PDA

View Full Version : Saving the Donzi.Net site

MOP
12-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Obviously we need some help in trying to keep the site up and running, it is in a slow slide at this point time is of the essence. Please anyone with ideas post them here!!!

I am going to try to contact Scot's misses for some guidance.

M.O.P.

Edit: Currently there is no answer and the mail box is full, I will give it a try in a day or two.

Maybe one of the members that live in close proximity could try checking with his misses.

Just Say N20
12-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Phil,

While I don't know the current status, I believe there is an interest to obtain the rights to this site from some people who would do a great job. I discussed this with them right after Scot's passing, and they wanted to allow some time to pass before approaching Scot's wife about the website.

Hopefully things will move forward, as there is an incredible wealth of information here. It would be tragic if it was not preserved.

MOP
12-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Hope we can get something going, just noticed the donation button is missing from the page header sure hope it is not an Oman!

Redink
12-12-2013, 04:58 PM
I own an IT firm. Would be happy to help out however I can.

tmdog
12-12-2013, 07:46 PM
I heard that Poodle guy is trying to make a move. If only those deleted posts could reappear.

RockyS18
12-12-2013, 07:55 PM
I just noticed this thread. My reply to the other thread would be better off here, sorry to post in two areas.

I've worked with vBulletin in the past, and I'd be happy to lend a hand where help is needed. Unfortunately if there is no other person with full administrative privileges like Scot, gaining full control of the site so someone can take over the job is going to be difficult. Maybe we could contact Scot's wife as Carl mentioned and see if he has his password written down anywhere? We could make the necessary updates to fix the spam and assess the payment situation... The server isn't free.

BUIZILLA
12-12-2013, 07:57 PM
someone knows Harbormasters password, because they are online here right now.. and thats a good thing

Carl C
12-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Hmmm, could there be a merger in the future?

hardcrab
12-12-2013, 08:26 PM
someone knows Harbormasters password, because they are online here right now.. and thats a good thing

I noticed that for the last few days

VetteLT193
12-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Web development is what i do for a living (for the most part, I also deal with ruggedized GPS devices and mobile apps, etc.).

I have offered help in the past to both sites and was blew off but I'll offer again. I tried buying a portion of this site from Harbormaster but he really wanted to keep it at the time. If anyone needs help just get in touch. Willing to run, help run, give advice, tweak stuff, etc.

Rob M
12-13-2013, 06:31 AM
It would be nice to make this a co-op site, owned by Donzi enthusiasts (annual membership) for Donzi enthusiasts. I am not sure how you value this site realistically, but it is invaluable to those who use it seriously. Perhaps there is a way to purchase this from Scot's estate as a legacy for all his hard work keeping it going for over a decade, and then to preserve the spirit of a democratic site with a law of decency that it seemed he was trying to instill and maintain. It could be run for continuity from member proceeds and ad dollars, not necessarily with an eye to profit. Maybe a little too Utopian, but I think many want to see it preserved 'as is'.

Rob

yeller
12-13-2013, 09:04 PM
I too would hate to see the info on this site lost. I would also like to see the two sites merge....BUT unless you are a super close friend of Scot's, it's too early contact his family. The time since Scot has passed is only a nanosecond in the minds of the family.

Marlin275
12-14-2013, 11:59 AM
The Donate button and the Donzi Direct.com ad is back.
The site is getting attention again.

Carl C
12-14-2013, 12:17 PM
It's a labor of love. I'd love to to it but don't know how. http://www.getwebsitevalue.com/www.donzi.net

Jraysray
12-14-2013, 05:39 PM
It's a labor of love. I'd love to to it but don't know how. http://www.getwebsitevalue.com/www.donzi.net

Offers we're made in the past but Scot had no interest. He told me the offers made and the players involved. While I have no inside knowledge what's going on now, my speculation and hope is that those guys are trying again.

I along with some others have access to people so if your serious pm me and I can pass your message along.

Ghost
12-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks Scott. (And I agree, that valuation is absurd and at best serves no useful purpose.)

John C in PA
12-14-2013, 07:17 PM
The valuation webpage is obviously flawed as it shows zero daily page visits. Unfortunately, the site won't run itself forever, both from a financial standpoint and from hackers. But Scot's family deserves time to grieve too. Fingers crossed everything holds together until some changes are made.

John C in PA

mfriske
12-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Hello, my name is Marcus and I have known Scot for over 20 years. We worked together at NASA and become the best of friends. Over the last year we talked about maintaining his websites if things didn't go well. Unfortunately, we talked more about the past than the future. Talking about the worst was too defeating for me, so I couldn't and didn't press him about the day to day operations of his sites, of which there are several. The last month I focused on the commercial customers and making sure they had what they needed. I have now gotten myself unburied from the flood of information and can now focus some energy on this site which was Scot's pride and joy. I do have all the necessary passwords to keep the site running and I am in contact with his wife. We want to wait until after the holidays before making any decisions about the site. I can tell you that there is no plan to shutter the site. There is currently enough income through subscriptions and donations to keep the site running. The Donzi.net software is not my area of expertise, but I am a programmer and I have resources to call on for assistance.

Meanwhile, if you see anything that I'm missing, you can email the harbormaster account and I will work on it immediately. I am a federal employee, so due to those policies and regulations, I am not able to check emails or make updates during the workday.

Thank you for you patience during this trying time.

Conquistador_del_mar
12-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Excellent news, Marcus! Thank you for the assistance and update. Bill

Ghost
12-14-2013, 11:35 PM
Marcus, thanks for the update and even more for the work you are doing, both for Scot's family as well as for us. Regards, -Mike

joseph m. hahnl
12-15-2013, 07:29 AM

:nilly: That link has a computer's kiss off death :shocking:

joseph m. hahnl
12-15-2013, 08:02 AM
Hello, my name is Marcus and I have known Scot for over 20 years. We worked together at NASA and become the best of friends. Over the last year we talked about maintaining his websites if things didn't go well. Unfortunately, we talked more about the past than the future. Talking about the worst was too defeating for me, so I couldn't and didn't press him about the day to day operations of his sites, of which there are several. The last month I focused on the commercial customers and making sure they had what they needed. I have now gotten myself unburied from the flood of information and can now focus some energy on this site which was Scot's pride and joy. I do have all the necessary passwords to keep the site running and I am in contact with his wife. We want to wait until after the holidays before making any decisions about the site. I can tell you that there is no plan to shutter the site. There is currently enough income through subscriptions and donations to keep the site running. The Donzi.net software is not my area of expertise, but I am a programmer and I have resources to call on for assistance.

Meanwhile, if you see anything that I'm missing, you can email the harbormaster account and I will work on it immediately. I am a federal employee, so due to those policies and regulations, I am not able to check emails or make updates during the workday.

Thank you for you patience during this trying time.

:propeller::propeller::propeller::propeller::prope ller::propeller::propeller::propeller::propeller:: propeller::propeller::propeller::propeller::propel ler::propeller::propeller::propeller::propeller::p ropeller::propeller::propeller::propeller::propell er::propeller::propeller::propeller::propeller::pr opeller::propeller::propeller::propeller::propelle r::propeller::propeller:

"No worries":wink: Other than the Chinese landing on the moon:boggled: This is truely the beginning the end.:lightning :salute: Save our Country, Impeach a politician:salute:

Lets start with, Phat Dumb Dung :wink:http://mcswhispers.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/politician.jpg

MOP
12-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Marcus you have provided what the membership truly needs, the hope of a continuing life for the site. It is obvious Scot touched you like so many others, in advance I and all others thank you for any help you provide.

God bless the memory of Scot!

M.O.P.

pipnit
12-18-2013, 09:54 PM

That site is weak sauce and wrong. No google ranking? No back links? Me thinks not!

This is more realistic: http://urlm.co/www.donzi.net

Carl C
12-19-2013, 06:35 AM
Now we have two threads going on the same topic. I conceded on the other thread that I was wrong and that appraising a web site is not that easy and that it is worth much more than that calculator came up with. To us, it is priceless. Real world cash value? IDK!

duckhunter
12-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Marcus,

Thanks for taking the time to keep the site running and help Scot's family. It is appreciated! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Chris

Greg Guimond
12-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Thank you Marcus for your helping hand. This site has such a wealth of historically relevant information it needs to be preserved. Thanks!!!!

John C in PA
12-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Marcus,

Thanks for taking the time to keep the site running and help Scot's family. It is appreciated! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Chris

Thank you Marcus for your helping hand. This site has such a wealth of historically relevant information it needs to be preserved. Thanks!!!!

Do you guys (or anyone else here) actually know mrfriske or have met him or spoken with Mrs. VanAlstine about the continuation of the website? Just a little background question in anticipation of possible new webpage management.

John C in PA

gcarter
12-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Do you guys (or anyone else here) actually know mrfriske or have met him or spoken with Mrs. VanAlstine about the continuation of the website? Just a little background question in anticipation of possible new webpage management.

John C in PA

I know efforts are being made, but I don't know the status of things.

mfriske
12-19-2013, 08:18 PM
You probably won't know me unless you know about Rowdy. My wife and I gave Rowdy to Scot many years ago (11, I think). I am a car person with 3 kids, two in college, so even my car person state has been sidelined with kid activities. Scot entrusted me with the keys to his labor of love - this site. I, along with Kim, his wife, will make sure that the effort he put in for the past 8 years, will continue into the future. Scot left us a lot of instructions, so we have a good guideline to follow his wishes. I'm aware of the challenges that this site has experienced and I will do my best to avoid the drama and ensure it remains true to Scot's vision.

You can Google me, and pretty much the first page is all about me (and my kids).

John C in PA

Carl C
12-19-2013, 08:25 PM
You probably won't know me unless you know about Rowdy. My wife and I gave Rowdy to Scot many years ago (11, I think). I am a car person with 3 kids, two in college, so even my car person state has been sidelined with kid activities. Scot entrusted me with the keys to his labor of love - this site. I, along with Kim, his wife, will make sure that the effort he put in for the past 8 years, will continue into the future. Scot left us a lot of instructions, so we have a good guideline to follow his wishes. I'm aware of the challenges that this site has experienced and I will do my best to avoid the drama and ensure it remains true to Scot's vision.

You can Google me, and pretty much the first page is all about me (and my kids).

We need a "Like" option! ;) :)

John C in PA
12-19-2013, 09:09 PM

Thx for the detailed reply. I was a bit confused since your very first post indicated that you just joined but had 10 rep points already.

Good luck with the site.

John C

scippy
12-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Marcus this is a great site!....I'm glad to know Scot intrusted you with his baby, you have my support! ................welcome!!!

joseph m. hahnl
12-21-2013, 07:15 AM
:biggrin: http://darrenhorne.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/mick-dundee.jpg:biggrin:

mattyboy
12-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Marcus this is a great site!....I'm glad to know Scot intrusted you with his baby, you have my support! ................welcome!!!

+1 !!!!!

DonziJon
12-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Marcus says he has all the passwords required to access the web site. As HE suggested, I Googled his name. Very impressive resume.

Maybe Marcus would make a post using the Webmasters screename..Harbormaster..to show he actually has Access. Trust then verify..... Just wondering....

harbormaster
12-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Okay, to verify... I want you to know I am doing my best.

Marcus

Marcus says he has all the passwords required to access the web site. As HE suggested, I Googled his name. Very impressive resume.

Maybe Marcus would make a post using the Webmasters screename..Harbormaster..to show he actually has Access. Trust then verify..... Just wondering....

CHACHI
12-23-2013, 10:10 AM

Marcus

,,,and we appreciate it.

Ken

DonziJon
12-23-2013, 10:16 AM

Marcus

Thanks Marcus. :yes: DJ

Team Jefe
12-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Marcus has Scot's Trust and Confidence. He also has Kim's..... and Mine!

hardcrab
12-23-2013, 10:08 PM
one might imagine that the current state of .org being out of commision and .net in a regrouping might not be a coincidence???

......hmmmm ?