PDA

View Full Version : 40th Anniversary Editions - How many/Who's got em?

jl1962
01-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Here's mine!

I've been watching this boat for years. Our old Ski Sporter was about this color.
After a lot of patience, a little sleuthing and a bit of karma - I was able to buy it.

So - how many did they make?

I think under 5 16s, about 11 18s and about 40 22s.
I know it's just gel and upholstery, but I think Donzi got these right - once the Great Pumpkin showed them the way!
Can't wait till spring.

Just Say N20
01-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Wow!

I have admired that Donzi for years. It just shouts super classy. Congratulations!

And no more Volvo deficiencies (no trim, small prop selection, etc.).

Nicely done!

Look familiar? ;)

Ghost
01-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Absolutely gorgeous!

jl1962
01-30-2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks guys!

It was always going to take something special for me to part w/ the 16.
This time I couldn't resist.

Bill - your pictures are from when the boat went to Oregon.

I'm the 5th owner, although technically the 4th as owner's 1 and 4 are the same (and 2 and 3 probably put less than 10 hours on it)!

-Owner 1 bought it new from Nelem's and took it to Maine
-Owner 2, a property developer, bought it for investment (a boat! HA!)- right before real estate tanked and didn't use it. He also owned a nice X-18 - looked just like the brochure boat - might've been the brochure boat!, and a red, very restored '64 16 w/ a Muncie connection. I hear he has since recovered financially.
-Owner 3 got it as part of a legal settlement for a business deal gone south w/ owner # 2 and didn't use it.
-Owner 4 is the same gentleman who bought it new and regretted selling it. I put him in touch w/ owner 3 and he brought it back east three years ago. I told him if he ever sold to please give me first shot. True to his word, he did. :)

Other than the trailer having some road rash, the boat is like new (it was always shrink wrapped in transit) and has under 100 hours. Richard Weaver has cared for it since new - except for the three years it was in the diaspora!

I have mixed feelings about selling the 16, but I barely have time for one Donzi much less two.
Something old, something new, something red and something blue!

mattyboy
01-30-2014, 03:54 PM
may this one bring you as much happiness as the last one

trust me you may miss the 16 at first but moving to a larger boat will soon erase those memories well may be not at wax time ;)

jl1962
01-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Thanks Matty.

It will invite a lot of comparisons: old/new, 16/18, Volvo/Merc.
But it's kind of apples to oranges - both are cool!

But after 8 summers with an older boat, I'm ready for 8 summers with a newer boat.
After that - I'll probably be ready for a nice Lyman! :rlol:

As an aside - it appears the current owners of Donzi Marine are going to let the 50th pass by.........
Too bad.

Scott Pearson
01-30-2014, 05:19 PM
Love that boat! Man that is pretty.

Greg Guimond
01-30-2014, 05:37 PM
That color rocks!!

RockyS18
01-30-2014, 05:38 PM
I love the color! It looks great. Congrats and good luck with it.

duckhunter
01-30-2014, 05:55 PM
That's a great looking boat! The matching upholstery takes it over-the-top - exceptionally classy. Gonna be a long rest of the winter for you!

mattyboy
01-30-2014, 06:41 PM
now you have to learn to drive from the wrong side and you have to trim ;)

jl1962
01-30-2014, 07:01 PM
The right side helm will be OK - at least I don't have to drive on the left side of the road!

And no more center fill........

Trim seams fairly intuitive, but I'm looking forward to some seat time - Mike O has let me drive his boat several times - whatta guy!
Although I can't complain anymore if I get shoe-horned into the tightest, shallowest slips at the Algonquin after our runs ;)

Fishermanjm
01-30-2014, 07:19 PM
Beautiful boat The railing on them is the coolest

penbroke
01-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Awesome boat Jay!! Congrats!

Frank

Carl C
01-30-2014, 08:17 PM
"And no more center fill........"

Some people say that's a bad thing but I like my side fill too. I really like that color scheme and it should stay as cool as it looks!
​Yupper.

yeller
01-30-2014, 10:31 PM
Beautiful boat!
Awesome hull number too.
I think you'll be very happy with an 18. I loved my 16 for the fun factor and enjoy the 22 for the improved ride. The 18 is probably a great combination of the 2.

woobs
01-30-2014, 10:58 PM
That is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL craft!

Ed Donnelly
01-30-2014, 11:49 PM
Really beautiful. Enjoy it soon...Ed

DON N.
01-31-2014, 03:53 AM
Very nice jay , you will enjoy it !

CHACHI
01-31-2014, 05:56 AM
Jay, you finally came clean.

Congrats.

Ken

mattyboy
01-31-2014, 06:48 AM
just like everyone has caught themselves driving to their old house after moving to a new house a cross town. I bet you jump in the left seat and go wtf is the wheel at least once

:)

jl1962
01-31-2014, 06:54 AM
just like everyone has caught themselves driving to their old house after moving to a new house a cross town. I bet you jump in the left seat and go wtf is the wheel at least once

:)

:rlol:I used to work with a guy who used to do that. Even jiggling the key in the front door!

Ken- Yep, just waiting for the ink to dry and the check to be cashed ;)

Yeller - What hull # is your 22? What kind of documentation did it come with? The 18 has line drawings, sketches and correspondences between the dealer and the factory as part of the owner's manual. All contained in a nice briefcase. I haven't seen it yet, but if any of it is interesting, I'll scan and post.

Scott Pearson
01-31-2014, 11:10 AM
You gotta give it a new name! Something cool!

jl1962
01-31-2014, 11:47 AM
You gotta give it a new name! Something cool!

Agreed.

How about......... Surfin' Bird!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVQfVtzFd4U

The Bird is the word!

yeller
02-01-2014, 12:54 AM
Mine is hull. #22. I'm the 2nd owner but didn't buy it from the original owner so I have very little documentation. The original owner traded it in and I bought it off the dealership.
I agree with you........and obviously I'm biased.........the 40th anniversary boats are the nicest Classics made.

I know it's all personable preference though. All Classics are beautiful boats.

Carl C
02-01-2014, 10:04 AM
My '05 regular edition came with the nice briefcase but no special drawings.

mattyboy
02-01-2014, 10:10 AM
how about "blue Jay"

Jay when you get a chance send me the info on the new boat and I will open up another LGDCC registry page and of course let the new owner of the 16 know to contact me and i will update that entry in the registry as well

Carl C
02-01-2014, 12:01 PM
It doesn't need a name but I would remove the one on there. Those are registration # stickers :boggled:.

jl1962
02-01-2014, 12:19 PM
My boats all seem to end up with rock n roll titles for names: Honey Don't, Rave On, Deuce Coupe, Wooly Bully, My Generation (the Ski Sporter - didn't know that, did you? ;)). Need to think about it some more.... Whether I actually put anything on the side of the boat is another matter!

Matty- I'll have more documentation in a few months and will get it to you.

Carl - thanks for posting the drive trim info on the other thread. I know the 18 doesn't require quite as much driver input as the 22 but I'm sure there will be a learning curve!

Ghost
02-01-2014, 12:32 PM
My boats all seem to end up with rock n roll titles for names: Honey Don't, Rave On, Deuce Coupe, Wooly Bully, My Generation (the Ski Sporter - didn't know that, did you? ;)). Need to think about it some more.. Whether I actually put anything on the side of the boat is another matter!!

California Blue's a song but she's more Carolina. Blue Bayou's been done. Maybe this ends up a horse with no name. ;)

smokediver
02-01-2014, 12:46 PM
That is a beautiful boat !! I had wondered what had happened to it.

jl1962
02-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Maybe this ends up a horse with no name. ;)

Ha- Good one!
And maybe Wa-Lo could be called the Sounds of Silence. :rlol:
We should stop this now or this thread will be longer than the Song Thread thread!

Smokediver - the boat has been in hiding!
If they gave an award for most miles on a trailer/least hours on an engine - it would win hands down.

mattyboy
02-02-2014, 06:29 AM
Jay

i would be interested if you do track down any more 16 or 18 40ths what color they are Yours is the only blue one I have seen yellow was the most popular I have seen a red one too but as far as the 16 and 18 there was the orange 16 and your blue 18. I think there is a yellow 18 in north jersey

jl1962
02-02-2014, 06:44 AM
Absolutely. It would be nice to have it all in one place.

I know 350MPI/Alpha/Windshield/Yellow was the most common combination for the 18, but there were a few 305 boats and obviously a few w/ out windshields too. Mine is the only blue one and there was at least one beige 18 that was destroyed by Katrina.

I know of at least one red 22 also.

mattyboy
02-02-2014, 06:52 AM
I guess they let the dealers customize the boat and some went for economy the red 22 I know of was ordered with single ram trim tabs when most had double ram.
the tan one was a 40th? for some reason I thought it was just one of the Nelems boats. He ordered some nice color schemes and optioned boats

BUIZILLA
02-02-2014, 08:06 AM
there was a tan one down here that got crushed in a hurricane related marina collapse.. if I have my years right..

bobwpe
02-02-2014, 11:06 AM
there was a tan one down here that got crushed in a hurricane related marina collapse.. if I have my years right..
That would be correct sir, Hurricane Wilma in 2005. It came up on ebay when I was searching for a "parts boat" for my project and thanks to the good folks on this site I was made aware of it. I used the nearly new engine and not much else. Madpoodle ended up with the carcass. I still have the damaged engine hatch which is available at no cost to anyone willing to come to Hollywood, Fl. to pick it up. PM me if you are interested.

FWIW my boat sold to a fine gentleman in Toronto last Spring so I am Donzi-less for now.:eek:

jl1962
02-03-2014, 06:29 AM
Ouch - that second picture hurts!
I didn't realize that was your engine donor.....yours was a nice 18, someone got a great boat!

Another snowy day in CT - I'm going to wake up the good folks at Donzi and see if I can get some production info on the 40th Editions.

Will keep y'all posted.

mike o
02-03-2014, 12:19 PM
The right side helm will be OK - at least I don't have to drive on the left side of the road!

And no more center fill........

Trim seams fairly intuitive, but I'm looking forward to some seat time - Mike O has let me drive his boat several times - whatta guy!
Although I can't complain anymore if I get shoe-horned into the tightest, shallowest slips at the Algonquin after our runs ;) :wink: Congratulations :clap:

jl1962
02-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Mike -

I was wondering when you would come in off your sled long enough to check in!
Hope to see you in the spring.

-JL

:boat:

mike o
02-03-2014, 01:49 PM
You will my friend :biggrin: I see that brand new trailer under that thing :biggrin: NO excuses now :biggrin:
Winni
Weaver's
1000 islands
CT River in OCT
Just off the top of my head :kingme:

jl1962
02-03-2014, 02:01 PM
The boat is in Shapleigh now - you've come much closer to it than I have!

We'll see - plan is to go fetch it in late April/early May and take it from there.

cgentile
02-03-2014, 09:14 PM
I saw the orange 16 forsale here in Toronto a few months ago, was posted on Kijji but the guy never responded back.. beautiful looking 16 .

jl1962
02-13-2014, 12:19 PM
I traded a few emails w/ Donzi/Proja/Blah-line last week and unfortunately, they were less than helpful....

They told me that all the info on the 40th Anniversary boats was "archived" and "inaccessible".
I tried to counter that it would be great if someone at the company could be responsive to the Donzi enthusiast community, but I don't think they get it. PMs to Josh went unreturned.
There also wasn't much interest in commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the founding of Donzi Marine.
I think they almost needed a calculator to be convinced that 2014 was, in fact the 50th!

Oh well, this ties in w/ another thread, but we are pretty much on our own as far as carrying the banner.

On the lighter side, I think I may have settled on a name - "18th Nervous Breakdown"! :D

Carl C
02-13-2014, 01:41 PM
I traded a few emails w/ Donzi/Proja/Blah-line last week and unfortunately, they were less than helpful....

They told me that all the info on the 40th Anniversary boats was "archived" and "inaccessible".
I tried to counter that it would be great if someone at the company could be responsive to the Donzi enthusiast community, but I don't think they get it. PMs to Josh went unreturned.
There also wasn't much interest in commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the founding of Donzi Marine.
I think they almost needed a calculator to be convinced that 2014 was, in fact the 50th!

Oh well, this ties in w/ another thread, but we are pretty much on our own as far as carrying the banner.

On the lighter side, I think I may have settled on a name - "18th Nervous Breakdown"! :D

At least Donzi is not officially done. Maybe someone will buy it. There had been some interest from some former employees but time ran out and they moved on. :(

jl1962
02-13-2014, 02:11 PM
I respect that the boat business is tough, but it wouldn't hurt if the manufacturer had a little more enthusiasm and visibility.

And parts of the recreational boating market are red hot - OK, I'm talking sailing, but J/Boats has built over 500 J/70s in the first 18 months and can't build them fast enough.

Donzi should build one or two of each Classic ON SPEC :eek: for the 50th!!!!!
They needn't be much different from the 40th boats, maybe different colors - Grumble Green, Lucan Red, Christina Blue, solid hull/deck/white stripe. How cool would that be?

I bet they would sell and it would at least demonstrate that the company has a pulse.

It wouldn't hurt either if they interacted more w/ our little community. They should have a presence on these Boards and they should show up at an event or two each year - especially this year!

Just sayin'

:checkered:

mike o
04-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Warming up Jay :cool!:

Time to go shopping for a new baby blue :lifeprese: vest :kingme:

The old red extrasport ain't going to cut it ;) in "blue" :shades:

#11 of 11 :) http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2004-Donzi-18-Classic-Special-40th-Anniversary-Edition-605937

Wont be long now :yes: They did make that extrasport in Lt Blue :yes:

jl1962
04-18-2014, 01:45 PM
Ha ha!
Just saw this - been laying low in Maui!

A lot of happy miles on that old red life jacket, but will be wearing The Blue by the Dust-Off.

Up to Maine next weekend (finally) to get the 18. Will take inventory and then upgrade to matching fenders, dock lines, coozies, coffee cups, mouse pads, IPhone covers as needed!

;)

jl1962
04-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Jay's Excellent Adventure:

720 miles, 6 states, 32 hours.

Left early yesterday and drove to Maine, in the rain. Met Len at his camp and picked up the 18. The boat is even nicer than I had hoped. Like finding a "new" boat that just happens to be 10 years old. The briefcase has all the manuals, sketches, color samples, correspondences from Donzi and Nelem's etc...very cool! The trailer has a fair amount of surface rust, but it is a great 2005 Performance Custom Trailer and it towed great; quiet and straight. I'll get a quote from them to sandblast and re-spray - hopefully not too big a number.

Left Maine, drove to Bolton, in the rain. Got in late afternoon, a few (too many) beers, a great dinner and a good night's sleep. Up early, washed off all the road grime and took the boat to Performance. The cheapo eBay deck cover is unsuitable for trailering, but will be fine for keeping UV, dust, pollen, tree sap, bird crap etc....off the boat. Hope to go back late May and actually RUN the boat!

Drove home - only a little rain :)

jl1962
04-27-2014, 03:22 PM
Documents.

Interesting that there is also a sketch for a blue Anniversary 22. Wonder if they ever made one?

BUIZILLA
04-27-2014, 05:28 PM
verry nice..

wonder why it didn't qualify for Z Care?

jl1962
04-28-2014, 06:30 AM
What's Z Care?

BUIZILLA
04-28-2014, 06:37 AM
the Donzi Warranty

jl1962
04-28-2014, 06:53 AM
Ahhh....

I just have the original 5 year warranty card (now lapsed).

Looks like they passed on the 5-Year Extended Warranty (Z-Care) which would've cost another $125!
But that would've lapsed now too.

The boat is now under Jason Care!

undertaker
04-28-2014, 09:23 AM
The 22 sketch is cool :yes:

jl1962
04-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Agreed.
It's nice to see familiar boats in different colors.
Maybe I'll contact Nelem's to ask if the blue 22 was ever ordered.

In the meantime, Donzi is literally missing a GOLDEN opportunity to offer a 50th Edition.........
Too bad.

Just Say N20
04-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Looks like a wonderful, complete package. Very cool to have all the documentation.

I really like that color combination.

mattyboy
04-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Good Luck with her Jay !

Nelems ordered some uncommon and nice color schemes on their classics

Carl C
04-28-2014, 02:06 PM
I use my Donzi briefcase as a carry-on when I fly. It looks classy slung over my shoulder. :)

jl1962
04-28-2014, 03:45 PM
I use my Donzi briefcase as a carry-on when I fly. It looks classy slung over my shoulder. :)

Absolutely!

I spoke to Bob Nelems himself today. He couldn't have been nicer and was happy to talk Donzis.
That blue 22 was never made (to his knowledge).
I sent him some of the recent pictures of the blue 18 and of my 16 and told him it would be great if he stuck his head in here every now and then.

RNELEMS
04-28-2014, 04:21 PM
This is a trip down memory lane! The old Donzi years were good years for Nelems Marine. We never made any money on Donzis but they sure were fun years ,a company ownership roller coaster ,but we had fun from the first time Mike Collins called me in 1985 to tell me Dick Genth had just bought Donzi, up thru the 2004 model year 40th Anniversary boats, with a lot of stories along the way.I think on the 40th boats we did 2 orange 16's,a powder blue 18(Jay's) a blue/Honey( the old honey,not beige)18 a Black/Honey 22 and a solid yellow 22. But my memory is not always perfect,may have missed a few.The Donzi years remind me that it is not always about the money,it is about the passion of boats that I like!If Mike Collins called me today and told me he was with Donzi again I would order a few,for sure a red/white 18,no windshield,solid red interior,the boat that my wife and i enjoyed more than any one boat I've ever owned.Robert Nelems,Nelems Marine

ITTLFLI
04-30-2014, 07:18 PM
This is a trip down memory lane! The old Donzi years were good years for Nelems Marine. We never made any money on Donzis but they sure were fun years ,a company ownership roller coaster ,but we had fun from the first time Mike Collins called me in 1985 to tell me Dick Genth had just bought Donzi, up thru the 2004 model year 40th Anniversary boats, with a lot of stories along the way.I think on the 40th boats we did 2 orange 16's,a powder blue 18(Jay's) a blue/Honey( the old honey,not beige)18 a Black/Honey 22 and a solid yellow 22. But my memory is not always perfect,may have missed a few.The Donzi years remind me that it is not always about the money,it is about the passion of boats that I like!If Mike Collins called me today and told me he was with Donzi again I would order a few,for sure a red/white 18,no windshield,solid red interior,the boat that my wife and i enjoyed more than any one boat I've ever owned.Robert Nelems,Nelems Marine

Robert,

I hope you are doing well? Yes I definitely remember the 40th anniversary editions you had! In fact I have pictures of the yellow 22 you had the year we had a family trip to Smith Lake! We talk about it frequently!

Thanks again!

Byron

jl1962
07-10-2014, 07:19 AM
Before

After

I though the boat needed a little more Pzazz.......
;)

mike o
07-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Before

After

I though the boat needed a little more Pzazz.......
;) Thats a Jethro Tull " Living in the Past " thing right there :) Just bring that thing to Maine and drag Kirby with you, already :kingme: And that Kid from BL with the 009 :party:

jl1962
07-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Hah!
"Living in the Past"?
More like the Beatles "Revolution #9"! :bonk:

Actually we will be RIGHT THERE - but two weeks too soon. Gotta pick up my daughter at camp on 7/19-20. Truly one of our favorite weekends.

Will try to give Richard a call. And will try not to eat all the lobster rolls at the Galley in Naples!
http://www.thegalleyseafoodpub.com/Home.aspx

jl1962
07-02-2016, 11:11 AM
Here's hull #3 (of 11) 40th Anniversary 18s.

5.0 Merc/windshield

http://www.antiqueboatsales.com/UsedBoats.html

This is the second 5.0 yellow Anniversary 18 Katz has had. The one from last year didn't have a windshield.