PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble figuring out what year my donzi 16

chris gaede
02-09-2014, 11:58 PM
Anybody know what year donzi 16 i have , its has a 351 windsor in it and berkeley jet drive 7883578836

XMETAL
02-10-2014, 12:09 AM
Does it have a hull #?

chris gaede
02-10-2014, 12:14 AM
Does it have a hull #?
no i have checked every where no hull number even under the dash and up at the bow inside , i heard they used to write it in felt pen inside the bow but its all glassed over and cant see anything

chris gaede
02-10-2014, 12:19 AM

Scott Pearson
02-10-2014, 05:54 AM
Looks like an 18...not a 16?

Just Say N20
02-10-2014, 05:56 AM
More pictures would be helpful, but I'm suspecting it might be a clone, or Donzi splash.

I bet it is a blast to drive as a jet!

jl1962
02-10-2014, 06:37 AM
Probably not a Donzi. Others will chime in.

Deck is wrong, cockpit is wrong, hardware is wrong.
Most likely a splash/copy as N20 said.

If you have any serial numbers on the drive or engine, some here may be able to decipher.

How long have you had it? Where do you boat?

Nice clear water in that first picture.

mattyboy
02-10-2014, 07:53 AM
The tub liner looks to be a vance they did make a a SPLASH copy of the donzi 16 but it had twin buckets instead of the Lounge seating it also had half gunwales inside the boat.

If you have any serial numbers on the motor or jet drive I may be able to help de-code them

chris gaede
02-10-2014, 12:18 PM
The tub liner looks to be a vance they did make a a SPLASH copy of the donzi 16 but it had twin buckets instead of the Lounge seating it also had half gunwales inside the boat.

If you have any serial numbers on the motor or jet drive I may be able to help de-code them
what do you mean bye half gun whales inside the boat ? the jet drive is missing the numbers plate usually its on the shaft bearing housing but not there on this one but it looks like a berkly .

chris gaede
02-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Probably not a Donzi. Others will chime in.

Deck is wrong, cockpit is wrong, hardware is wrong.
Most likely a splash/copy as N20 said.

If you have any serial numbers on the drive or engine, some here may be able to decipher.

How long have you had it? Where do you boat?

Nice clear water in that first picture.
I have had the boat for about 5 years now . i boat in okanagan lake in kelowna bc canada

chris gaede
02-10-2014, 12:23 PM
More pictures would be helpful, but I'm suspecting it might be a clone, or Donzi splash.

Ya it handles rough water great can jump it right out of the water and the landings are nice smooth you dont get your guts slammed it only does gps it at 55 mph and throw one hell of a rooster tail

chris gaede
02-10-2014, 12:30 PM

Ya the boat also has a very extreme strake no matter how much trim u give this boat you cant get the bow up

mattyboy
02-10-2014, 12:38 PM
what do you mean bye half gun whales inside the boat ? the jet drive is missing the numbers plate usually its on the shaft bearing housing but not there on this one but it looks like a berkly .

the donzi 16 tub liner is "double walled" so the inside of cockpit liner covers the outside gunwale. the lance has a liner that comes down half way from the deck , then underneath that you can see and touch the outside gunwale.

chris gaede
02-10-2014, 12:45 PM
the donzi 16 tub liner is "double walled" so the inside of cockpit liner covers the outside gunwale. the lance has a liner that comes down half way from the deck , then underneath that you can see and touch the outside gunwale.
Yes mine comes down half way and u can touch outside gun whales . dam was really hoping it was a true donzi sad.

mattyboy
02-10-2014, 12:55 PM
does the hull have any hook in it ? intentional( put there by mfg'r) or unintentional ( damage caused by sitting on a trailer unsupported)

the donzi 16 had hook placed in the hull on the outer chine area about 5-6 inches from the transom . this helped the boat plane driving the nose down then as speed increased the hook was up out of the water. bow lift is never an issue with an I/O 16.

if your hull has hook in it it may be hard to get the nose up

chris gaede
02-10-2014, 01:00 PM
does the hull have any hook in it ? intentional( put there by mfg'r) or unintentional ( damage caused by sitting on a trailer unsupported)

the donzi 16 had hook placed in the hull on the outer chine area about 5-6 inches from the transom . this helped the boat plane driving the nose down then as speed increased the hook was up out of the water. bow lift is never an issue with an I/O 16.

Do you mean its strake ? yes my boat has an extreme strake or hook about 5-6 inches from the transom and yes you cant get the bow out of the water no matter how much trim u give it . i believe it was put there from the manufacturer .

chris gaede
02-10-2014, 01:04 PM

yes my boat has an extreme strake or hook on the rear hull no matter how much trim u give it you cant get the bow out of the water .

mattyboy
02-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Strakes are different from Hook

Strakes are v shaped additions to the hull running bow to stern usually called lifting strakes which help get the boat up out of the water.

there are usually two strakes an outer and an inner strake the outer ones run to the transom the inner usually end short of the transom.

If you boat has longer inner strakes and hook it could be the hook and the added stern lift from the strakes driving the nose down.

search hook here it will show you where the hook on the 16 is .

chris gaede
02-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Strakes are different from Hook

Strakes are v shaped additions to the hull running bow to stern usually called lifting strakes which help get the boat up out of the water.

there are usually two strakes an outer and an inner strake the outer ones run to the transom the inner usually end short of the transom.

If you boat has longer inner strakes and hook it could be the hook and the added stern lift from the strakes driving the nose down.

search hook here it will show you where the hook on the 16 is .
oh ok i see the difference but ya it has an extreme hook . Does that mean its a donzi ? did the vance have a hook to it as well ?

mattyboy
02-10-2014, 01:26 PM
oh ok i see the difference but ya it has an extreme hook . Does that mean its a donzi ? did the vance have a hook to it as well ?

no sorry to say hook would not make it a donzi , do you have pictures of the hook? yes usually the splashes had hook too.

chris gaede
02-10-2014, 01:42 PM
no sorry to say hook would not make it a donzi , do you have pictures of the hook? yes usually the splashes had hook too.
yes heres one not the best pic but shows hook 78839

chris gaede
02-10-2014, 01:51 PM

mattyboy
02-10-2014, 02:14 PM
hard to tell from the small picture but that is about the same hook as the 16 . with an I/O that part of the hull is up and out of the water so it doesn't really hold the nose down that much at speed. Not a jet guy so don't know if the jet is going to have the same bow lifting abiulity as an I/O with a prop designed for bow lift like the volvo ultra

chris gaede
02-10-2014, 03:07 PM
hard to tell from the small picture but that is about the same hook as the 16 . with an I/O that part of the hull is up and out of the water so it doesn't really hold the nose down that much at speed. Not a jet guy so don't know if the jet is going to have the same bow lifting abiulity as an I/O with a prop designed for bow lift like the volvo ultra

mattyboy
02-10-2014, 03:12 PM
looks to run much flatter but more stable ( no prop torque) than an I/O version even on glass like that.

chris gaede
02-10-2014, 03:44 PM

heres a little vid of it running

Gerk
02-10-2014, 09:27 PM
The hull seems to be a little more rounded than Donzi.
Looks to me more similar to a Four Winns U17.

Ed Donnelly
02-10-2014, 10:06 PM
I have had the boat for about 5 years now . i boat in okanagan lake in kelowna bc canada

I lived in Vernon in the 70's
and ran my 16 from Vernon to Kelowna daily....Ed

mattyboy
02-11-2014, 06:26 AM
review this thread i think this is a vance as well and it has many of the same features as yours including the back seat

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?64727-Reviving-a-HM-289&highlight=reviving+a+289

glashole
02-11-2014, 08:18 AM
how does the Jet work when running in some chop?

Lenny
02-11-2014, 10:48 AM
As stated on another site, I would bet money that this is a Starfire, a local boat Company that splashed a 16 and many were made and sold in kit form. Most were V-drives.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/1969-Donzi-Clone_18407795

This is one of a numnber I have seen over the years. I looked at two of them to purchase back in the day when I thought they were a Donzi. The engine hatch and inner dash/side/tub area was heavily modified.

Looking for "MY" pictures still of the couple I looked at...

Lenny
02-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Yeller, is Glen, lived in Vancouver at the time, moved and purchased a business and now lives in Victoria. He sold his clone DONZI 16 jet in about 2005/2006 in Vancouver or out your way, and bought a 22 Anniversary Edition.

Quick responses! Too quick actually...I have to pull myself away and get to work before I get fired. :)
Poodle: Sorry but not gonna take ya up on your offer just yet. :biggrin: The 16 is a Donzi copy. Friends dad has the molds so I built it with the jet.

This quote above is from 2005...

chris gaede
02-11-2014, 09:03 PM
how does the Jet work when running in some chop?
the jet is great i would never go back to a prop boat , the hull takes a lickin and keeps on tickin lol just have to get off the throttle quick when u jump it over the chop . i have the boat out of the water quite often . rougher the water the faster it goes lol.

chris gaede
02-11-2014, 09:27 PM
As stated on another site, I would bet money that this is a Starfire, a local boat Company that splashed a 16 and many were made and sold in kit form. Most were V-drives.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/1969-Donzi-Clone_18407795

This is one of a numnber I have seen over the years. I looked at two of them to purchase back in the day when I thought they were a Donzi. The engine hatch and inner dash/side/tub area was heavily modified.

Looking for "MY" pictures still of the couple I looked at...
wow ya lenny very similar too mine eh the engine cover is even bigger than mine and at the back where my light is mine seems to much more rounded there .