PDA

View Full Version : Care and Cleaning of Your Boat's Vinyl

Tidbart
01-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Due to Carl C's issue with his vinyl seating, I put together an informal reference list of products to use and not to use on your vinyl seats and upholstery.

This list is not complete and I can add or change it at any time. If you disagree, let me know.

The data has mainly come from marine upholstery shop websites, some manufacturers sites, and some personal experiences. Keep in mind, this is just for future reference and just because someone has used a product with some success doesn't mean it is necessarily a good idea moving forward. :biggrin.:

Also, I am no expert in this field, so don't shoot the messenger.

Bob

USE
303 Fabric and Vinyl Cleaner
303® Aerospace Protectant
Mild dish soaps…Ivory, Dawn
Fantastic
Amazing Bio-Kleen
Starbrite Marine Vinyl Treatment
1T. ammonia, ¼ C. hydrogen peroxide, ¾ C. of water for mildew or stains from leaves
3M Marine Vinyl Cleaner & Restorer
3M Marine Outdoor Vinyl Cleaner, Protector, and Conditioner
Attwood 16oz Vinyl Cleaner and Polish
Mothers® Marine Vinyl & Rubber Care
Marine 31 Products…All Purpose Cleaner, Vinyl Cleaner, Conditioner, or Protectant
Starbrite Vinyl Products.... Shampoo, Protectant, Polish & Restorer
Tuff Stuff Foam Cleaner
Sprayway 990 Vinyl and Leather Cleaner

Don’t Use
Goo Gone
Formula 409
Murphy’s Oil Soap
Simple Green
Magic Eraser
ArmorAll
Top Kote Sealant
Son of a Gun
Orange 88 Degreaser
Amazing Roll-off
Bleach or Bleach/baking soda
Turtle Wax/Tar Remover
APCO
Harbor Mate
Kerosene
Gasoline
Acetone
Silicone or Petroleum based chemicals or wipes
Automotive vinyl treatments with silicone
DC Plus

Conquistador_del_mar
01-23-2014, 12:22 PM
For what it is worth, I have used Simple Green for years with nothing but positive results. Why was it included in the don't use list? Bill

Tidbart
01-23-2014, 01:50 PM
For what it is worth, I have used Simple Green for years with nothing but positive results. Why was it included in the don't use list? Bill

Found that on a list from Veada.com. They manufacture custom boat seats, etc. My guess it may be too harsh or strong, if not diluted enough. Or, they believe it would harm, chemically, the coatings on the vinyl??? PH and Alkalinity levels?
I don't have any in front of me right now, but I would believe that if it doesn't specifically say that it is safe for vinyl, don't use it. Why take the chance when there are plenty of other products that will work without doing damage. Just my thoughts.

B

BlakeSullivan
01-23-2014, 02:09 PM
I have used magic eraser for years and have alway condition afterwards, great results. My 97 22 has the original interior and still looks great, but thats just my experience :smile:.

Carl C
01-23-2014, 02:50 PM
I appreciate every response that I got on my thread about my seats cracking but three people whom I trust and who know posted replies. Bob from builtrite used to make these seats. Mr X used to work for Donzi and I always trust Jim not to steer me wrong. DO NOT fall for the magic eraser craze. DO NOT use ArmorAll or any other copycat "vinyl conditioner". Never use bleach in any form.

My seats will only be cleaned with a weak solution of dish soap and the only product I will use to help protect them is "303", and the 303 is only in hopes of reversing the damage that I have done by using harmful products. My previous boats got washed with dish soap and saw nothing else except the sunscreen and tanning oil on our skin. So I will simplify my recommendation of products to use:

Weak solution of dish soap and water.

BUIZILLA
01-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Dawn dish soap WILL remove the wax from your gel or vehicles paint finish, maybe not the first wash, but most certainly by the 2nd or 3rd it's toast

Carl C
01-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Yes, dish soap will remove wax if over used. I wash my boat and cars with it though but not very strong mixture.

joseph m. hahnl
01-23-2014, 07:34 PM
I see Attwood makes a cleaner sealer:propeller: Their hull cleaner and gel restorer work excellent, great products :D. I now what I'm switching too:idea:

Morgan's Cloud
01-24-2014, 06:59 AM
Many years ago I heard that the worst thing to get on boat upholstery and then not clean it off properly was sun tan lotion .

Kind of ironic if true .

Carl C
01-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Many years ago I heard that the worst thing to get on boat upholstery and then not clean it off properly was sun tan lotion .
Kind of ironic if true .

Sun tan oil is mainly mineral oil and peanut, cocoa or coconut oil. None of those are petroleum based and should not harm vinyl. I also keep lots of "no-ad" #30 sunscreen lotion on board and that has a lot of chemicals I've never heard of in it.

Morgan's Cloud
01-24-2014, 10:20 AM
I believe that two of the places I heard it were a guy who did boat canvas and upholstery as a living and a certain high end boat manufacturer who liked to give their new clients a heads up on various maintenance aspects .

Otherwise I agree, you wouldn't think that there was anything harmful in it .

Tidbart
01-29-2014, 01:33 PM
I added Sprayway 990 Vinyl and Leather Cleaner to the list of Use cleaners.

Trueser
01-29-2014, 10:08 PM
http://www.biokleen.com/boat-vinyl-cleaner

I still say this works great...

Tidbart
01-30-2014, 07:08 AM
http://www.biokleen.com/boat-vinyl-cleaner

I still say this works great...

That is why it under the Use column. :D