PDA

View Full Version : Classic (sweet) 16 lifting eyes

se7en
12-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Hi, does anyone lift there 16 with the fore and aft lift eyes ? I have a 1999 16 with a 4.3 and alpha drive, I am in the U.K. and at one of the meets I go to each year , the boats have to be craned in, lifting the boat with strops round the hull is a little difficult due to the trailer bunks.
I was thinking of getting a single point lifting harness made, has any one on here any experience of doing this ? if so, any idea of how long I should make the front and rear parts of the harness ?....... or is this a daft idea ?

hardcrab
12-16-2013, 05:33 PM
You can lift and hang your boat using these eyes.

If you are using a single central hitch point, I would suggest attaching a spreader bar on the lifting straps to keep the pull on the eyes vertical

Ghost
12-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Ditto the spreader bar. I''d also say thoroughly check out the mechanicals of the eyes before using them. Make sure stuff is properly snugged and still attached properly to stringers/bulkheads, etc, such that the lifting force is on the structural frame of the hull and NOT on the deck. Lots of these boats see mods where people keep the eyes up top but monkey with what's below such that they won't hold.

BUIZILLA
12-16-2013, 06:13 PM
if you cut 4"x1" slots in your bunks you can pass the straps through the slots..

hardcrab
12-16-2013, 06:18 PM
if you cut 4"x1" slots in your bunks you can pass the straps through the slots..

:idea: ............. there ya go!

se7en
12-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, I like the idea of cutting bits out of the bunks, but the bunks on my trailer are 6" wide but only 1 3/4" thick, so I think I may have to go with a spreader, I have a piece of aluminium 'I' section somewhere, I'll have to check it out and rigg something on the trailer to transport it.

hardcrab
12-16-2013, 06:37 PM
I''d also say thoroughly check out the mechanicals of the eyes before using them. Make sure stuff is properly snugged and still attached properly to stringers/bulkheads, etc, such that the lifting force is on the structural frame of the hull and NOT on the deck. Lots of these boats see mods where people keep the eyes up top but monkey with what's below such that they won't hold.

Worth sayin' again.

se7en
12-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Or I could fix an 1"" thick board on top of the existing bunks with a 4"" gap......I am re carpeting the bunks over the Christmas holidays anyway...Hmm........thanks Buizilla....given me something to think about.