PDA

View Full Version : Shifting problem on 86' Minx

wbnjr
01-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Recently I have noticed that when shifting between n, r, and f the response is getting pretty iffy. I am presuming the first thing to check would be cables which are original. What else should be checked? Thanks

duckhunter
01-04-2014, 08:12 PM
Sounds like a shift cable issue to me. They get stretched out over time and eventually fail. Or, you could get a knucklehead mechanic that routes your brand-new cable so it is touching the coupler and fails within hours. Ask me how I know about that...

Bottom line, it's pretty much a maintenance item that needs to be done every once in a while.

What drive and shifter setup do you have? Changed the drive lube recently? Is the shift interrupter working (if you have one)?

Ghost
01-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Two thoughts. If the cables are from '86, they should be replaced for sure, as DH noted. And I'd bet that fixes it.

Also, when you say shifting is "iffy," what's that mean precisely? Very hard to move, sometimes go into gear, sometimes not? Not hard to move, but sometimes shifts and sometimes doesn't? Other? (Presume you have a single lever that operates both throttle and shift, but useful to know if not.)

gcarter
01-05-2014, 06:51 AM
If it's really difficult to shift (hard to move the control), it could be the interrupter switch has failed. It's located on the shift plate usually mounted on the STBD riser. The last time I replaced one, Merc had changed the availability so you had to buy the entire plate.....and not just the $10.00 Microswitch.

MOP
01-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Before you do anything go through the shift adjustments, cable stretch mentioned above unless real bad can be very easily adjusted at the converter. Notice at the converter where the drive cable attaches that pin is in a slotted boss that can be loosened to change the throw. Since I can't get hands on this English Bloke does a great job it is some simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s_tgevX2aI

MOP
01-05-2014, 05:27 PM
George brought up a good point about the micro switch, that is usual Merc BS! It is a common roller switch, the roller tip from a Merc switch is long but can be cannibalized off a bad switch onto a new with a simple pin change saving you a GREAT gob of $$$. Much of Merc Krap can be gotten by with a tad of imagination! I learned a few as a mechanic and a few more working in the marine parts house.