PDA

View Full Version : The beginning of the end

Just Say N20
12-12-2013, 08:09 AM
I'm afraid that unless there is someone else working the site, we are at the beginning of the end.

Scot used to deal with the spammers periodically. Without someone actively running the site, there is no one dealing with the issue, and I'm afraid it will just get worse until the site is no longer usable.

Ideas?

Scott Pearson
12-12-2013, 09:11 AM
I agree. This is not good. I hope it gets addressed.

Just Say N20
12-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Scott,

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, there is no one else "running/administrating" the site.

It has actually run longer than I thought it would before we encountered an issue. I don't know what is involved with owning/running a website, but I'm sure there are services that must be paid for. At some point, additional payments will be requested and not made, and things could snowball down hill.

There is a tremendous amount of good information on the site, so I hope there are some "people in the know" who are pursuing a way to keep the site functional into the future.

Carl C
12-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Maybe someone should contact Scot's wife and make an offer. The site isn't worth a whole lot of money. I wouldn't have a clue how to run it either. Apparently Scot has it set up pretty secure since it hasn't been hacked. Just ignore the spammers. I'm proud at how everyone has been cordial and self moderating since Scot's demise.

scippy
12-12-2013, 01:59 PM
I'm sure it had to cross Scot's mind in the event he were gone what would happen to the site?......it's hard to believe there wouldn't be a backup.

Morgan's Cloud
12-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Are there no active moderators left who can eliminate these junk posts ?
I mean , everyone knows 5mg viagara isn't going to cut it .. :jester:

hardcrab
12-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Ideas?

don't wish them happy birthday :biggrin:

MOP
12-12-2013, 04:15 PM
We need a post saying lets save the site. We need someone who computer savvy with too much time on there hands willing to give it a try.

RockyS18
12-12-2013, 07:52 PM
I've worked with vBulletin in the past, and I'd be happy to lend a hand where help is needed. Unfortunately if there is no other person with full administrative privileges like Scot, gaining full control of the site so someone can take over the job is going to be difficult. Maybe we could contact Scot's wife as Carl mentioned and see if he has his password written down anywhere? We could make the necessary updates to fix the spam and assess the payment situation... The server isn't free.

Greg Guimond
12-12-2013, 09:26 PM
I don't understand the technology but would be happy to make a large financial contribution. Seeing this coming, I transferred my entire Surface Tension thread onto CD and then had that printed out onto hard copy as well. I'm going to have to do the same with the OB thread. It takes a lot of time.

Carl C
12-13-2013, 06:31 AM
I don't understand the technology but would be happy to make a large financial contribution. Seeing this coming, I transferred my entire Surface Tension thread onto CD and then had that printed out onto hard copy as well. I'm going to have to do the same with the OB thread. It takes a lot of time.

I don't think it will die. All of the great stuff here by Big Griz, Brownie and so many others has to be saved. Someone will keep it going. :)

joseph m. hahnl
12-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Isn't the asset owned by Victory Marine:confused:

Rootsy
12-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Maybe someone should contact Scot's wife and make an offer. The site isn't worth a whole lot of money. I wouldn't have a clue how to run it either. Apparently Scot has it set up pretty secure since it hasn't been hacked. Just ignore the spammers. I'm proud at how everyone has been cordial and self moderating since Scot's demise.

I wouldn't be so sure of that Carl....

Carl C
12-18-2013, 02:51 PM
I wouldn't be so sure of that Carl....

It's really difficult to determine the cash value of a web site. Yes, the $20 figure that came up is too low. Some say that the value is equal to the revenue that the site generates in two years. An older site like this one is worth more. I agree that the $20 is incorrect. It really depends on what kind of revenue is coming in and what potential buyers are willing to pay. The data stored on this site is priceless but what would it sell for and how would you go about marketing an established web site? Maybe new ownership has already been established. I guess we will find out in time. I concede that the $20 is ridiculously low. It's the number that came up on a web site value calculator. I know now that it's not that easy.

John C in PA
12-18-2013, 06:18 PM
I hope something positive happens with the administration of this site soon. Donzi.org HAS active moderation and administration and still it got hacked today and Avast notified me there is malware on the site. Also, I was notified today that my subscription to this site expires in a few days. I sure hope that my contribution will be used to save the Registry.

John C in PA

BUIZILLA
12-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Donzi.org HAS active moderation and administration and still it got hacked today and Avast notified me there is malware on the site. It does not appear we had a hack, it appears we have a server issue though, thats for sure, everything is intact and can be opened behind the scenes, we be workin' on it :bonk:

John C in PA
12-19-2013, 01:14 PM
It does not appear we had a hack, it appears we have a server issue though, thats for sure, everything is intact and can be opened behind the scenes, we be workin' on it :bonk:

Buiz, just FYI, my Avast did flash a warning about malware. Hope I'm worng.

John C

XMETAL
02-06-2014, 03:08 PM
For anyone whos interested, I just started a Facebook group called Donzi Owners Group. Anyone who is interested or has a Donzi is more then welcome to join until I figure out how to set up a web forum page!

Carl C
02-06-2014, 03:45 PM
For anyone whos interested, I just started a Facebook group called Donzi Owners Group. Anyone who is interested or has a Donzi is more then welcome to join until I figure out how to set up a web forum page!

I can't find it.

XMETAL
02-06-2014, 05:58 PM
https://www.facebook.com/groups/249369318577717/

Moody Blu'
03-14-2014, 11:32 PM
it be wise of you to post a link to the facebook site on a thread that you start. not sure how many people use FB on here but im sure it will help

Carl C
03-15-2014, 05:23 AM
https://www.facebook.com/groups/249369318577717/

it be wise of you to post a link to the facebook site on a thread that you start. not sure how many people use FB on here but im sure it will help

I found the page and asked to join awhile ago. It's a closed group with 3 members and it appears to have been abandoned.

Moody Blu'
03-15-2014, 11:59 AM
there's a 250r atv group on facebook and I'm very surprised on the amount of people on it. the 250r was only produced for 4 years and its still the best atv ever made 2 stroke monster with the best handling etc.. it has become a haven for 250r guys.

I think the difference is a lot of donzi guys do not use facebook so its hard to get a fb site busy.

I know a fair amount about vbb and will be happy to do something to keep the site up.

One other things that may be an option and will be a long tedious task in effort to save all the information if there is no way to get control of the registry before it goes under is to copy all the information by highlighting it then pasting it into word thread by thread and then reposting it onto the other site once all info has been copied. or just copy all of it thread for thread and past each thread in a text only page with links to each thread? or once all the info has been copied, reposting everything in the same order on the org site, another words posting the info under the users names that originally posted by making up a user account for them and posting the starter thread and all the sub posts of the starting user thread.

I know thats a VERY tedious process. I'm sure someone will find a way to save the forum, eventually both forums really need to become one again. sigh I know its a complicated task as of now.

Carl C
03-15-2014, 12:46 PM
There have been changes behind the scenes. I noticed that Lenny is a moderator. I wonder if this site has been sold.