PDA

View Full Version : Martini

Scott Pearson
01-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Came across this. I know some of you have showed interest in this make. Looks like a nice cheap project.

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/4263445078.html

woobs
01-06-2014, 03:52 PM
`Too late, TOO LATE !`shall be the cry.............

I would have seriously considered this boat BUT, I just started the new Ski Sporter project.

Fast Shafts 1
01-10-2014, 03:27 PM
It's ROUGH!

f_inscreenname
01-10-2014, 05:28 PM
It's ROUGH!

And not a lot there.

woobs
01-10-2014, 07:09 PM
And not a lot there.

It's cheap though....

Craig S
01-13-2014, 11:23 AM
It's cheap though....

that gettin in is cheap...

Conquistador_del_mar
01-13-2014, 11:51 AM
If the Martini was more collectable and had a higher value when restored, then I would agree that the one in the ad was a bargain. I recently sold mine for only $13,000 ready to go on a tandem trailer with a 330HP TRS package. I know there are many shops that would charge that much or more just to do the glass and finish work - :doh:

woobs
01-13-2014, 12:27 PM
I suppose it's all in how you look at it. Every boat costs money. I was at the Toronto boat show yesterday. A 260hp Chris Craft Lancer 20 was $70,000. The limited Silver Bullet 320 Hp version of the same boat was $85,000. Both nice, neither collectable. The Cobalts were all well over $80,000. Up in the Muskoka area here...these are just a popular family boat. What does a new Donzi 22 cost?

A new bottom on a wooden boat is over $30,000 in my neck of the woods. That's without qualifying a collectable one vs. an ordinary woodie. Labour + wood costs what it costs no matter the boat. No way you get that expense back most of the time.

Engines, drives and interiors all cost the same regardless of which boat they are going in. You choose what you want and how you want to do it...then pay.

I just bought a 16 Ski Sporter project for $900.00..I just brought it home and I'm already in it for $2,500. By the time it's done I'm positive I'll have almost $20,000 in it. Will I ever see that? ...doubtful. If you're looking to make money on boats...restoration is not the way to go.

So this boat is at $1000. Its a good performing hull (and good looking imho). What's the alternative cut it up and ship to the dump? Or build a really cool boat (that will be almost like new) the way you want it for $35 - 40,000 or so, and drive it. It's still cheaper than a new Chris Craft, Cobalt, Donzi or about the same as a new bottom on your classic woodie. And IF you can do any of the refit yourself you not only will have the satisfaction you'll save a bit of cash too.

If you bought a used one for $15,000 and went through the whole thing to refurbish it like new the end dollar would be quite similar (easily spend $15,000 +) and you'll have just another copy of the same old boat.

Greg Guimond
01-14-2014, 12:50 PM
You are almost always better waiting patiently and finding as mint an example as you can in this market. Here is another Martini .............

f_inscreenname
01-14-2014, 06:07 PM
You are almost always better waiting patiently and finding as mint an example as you can in this market. Here is another Martini .............

Those flames knock 10 grand off of that boat alone. :biggrin.:

But Woobs is right. The used boat market is no where near what it should be and I say that with disgust. There is no reason for a new boat to go for 60 grand (a new hornet 16, 17,18 what ever it is) but yet a fresh out of the box restored original 16 can hardly make 12,500. The copy is worth more then the original. :bonk:
Could you imagine a 427 cobra kit car being worth more then an original 427 in the same condition?
Oh well, I'm going to prove you can make money on a Donzi. Started a 1976 Donzi Classic 18 a couple weeks ago. From the trailer up restore with the top coming off and I'm keeping track of the costs.

woobs
01-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Oh well, I'm going to prove you can make money on a Donzi. Started a 1976 Donzi Classic 18 a couple weeks ago. From the trailer up restore with the top coming off and I'm keeping track of the costs.

If anyone can do it.... you can!

However, just fer chits & giggles keep track of the hours you spend on it as well. Bill those hours to the job at average "shop rates" and see what it would cost a far less talented guy to build a keeper.

I'm pretty sure it will be more than the market asks and way less than the MSRP of an OE boat. My point is if a person builds his own restoration... they have a like new boat that is configured EXACTLY the way they want it for a fraction the price of a new one that may not be exactly what you want.

f_inscreenname
01-14-2014, 11:51 PM
Dude you are preaching to the preacher. I already know that if I try to put labor on these jobs it would be all over but at the same time….
I have to do a lot of things backyard. I’ve often thought about doing it like Fast Monkey garage or one of those other TV shows. A full inside garage with all the right stuff and the right people. I already know a couple guys (painter and motor guy) who I would want in my shop and even know where the shop would be located just because of very low costs. We would never make it. First we would have to flip a Donzi or something that holds their values like it, a week. I know we could do the work but the boats would dry up in about a month and even junk would go for too much money. Then there is what overhead there would be. Since I live here there is none but I did have to put a sub panel in the garage not too long ago. I blame the electric bill going up due to the weather being colder this year. Lol.
So you are right, if I didn’t love doing it (and I really do) it would be a waste of time. I’ve always had the instinct though of wanting nice stuff but not wanting to pay for it. I much would rather pay an honest price for junk and rebuild it then pay top dollar for something that is already done. Every house I’ve owned, well let’s just say a couple of the first ones may or may not have been condemned while living there but they were all “fixer uppers” and the newest house I’ve ever owned was the one I’m in now (prefer much older houses) that was only a decade old when we bought it. We bought it for the location but it was also trashed like you never saw a 10 year old house trashed. So fixing up old thing and making people go wow is almost like a drug at this point.
Something I think this generation has lost. You don’t have to go out and work 80 hours a week to pay for some guy to come paint your house or hang drywall or insulation, etc, etc if you want nice stuff get your hands dirty and do it. I understand everyone can’t do everything but that’s where your network comes in and with the internet it shouldn’t be too hard to find the help you need. Like now, I’m in contact with a guy in Qidong, Jiangsu, P.R.China trying to get the same seat material to match the front seats I bought for the Donzi. It took 15 minutes on Google to find who made the seats and another 5 minutes to find someone’s email to make contact. By the 4th email they want my shipping address and I suck at the net compared to my 13 year old daughter so I know they can do it and have much better resources. I couldn’t even imagine “tweeting” out to a network that I’m looking for this or that part like they do in junkyards but a 2014’s version and so much bigger. The power kids have today and if they would get their hands dirty to they would be unstoppable.

Ghost
01-14-2014, 11:56 PM
Good points.

I still think you need a TV show. :)

f_inscreenname
01-15-2014, 12:18 AM
Good points.

I still think you need a TV show. :)

You would be there to as our IT guy that can get dirty like the rest of us. Not like that IT guy from Gas Monkey. :p

f_inscreenname
01-15-2014, 12:56 AM
Also Woobs it would be impossible to separate the work hours from the hanging out hours. I keep the garage warm during the winter, have a ceiling fan (no ac yet but I can always just open the door to the house when the wife is not looking, lol), TV, rack stereo system, fridge, laptop with internet on the desk … It’s just like the basement (the ultimate man cave) but everything is smaller including the room sadly or it would also have a full bar. lol. Before this house I used to build motors under the open rear deck of our house. 5’3” head room. Couldn’t tell you how many times …. This garage over the last 6 years has evolved into something nicer then a few of my old houses. I’ve come a long way baby. So you may just find me out there for a few hours jamming on some old Deep Purple or watching a game and not worry if something I’m doing flies across the room unlike the basement. Also you don’t feel like you are taking time out of your world to do stuff if your world is out there with you. I couldn’t tell you how many Ravens games or Nascar races I’ve watched in the garage. Start time at 1pm (in the middle of the day) going on for 3+ hours. No reason to waste your whole day on it but you aint missing it either
So to anyone who has an issue getting started on a garage or driveway project I would say get the space comfortable first. Get some tunes, old TV, have a decent chair to sit in (the bucket gets old), fan, heat over the winter. You don’t have to make it the tropics but 75% of the county could use a cheap Home Depot space heater and keep it comfortable. It doesn’t work going out and cranking the heat on high just while you are out there. When everything in the room is warm to a certain point already is what makes it comfortable. Even for the driveway project it’s a nice having for a retreat.

woobs
01-15-2014, 07:33 AM
So, I'm sure we are on the same page here (in terms of this Martini...)

At $1000 it's a good project for a keeper (if it's the type of boat you want).
I'd watch your TV show. even if half of it was bench racin' and drinkin' beer!

f_inscreenname
01-15-2014, 09:48 AM
I'd watch your TV show. even if half of it was bench racin' and drinkin' beer!

I better start looking for a beer assistant. :wink:

woobs
01-16-2014, 08:53 AM
I better start looking for a beer assistant. :wink:

You could start here...and have a new "assistant" every show!