PDA

View Full Version : Hey, I know it's late!! - NFL fun picks!

scippy
01-07-2014, 03:39 PM
For all of you that went 4-0 in the first week of the playoffs?....sorry for the late start again, but for all of you losers
(me).......here's another try at redemption starting this weekend!.......Same deal as last year, not too complicated I'll
post up the current line on Tues. using the nypost .....This is the cheapest pool to get into.......I dare you just for fun!

Does anybody have last years standing?.............for some reason I can't go back to post it!

Saturday
SEAHAWKS -8 ................................................Sa ints +8

PATRIOTS -71/2 ................................................Co lts +71/2

Sunday
49ers -2 .................................................. .........Panthers +2

BRONCO'S -10 .................................................C hargers +10

My Picks are: Seahawks, colts, 49ers, broncos

hardcrab
01-10-2014, 07:50 AM
Seahawks
New England
Carolina for the upset ......... :lightning
Broncos

Ghost
01-10-2014, 10:49 AM
These are hard, still thinking...

Marlin275
01-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Seahawks
Colts
49ers
Broncos

I agree Scippy!

Ghost
01-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Saints, Colts, Niners, Chargers

Ed Donnelly
01-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Only picked 1 team (Saints) and they ALMOST made a comeback...Ed

scippy
01-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Divisonal "fun picks" results are:
Ghost 2 - 1 - 1
Crab 1 - 2 - 1
Marlin 1 - 2 - 1
Scippy 1 - 2 -1

Ed you almost had a chance there bro!......what happened?
By the way, last years finals were .........all hail Crab-b-us!!.........9 - 1 - 1
Ghost.................5 - 1 - 1
Marlin.................5 - 1 - 1
Scippy................5 - 1 - 1

scippy
01-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Sunday
(Conference championship)

Broncos -4 1/2...............................Patriots + 4 1/2

Seahawks -3 1/2............................49 ers + 3 1/2

My picks Pats & niners!

hardcrab
01-14-2014, 02:59 PM
Seattle and Pats with the points (my guess is Denver wins in a squeeker)

RockyS18
01-15-2014, 07:24 PM
I missed this thread, but I can honestly say that my first round picks were Saints, Colts, 49ers, and Broncos, so I only got the last couple right anyway.

Hmm.... I'm thinking 49ers and Broncos for the next round.

Ghost
01-15-2014, 07:50 PM
Pats, Niners

Tidbart
01-15-2014, 08:55 PM
Pats, Niners

Ditto

Marlin275
01-15-2014, 09:07 PM
Broncos
49ers

Ghost
01-15-2014, 11:46 PM
I missed this thread, but I can honestly say that my first round picks were Saints, Colts, 49ers, and Broncos, so I only got the last couple right anyway.

And by "the last couple" he means "the niners." ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist.) -Mike

BUIZILLA
01-16-2014, 07:20 AM
bronco's and 'niner's

niner's in the end, unless it's COLD, then Bronco's easily.....

but, I could be wrong, usually am :pimp:

scippy
01-20-2014, 01:56 AM
Any thoughts on the games?........ R. Sherman good player but what an ass!!.....Kaepernick gave it away with turnovers.

Ghost
01-20-2014, 02:01 AM
Any thoughts on the games?........ R. Sherman good player but what an ass!!.....Kaepernick gave it away with turnovers.

Refs didn't help the Niners any. Manning was stone cold awesome today.

wwahl
01-20-2014, 07:20 PM
I thought the Seattle game was an outright thriller. The poll I read on the outcome of the Super Bowl has it 2/3 for Denver and 1/3 for Seattle. I think it will be interesting.

Ghost
01-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Saw something last night that said the early point spreads were all over the map. Like, you could've bet both sides with 2 or even 3 points each way. THAT would be fun to throw money at. And then hope for a close one.

Carl C
01-20-2014, 08:00 PM
My $ is on Denver....

scippy
01-22-2014, 08:09 PM
Since the best overall we have right now is sub par & anemic (Crab, Marlin & Ghost all @ 2-3-1) followed by the worst me (Scippy @ 1-4-1)
Buiz's picks could be considered best @ (1-1) and Tibart worst @ (0-2) because of jumping in late to the show.........Asterik needed here?? :bonk:
Anyway, lets get Exotic for final picks!!!
SUPERBOWL 48
BRONCOS -2-1/2............SEAHAWKS + 2-1/2
OVER/UNDER (48)
COIN TOSS?
FIRST TO SCORE?
QUARTER SCORE?
LAST TO SCORE?
OVERALL SCORE?

Kick it around......let me know..............and maybe by next Wed. we can enter some of these (or more) for a final plaY.

BUIZILLA
01-22-2014, 08:22 PM
will it be won on shear unbridled enthusiasm?, or shear shrewd calculations?

my head says one team, my heart says the other team...

scippy
01-22-2014, 09:37 PM
It might be SuperBowl Satuday or Friday if it snows!!!

hardcrab
01-23-2014, 11:39 AM
my head says one team, my heart says the other team...

I feel exactly the opposite.

My heart says one team, my head says the other team

hardcrab
01-23-2014, 01:09 PM
It might be SuperBowl Satuday or Friday if it snows!!!

Until Superbowl Monday is a federal holiday, it should be on Saturday

scippy
01-29-2014, 11:31 PM
My 10 category picks are:

SEATTLE + 2 1/2
UNDER 48
CoiN Toss - Denver
First to score - Denver
First to fumble - Denver
Halftime score - 14 - 10 Denver
Most passing yards - Denver
Most rushing yards - Seattle
Final score 24 - 21 Seattle
SB MVP - "Marshawn Lynch"

Make any exotic or straight up picks you like..."First to be penalized" that would be a good one!
keep your own tabs on the results of your picks .........post them up next week with thoughts on
the game. Bash me on Monday, but I think SEATTLE ROLLS OVER DENVER!!

hardcrab
01-30-2014, 08:14 PM
Seattle 31

Omaha (aka Denver) 17

BUIZILLA
01-31-2014, 07:00 AM
Bronco's 27-24

scippy
01-31-2014, 01:47 PM
Over/under omaha 29-1/2

Marlin275
02-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Denver
Over 48
CoiN Toss - Seattle
First to score - Seattle
First to fumble - Denver
Halftime score - 14 - 14
Most passing yards - Denver
Most rushing yards - Seattle
Final score 28 - 21 Denver
SB MVP - Manning

Ghost
02-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Seahawks and the points

osur866
02-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Denver by 3, hard to bet against Manning

Ghost
02-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Denver by 3, hard to bet against Manning

Wanna go double or nothing? :)

Carl C
02-02-2014, 08:14 PM
My money is on Seattle. . . . . . . .

BUIZILLA
02-02-2014, 08:43 PM
so far, my 27-24 points total is dead on... 51

but, that could change LOL

osur866
02-03-2014, 06:34 AM
Yep, Denver got taken out back of the wood shed for sure

BUIZILLA
02-03-2014, 06:51 AM
will it be won on shear unbridled enthusiasm? looks like that happened fer sure, right to the last play..

Bronco's 27-24 welp, at least I got my total right, 51 LOL

Over 48
Coin Toss - Seattle
First to score - Seattle
First to fumble - Denver
got to give Marlin serious cred here :checkered:

Ghost
02-03-2014, 07:36 AM
Hail Crabious against, right?

hardcrab
02-03-2014, 01:27 PM
got to give Marlin serious cred here :checkered:

Nice call on the coin toss!

woobs
02-03-2014, 02:37 PM
I loved Broadway Joe's coat!!!

Marlin275
02-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Nice call on the coin toss!

the real MANning didn't show up . . .

or

Seattle’s defensive performance the best in NFL history?
No defense in the history of the NFL had a better single game performance than the Seahawks did on Sunday night.

Who's better? Maybe the 2007 Giants knocking off the 18-0 Patriots in Super Bowl XLII.
The other Manning . . .

hardcrab
02-03-2014, 05:59 PM
Who's better?

Russell Wilson

scippy
02-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Even Johnny Manziel could have beaten Manning on Sunday..........give credit where credits due.......the Seattle Defense L O B !!!!

scippy
02-03-2014, 07:06 PM
CRAB & GHOST both (4-3-1) atop w/straight up "fun" picks
MARLIN (7-8-1) played all teasers & buried SCIPPY (3-11-1)
BUIZ 2-2...........TIDBART 1-1........Carl 0-1....Osur866...0-1

Ghost
02-03-2014, 07:18 PM
the real MANning didn't show up . . .

or

Seattle’s defensive performance the best in NFL history?
No defense in the history of the NFL had a better single game performance than the Seahawks did on Sunday .

LOL, yeah right. Gotta love absurd over-statements like that. I can name a better performance without even leaving the incredibly small pool of Super Bowls, much less looking at the tens of thousands of regular season games. 2001 Ravens over the Giants. Baltimore allowed fewer points than Seattle. Seattle had 4 takeaways, Baltimore had 5. Seattle's offense moved the ball all night and kept the Broncos off the field. The 2001 Ravens had FAR less offense and the D had to carry the load: Seattle got 17 first downs and punted ONCE, and still gave up 18 first downs on 306 yards. Baltimore got 13 first downs and punted 10 times, and still gave up only 11 first downs on 152 yards. And so on.

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, best single game performance ever. :) Except for all the others. And I didn't even try hard to find an example...

scippy
02-03-2014, 08:04 PM
F (loyd) "money" Mayweather now retracts on tweeter that he "never" bet $10.5 mil on Denver!
He talked it up aLL week, but went silent by halftime....undefeated in the ring dumb ass outside.

Marlin275
02-04-2014, 08:17 AM
LOL, yeah right. Gotta love absurd over-statements like that. I can name a better performance without even leaving the incredibly small pool of Super Bowls, much less looking at the tens of thousands of regular season games. 2001 Ravens over the Giants. Baltimore allowed fewer points than Seattle. Seattle had 4 takeaways, Baltimore had 5. Seattle's offense moved the ball all night and kept the Broncos off the field. The 2001 Ravens had FAR less offense and the D had to carry the load: Seattle got 17 first downs and punted ONCE, and still gave up 18 first downs on 306 yards. Baltimore got 13 first downs and punted 10 times, and still gave up only 11 first downs on 152 yards. And so on.

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, best single game performance ever. :) Except for all the others. And I didn't even try hard to find an example...

The 2013 Seattle Seahawks turned in the best defensive performance in the now 48-year history of the big game. Their 43-8 victory over the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII was even more impressive than what the Bears (46-10), Ravens (34-7) and Buccaneers (48-21) did to their opponents. Peyton Manning, one of the best quarterbacks ever, coming off his best season, leading a record-setting offense. Seahawks, were No. 1 in scoring defense, No. 1 in total defense and No. 1 in passing defense, and played every bit like it. They made it 5-1 for top defenses that faced top offenses in the Super Bowl, the first team to do so in 23 years.

Ghost
02-04-2014, 09:56 AM
The 2013 Seattle Seahawks turned in the best defensive performance in the now 48-year history of the big game. Their 43-8 victory over the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII was even more impressive than what the Bears (46-10), Ravens (34-7) and Buccaneers (48-21) did to their opponents. Peyton Manning, one of the best quarterbacks ever, coming off his best season, leading a record-setting offense. Seahawks, were No. 1 in scoring defense, No. 1 in total defense and No. 1 in passing defense, and played every bit like it. They made it 5-1 for top defenses that faced top offenses in the Super Bowl, the first team to do so in 23 years.

Lol, all you have done is restate your conclusion with its single piece of rationale (that the Broncos were a record setting offense). The claim is about the greatest single game performance by a defense. The rating of Seattle's defense during the regular season is TOTALLY irrelevant, by definition, when ranking a "single game performance." Listing other performances you consider lesser (Bears, Ravens, Bucs) without saying WHY they fall short, is just silly. Duh. We know you consider them lesser performances--you consider EVERY game in the history of the NFL to be a lesser performance. It's not evidence, it's just restating (part of) your conclusion, in a very silly way no less.

Yes, the Broncos were a record setting offense and the the Seahawks D stomped them. But read it again--that's 100% of your case. You offer zero other argument. The actual numbers for this single game performance fall WAY short of the Ravens' single game performance in 2001. Not short, WAAAY short. So, how does one weigh the value of doing this to the Broncos versus what the Ravens did to the Giants? As much as the Broncos were a record setting offense, the Ravens may have been one of the weakest offenses in the history of Superbowl teams, putting all the load on the D. Seattle punted the ball away only once or twice (saw two conflicting stats), Baltimore punted 10 times.

One has to ask, given your only argument is that Seattle pounded the record-setting Broncos and that is therefore the "greatest single game performance in the history of the NFL," what, statistically, would outdo it? Allowing one third of the Broncos' yardage instead of half (as the Ravens did)? 7 takeaways instead of the 5 that the Ravens got? (And btw, take a look at how the Ravens took the ball away versus some of the dropsies committed by the Broncos.). Suppose Denver had scored 17 points, would that be enough to tip the scales? Simply claiming it is the greatest ever only because the Broncos had a record season is absurd. One has to assess the scope of the domination, which means stats and details, which can be compared to the stats and details of other contests, in context.

It would be one thing to make a case as to what stats would be needed to outdo the Seahawks' performance, and say why. But just declaring it the best (ever, of all time) due only to the Broncos' record season is just silly. A classic case of "how soon they forget" that is seen all the time. See something great and myopically label it the best ever.

Marlin275
02-04-2014, 11:22 AM
You are looking at the world through Ravens booster glasses.
I don't even care about Seattle and yet I respect their ultimate performance.

The Ravens had a dominating performance in their Super Bowl win, but they didn't exactly play a juggernaut offense.

The Seahawks took on an offense that scored an NFL-record 606 points and held them without a first down in the first quarter.
Denver didn't score until the final play of the third quarter.
At one point the Broncos had 11 yards and the Seahawks had 15 points.
Denver had 306 yards (just a measly 4.8 per play), and a lot of that came after the game was well out of reach.
Given the magnitude of the game and the quality of the opponent, it would be tough to find another defense that clearly had a better night than these Seahawks.
Seahawks coach Pete Carroll didn’t want to talk about his team being that dominant, and still went with the 1985 Bears as his Super Bowl defense of choice.

There were only three shutouts in the offensive-minded NFL all season. And Seattle came fairly close to shutting out an offense that has a legitimate claim to be the best ever.

Ghost
02-04-2014, 11:29 AM
You are looking at the world through Ravens booster glasses.
Attack the opponent rather than challenge the substance of his argument.

The Ravens had a dominating performance in their Super Bowl win, but they didn't exactly play a juggernaut offense.Good, this is the first thing that makes sense as it starts the notion of comparison. Now, QUANTIFY it rather than leave it so vague. And don't leave out that their OWN offense was REALLY anemic. Denver couldn't get Seattle's offense off the field. They punted either once or twice all game. Baltimore punted 10 times, in addition to all the kickoffs. All the load was on the Baltimore D.

The Seahawks took on an offense that scored an NFL-record 606 points and held them without a first down in the first quarter.
Denver had 306 yards (just a measly 4.8 per play), and a lot of that came after the game was well out of reach.
Given the magnitude of the game and the quality of the opponent, it would be tough to find another defense that clearly had a better night than these Seahawks.
Seahawks coach Pete Carroll didn’t want to talk about his team being that dominant, and still went with the 1985 Bears as his Super Bowl defense of choice.
There were only three shutouts in the offensive-minded NFL all season. And Seattle came fairly close to shutting out an offense that has a legitimate claim to be the best ever.
Back to the fallacious approach. "Let's compare A and B to see which is better. A did this, A did that. A did the third thing. A did this other thing. A wins."

Marlin275
02-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Back to the fallacious approach. "Let's compare A and B to see which is better. A did this, A did that. A did the third thing. A did this other thing. A wins."

I have put you on ignore again. You are, quite simply, an idiot.

hardcrab
02-04-2014, 02:22 PM
I have put you on ignore again.

very smart of you! ............... :toiletpap

Carl C
02-04-2014, 03:59 PM

lol!

Ghost
02-04-2014, 04:20 PM
The point of the fallacious approach example is simple: you have made the case for why the Seattle D's performance was great, which it was. You have not made the case that it is the best, single game performance by a defense in the history of the NFL. I have furnished ONE game for comparison. You have offered ZERO comparisons, save for the generalization that Baltimore's defense was not facing as strong an offense in the Giants as Seattle faced with Denver. Which I agree with, who would not? But when one goes through the details, the performance by the Ravens' defense is more impressive. If you wanted to argue against that, fine, do so. But simply rattling off more statements about what Seattle did is a failure to make any comparison at all. "Who's better, Jordan or LeBron? LeBron did this, LeBron did that, LeBron did a third thing, therefore, LeBron is better." It's nonsense. It doesn't COMPARE anything to anything else.

I'll go through your list of non-comparisons one by one, and see how my chosen game stacks up. Should be interesting...

The Ravens had a dominating performance in their Super Bowl win, but they didn't exactly play a juggernaut offense.

The Seahawks took on an offense that scored an NFL-record 606 points
Agreed, the Ravens didn't play a juggernaut offense and Seattle did. Seattle's D also got a lot of rest and only had to face Manning's powerful offense so many times, because the Seattle O was unstoppable for much of the game, until it was a laugher. Seattle converted about 6 of its first 7 3rd downs, right? And Denver HANDED OVER the ball several times. Seattle punted either once or twice all game. Baltimore punted 10 times. The Baltimore D had to stop the Giants SO MANY MORE TIMES, and had to spend a lot more time on the field. Baltimore's offense didn't take the heat off of the D in nearly the same way.

[The Seahawks] held them without a first down in the first quarter.
Yes. On 3 possessions. And really only 2, effectively, as one of the three was the opener, where the center snapped it over Manning's head for a safety on the first play. So, effectively, Seattle's D held them without a first down in 2 possessions. Baltimore held the Giants to 1 first down in the 1st quarter. On 6 possessions.

Yes, but that's misleading. The Broncos had a chip-shot field goal late in the second quarter, and they went for it on 4th down because the Seattle OFFENSE had put so many points on the board already. In Superbowl 35, the Giants didn't score until the middle of the 3rd quarter. And that was on a kick return. They NEVER scored on the Baltimore defense. Baltimore's defense outscored the Giants offense 7-0.

Seattle's points don't matter (unless the Defense scored them) when one is assessing the game that the DEFENSE had. As noted above, Baltimore's defense scored a TD, Seattle's did not. Further, the 15 Seahawk points you cite (13 by the offense, 2 gifted by Denver) are actually an indicator of my point: Seattle had the ball all the time. They put long drives together on their first three possessions. At the end of the 1st quarter, Denver had only spent 3 minutes and 19 seconds with the ball on offense. That is in part due to great play by Seattle's D, but ALSO is because of how strong Seattle's OFFENSE was. 3 long scoring drives out of 3 on the first 3 possessions is VERY rare in football. The Broncos stayed cold and tight on the sidelines while Seattle's offense turned up the heat. In the Ravens game it was different. The Ravens offense didn't take the heat off the D. The D just stood up and crushed the Giants, with relatively very little help.

Baltimore gave up a mere 152 yards on 59 plays (2.6 yards per play).

Just restating your conclusion again, based on the only real piece of evidence you cite to COMPARE that game and defensive performance to any other: namely, that the Broncos had a record-setting year. (Of course, where records are concerned, one could offer that Manning has rarely done well in the final game.)

Irrelevant, except to the extent it makes my case for me. (Recall, I was not arguing the Ravens' performance was the greatest of any game ever, just that it was an easy example that Seattle's was not the greatest defensive performance ever. According to Pete Carroll, your claim is wrong.)

There were only three shutouts in the offensive-minded NFL all season. And Seattle came fairly close to shutting out an offense that has a legitimate claim to be the best ever.True, there were very few shutouts in a very offensive-minded season. Of course, Baltimore's D DID shut out the Giants in the Superbowl. The only Giants points came on a kick return for a TD. The Giants NEVER scored on the Baltimore D. From scanning the list of drives from scrimmage, they got the ball to the Baltimore 30 yard line once, only to have it taken away with a pick. They reached the Baltimore 45 once. And on their other 15 chances, never even got it past midfield.

A bit sad you have to resort to plagiarism here. I wrote that, verbatim, when I put you on ignore many months ago. You could at least have the intellectual honesty to quote me.

Ghost
02-04-2014, 05:19 PM

lol!

You're right Carl, it's not just funny, it's great writing. Only thing is, it's MY writing. I wrote that, word for word, some months back. He didn't even have the decency to quote me. Stephen Glass is a total scumbag, but at least when he went out and fabricated the news, he made it up himself.

wwahl
02-06-2014, 04:46 PM
No one here appears to give any credit to the Seahawks' 12th man that may have caused Denver's little error in the first 12 seconds of the game. They showed up yesterday to the tune of an estimated 700,000 people for the Victory parade in Seattle.

hardcrab
02-06-2014, 04:53 PM
I thought the crowd was full of Tom Brady fans waving the flags with #12 on it