PDA

View Full Version : feders

craigdskilling
01-14-2014, 05:42 PM
Going to the Toronto boat show on sunday and I am looking for boat fenders for my 18.I just have the side rail to tie up the fenders to and they never seem to hold in the right place.So what is everyone using I like picks if possible thanks craig.

Ghost
01-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Going to the Toronto boat show on sunday and I am looking for boat fenders for my 18.I just have the side rail to tie up the fenders to and they never seem to hold in the right place.So what is everyone using I like picks if possible thanks craig.

One thing to consider in crafting the recipe: shock cord. Fenders, fender mounts, and paint/gel all get a lot less stress when the fenders are hung with shock cord. Once brutal forces are reduced to a mere tug. FWIW.

RockyS18
01-14-2014, 07:45 PM
One thing to consider in crafting the recipe: shock cord. Fenders, fender mounts, and paint/gel all get a lot less stress when the fenders are hung with shock cord. Once brutal forces are reduced to a mere tug. FWIW.

+1, the shock absorber cord is a must.

Lenny
01-14-2014, 11:45 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-Made-Products-Fender-Low-Profile-5-31055-/400491847405?forcev4exp=true

a few colours too. No issues in 7 years, nor marks.

wwahl
01-14-2014, 11:49 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-Made-Products-Fender-Low-Profile-5-31055-/400491847405?forcev4exp=true

a few colours too. No issues in 7 years, nor marks.

No, those will rub the side. There is a reason fenders are round. They roll and do not scrape.

CHACHI
01-15-2014, 06:47 AM
I have been using a low freeboard fender and they work great.

I can't download a photo as my laptop is "acting up". Ken

f_inscreenname
01-15-2014, 09:53 AM
I use the "L" shape to on the 19 because the flat deck would always end up under something.

MOP
01-15-2014, 03:04 PM
My first post got screwed up I recommend the round balls, I had them and use to float them they never ride up.

craigdskilling
01-15-2014, 03:23 PM
My boat is always trailered and you never what kind of docks you come up to. How do tie the l shape fenders to the rail thanks.

pipnit
01-15-2014, 05:08 PM
No, those will rub the side. There is a reason fenders are round. They roll and do not scrape.

I've been using the exact same ones on Lake Michigan since 2002, never had an issue, no rolling no scraping but I tie my ride up properly and since we're on Lake Michigan, I don't have to deal with tides.

yeller
01-18-2014, 11:41 PM
Not sure what wwahl is talking about. I used the type Lenny posted for years without any problem. I highly recommend them. With the Classics, you have to have a fender that will protect the deck (as well as the hull). They make 2 sizes: 5 x 14 and 7 x 23. The 14" ones are fine for the back of the boat, but I found they were too short for the front when used on a lot of floating docks.

I was going to purchase the 7x23 for the front but went with the Kwik Tek flat fender instead:
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/kwik-tek-hull-hugrtm-contour-boat-fender.html

For the most part, I prefer these over the Taylor. They are less expensive, lighter, and easier to store. The only issue I have with them (and it's making me consider going back to the Taylors) is the cover is folded at the ends and not heat-sealed. So if the fender hangs into the water, it gets inside the fender. It drains out easy enough, but I find it bothersome to have to drain the fender every time I take them off.