of it and make it a full system. That is what I did