PDA

View Full Version : Advice finding Ford 351 Windsor 350 Short Block

donzidon
01-17-2014, 12:17 AM
I have a 1972 X-18 with a Holman Moody Ford 351 Windsor engine and GT-40 heads. Engine model is CPM235B4V.
Sad to say, the yard found water in the oil when winterizing the boat at the end of last summer, and the local engine shop tells me that the block is rusted out. The boat is up near Bar Harbor, Maine. Not exactly a hotbed of high performance motor boating.

If possible, I would like to salvage as much of the old engine as possible because it has some very nice accessories, and the installation was carefully engineered by the former owner. Any advice regarding where to get a short block would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Don

Ghost
01-17-2014, 12:48 AM
I googled "351 Windsor short block for sale" and found a variety, at Summit Racing for one.

mattyboy
01-17-2014, 05:01 AM
CPM235B4V is a Holman Moody serial number there should also be another longer number on the bell housing tag. should start with D2HM then a 4 digit number then 1-RW-I/O. if the block has never been touched the 4 digit number will tell you what block it is.

That is the number for a 235hp /4 bbl Holman moody engine which was a 302 motor the 351 HM motor was a 255 hp motor.

is the motor original? the 302/351 w parts are pretty interchangable was the motor replaced or overhauled at anytime during it's life? very common to see a 302 with 351 heads the difference in the two motors was stroke not bore.

long and short blocks are readily available and if your HM risers are in good shape all you really need is to make sure the block is of the same vintage so you can hang all your HM stuff on it. It is probably a good time to go thru everything like the water pump and crossover cooling and all the stuff that is a bitch to get at when the motor is in.

search ebay doug russell marine usually has rebuilt 351s and there are always long and short blocks for $1200-1800 with decent shipping costs the big thing will be the rebuilding process if you plan on re using the heads and intake making sure the meeting surfaces are true.

the early 69-70 HM 351s were rated at 290 hp then they fell to 255 -260 hp so without going to expensive hi-po exhaust risers you can get upto 320 hp in a 351w . If you want more than that it will get expensive and may be time to go chevy. If you like the way the boat performs than rebuild it and get another 40 yrs out of it.

have any pics or a hull number? if the HM stuff has been replaced with moderm ford marine stuff you'll have some more options

good luck with the project I just did the same to mine about a yr or so ago so if you have any questions i'll help if i can.

you and your wallet will need to get use to the term "well while I have the motor out"

Ford 302 Project (http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pdfs/302refurb.pdf)

donzidon
01-20-2014, 11:45 PM
Matty -
I spoke to the former owner and found out that the boat is on at least its third engine, so it is not stock. The motor does have quite a few Holman Moody components that he bought directly in a 1976 restoration, and there was a second overhaul in 1986. Here is what the current installation looks like (or did before I messed up).
Thanks for your help. I will suggest ProMar to the mechanic I have up in Maine.
I have not been able to find a hull number so far. Nothing on the back of the dash. The bow eye may have had some writing, but it is now covered up by a repair on the inside. The delivery service almost pulled the damn thing out through the hull when they brought the boat up from Florida.
thanks again,
Don

mattyboy
01-21-2014, 06:38 AM
doesn't look all that messed up . hard to tell from the pics but the front of the motor looks to be non holman moody which makes it a bit easier as far as finding a crate motor to fit

johnnywhale
01-21-2014, 04:49 PM
Only 95% sure, but I believe the 351 is a higher deck height than a 302, intake is different, and exhaust outlets would be higher and wider. Might want to check first.

joseph m. hahnl
01-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Decks are different heights :yes: A good read on the history and evolution of the Ford small blocks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_351_Windsor#351W

Perhaps an upgrade may be in order:smash: :worthy:A Dart block with a full roller setup:biggrin.: Oh yah! a 4.125 bore is nice too :p

http://www.dartheads.com/products/engine-blocks/ford-small-blocks/shp-ford-small-blocks.html

donzidon
01-22-2014, 11:31 PM
The engine was running fine, and everything looked good until the yard found water in the oil. They sent the engine over to the engine shop (DownEast Diesel & Marine) in Southwest Harbor, ME. They found a 351W block that has been in a truck last week and plan to use that for the rebuild. They have some pretty specific ideas about what should be done, though I did funnel all the ideas from here up to them.

A Dart block would be nice, but my wallet is already cringing. Don't want to trigger a full blown panic attack just yet.

Thanks again.

Don

PS - I did find a hull number on the bill of sale: CX1828. Boat was formerly owned by Bill Bay in Jacksonville, FL. A great guy.

mattyboy
01-23-2014, 08:12 AM
yes x18 hull 28 started as a 235 hp 302 motor the 351 is taller but fit in a 16 or 18

good luck with the rebuild keep us posted