PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone ID This Old Race Boat?

Greg Guimond
01-30-2014, 09:17 PM
I think this picture was perhaps around 1970 but that is about all I have............

gcarter
01-31-2014, 05:33 AM
Just a guess.....

"Ghostrider"

gcarter
01-31-2014, 05:37 AM
Never mind.......It's not the same

http://www.878help.com/images/ghostrider2.jpg

mattyboy
01-31-2014, 07:25 AM
strakes look Bertramesque

Kenosha transport ?

did you check on HORBA

Greg Guimond
01-31-2014, 09:49 AM
Couple of good stabs. What do you guys think about the flag and length? Looks to be around a 30 footer??

Tidbart
01-31-2014, 12:58 PM
Is that a Telstar?

Greg Guimond
01-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Never mind.......It's not the same

http://www.878help.com/images/ghostrider2.jpg

George, what vintage is Ghost Rider roughly? It has a somewhat similar stern line.

Greg Guimond
01-31-2014, 01:05 PM
Is that a Telstar?

You may be onto something with Telstar, vintage 1968??

scippy
01-31-2014, 01:51 PM
Don't know, but That's a Queen Mary trailer though!

Morgan's Cloud
01-31-2014, 02:08 PM
Jim Wynne's Ghost Rider was his (American design) but built in the UK.

Whatever it is that's pictured looks like it's a tunnel hull if you look closely at the bow .
It is however unlikely that if it's a 60's vintage boat that it's a tunnel hull .

These photos can be so deceiving . I also recommend checking with HORBA

Maybe I'll dig out my John Crouse autographed copy of Searace and see if there's anything resembling it in there .

Ghost
01-31-2014, 02:15 PM
The lines (and the flag) remind me of a European (think it was UK) performance boat from the early 80s, the Tempest 30 I think it was.

Morgan's Cloud
01-31-2014, 04:32 PM
The lines (and the flag) remind me of a European (think it was UK) performance boat from the early 80s, the Tempest 30 I think it was.

To me there's just something 70's ish about the photo . The guy's appearance and clothing and the old 'Trojan' sign .
If it was taken in the US was it a picture showing the new owner who had just imported it or is it a guy standing next to a boat that had been imported from the Continent for a US race ?

Like I said, these old photos can be very deceiving.

Anyone else pick up on what looks like a split bow ?

Ghost
01-31-2014, 04:41 PM
To me there's just something 70's ish about the photo . The guy's appearance and clothing and the old 'Trojan' sign .
If it was taken in the US was it a picture showing the new owner who had just imported it or is it a guy standing next to a boat that had been imported from the Continent for a US race ?

Like I said, these old photos can be very deceiving.

Anyone else pick up on what looks like a split bow ?

Agreed, I think it looks like early 70s or even earlier in the pic. Just thought the lines of the hull reminded of the later Tempest production boat from the 80s.

Also, I do see what you mean about the bow.

damm-magnum1
01-31-2014, 05:27 PM
strakes look Bertramesque

Kenosha transport ?

did you check on HORBA

Kenosha Auto Transport was a boat and auto shipping company back in the mid 70s. They shipped my Magnum Sport from Miami to Toms River NJ in 1976. They had been in business for while back then. They would ship on your trailer or theirs.
A pretty good shipping back then.

Thank you
Jim

Tidbart
01-31-2014, 06:34 PM
Think Tommy Sopwith. His dad made Snoopy famous. :biggrin.: He raced Telstars and used the number 400.
B

gcarter
01-31-2014, 06:44 PM
Ghost Rider was built by Souters (I think, and a VERY famous yard on Cowes) in the late '60's. I love the reverse transom and the side exit exhaust (twins).
Do any of you guys ever think about the fact that all the European and some of the American race boats of that era were wooden boats?

HallJ
02-03-2014, 11:58 AM
It looks like a typical Walters Strake layout.

Think Fino, Ghost Rider and Maritime. It was a cat design for Tommy Sopwith. Another Walters project. Not too successful apparently.

An email across the pond has confirmed it. One of the first cats in offshore it was called "Flyover"

I haven't seen a good side shot of it before. See Mike's website----- http://www.classicoffshore.com/blog/2013/10/25/

Where did you find the picture?

Jeff

Greg Guimond
02-03-2014, 12:38 PM
It looks like a typical Walters Strake layout. Where did you find the picture? Jeff

Jeff, the picture was sent to me by Wilbur McDonald's daughter who was about 16 at the time he died. I believe she sent another photo which I will try to dig up.

yeller
02-06-2014, 12:12 AM
Greg, FYI: your PM box is full

HallJ
02-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Jeff, the picture was sent to me by Wilbur McDonald's daughter who was about 16 at the time he died. I believe she sent another photo which I will try to dig up.

Greg, Did you find more pictures?

Jeff

HallJ
02-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Here is some footage of it at the end--------

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/power-boats-great-race

Jeff

Greg Guimond
02-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Greg, Did you find more pictures?

Jeff

Jeff the only other picture that Pam sent me is below

HallJ
03-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Incredible! Two Maritimes. Another Walters creation.

Thanks. Does she have any more?

Jeff

Greg Guimond
03-04-2014, 08:13 PM
I don't believe so Jeff. I think there may be one of a cat with twin OB's but not sure, I will look. It's a shame how great stuff gets lost over the years :frown:

BUIZILLA
03-04-2014, 08:24 PM
that pic looks like the Dupont Plaza docks in MIA

Greg Guimond
04-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Incredible! Two Maritimes. Another Walters creation. Thanks. Does she have any more?

Jeff

Here is the picture of the cat. Hard to tell but looks like it might be mid '60s vintage.

HallJ
07-25-2014, 08:31 AM
Greg,

That is definitely Sopwith's "Flyover".
Looks like Walt on the Starboard side.

Jeff

HallJ
07-25-2014, 08:37 AM
Jeff the only other picture that Pam sent me is below

Greg,

The boat on the right is the first Maritime built. I had two Daytona engines with Truck 3 speeds in it. It was raced by Jim Wynne and Walt the first year.
It was then sold to Bill Wishnick and named Broad Jumper.

The one on the left was of course the first turbine powered offshore racer.
After it's first season racing it was sold to Kiekhaefer and raced by Odel.

Jeff

Greg Guimond
07-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Greg,

The boat on the right is the first Maritime built. I had two Daytona engines with Truck 3 speeds in it. It was raced by Jim Wynne and Walt the first year.

Jeff

Odel Lewis? Wow you are digging deep with some very cool information that was before my time. Some other guys on this board may chime in. Do you happen to recognize anything about the twin OB powered boat?

HallJ
07-28-2014, 07:17 AM
It's cool? It's made of wood?

Jeff

Morgan's Cloud
07-28-2014, 09:51 AM
Greg,

Jeff

I believe that David Hardtman of Hornet Marine's father had a lot to do with this boat .

HallJ
07-28-2014, 07:44 PM
That is absolutely correct. There's even pictures of it on one of Pratt and Whitney's web sites. The boat is now in Colorado.

Jeff

Greg Guimond
07-28-2014, 09:34 PM
Here is the picture of the cat. Hard to tell but looks like it might be mid '60s vintage.

It's cool? It's made of wood? Jeff

Jeff, I'm not exactly sure if the Cat with twin outboards is made out of wood or not. From the look of the picture though I think those motors on the back are probably Evinrude X-115's. If that is true than that would date the Cat around 1966 or so which is before I was born. All of the photos were provided to me by Wilbur McDonald's daughter with additional details added by Wilbur's oldest son Gregg.

HallJ
07-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Greg,

It is made of wood. Your date is about right. It was repowered with Mercs later.

Here is some footage of it. @ 1.00 http://www.britishpathe.com/video/power-boats-great-race

Jeff