PDA

View Full Version : need help with supercharger

craigdskilling
12-05-2013, 07:38 PM
7837578374I just got back from the shop and have a few Q.How do I hook up the water to the whipple do I tie into the motor cooling system.I bought a adjustable water pick up and also a new sea strainer that I thought I needed,but whipple instructions say tie into the cooling sys.I think that the pick up is for the whipple.Also do I get rid of the cool fuel that came with the motor or get something else.Please I really need help.asure if you chime in that would be great.thanks craig

younger
12-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Looks good!

CHACHI
12-06-2013, 05:40 AM
It is a long winter in Canada, isn't it.

Looks real cool.

Ken

Pat McPherson
12-06-2013, 07:18 PM
My guess is that a standard Bravo drive pickup and belt driven raw water pump would supply plenty of water. I would think the intercooler could be plumbed in line with the power steering cooler and cool fuel. Give Dustin at Whipple a call...

craigdskilling
12-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Yes it is a very long winter, I just don't want what happened last year I want the boat to be ready by may 1st so that boat is sitting in the lot of mod fathers to put the program in for the whipple and test the engine.How do find old post.I cant find the post on my supercharger with some good info.so if anyone can help please.thanks craig

yeller
12-06-2013, 09:54 PM
I tied mine into the cooling hose after the raw water pump.

With my 496HO/procharger, the stock fuel cooler was used. I didn't have a problem, but I also didn't run high rpms for more than a few seconds at a time. A lot of guys toasted procharger engines due to leaning out. Was it because of too small injectors....no ecu change...or was it the restrictions caused by the stock fuel lines (and cooler). I don't know the difinitive answer, but I increased my line size.....and trashed the stock fuel cooler for my new engine.

In my opinion, if you plan on running 4500 or more rpm for any length of time, I'd dump the fuel cooler. BUT, if you still have it installed, then my guess is your entire deliver system from tank pickup all the way through is too small.

osur866
12-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Seperate fuel cooler We took off the factory cool/fuel and added an in line cooler. I T-ed the intercooler off the seawater pump and had too low of water pressure, due to the fact there is a fuel cooler, power steering cooler, oil cooler along with trying to cool the engine Dustin thought it was best to take the intercooler off the seawater pump so, I took the intercooler off the seawater pump and ran a separate transom pick up which is force fed to the intercooler thru a sand/sea strainer and worked better, at idle there's no water thru the intercooler which can cause rich and fouling plugs, make sure you run a medium duty oil cooler, how much boost and what's your compression ratio? Did you dyno tune it? If so what kinda HP and TQ #'s you get? What ECM?

yeller
12-09-2013, 07:00 PM
I'm surprised you didn't have enough water pressure through the cooler. I had really good water flow through mine.

craigdskilling
12-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Thanks asur866 for answering some q's. I never got the boat out last year. I did buy a pick up which is adjustable and I also have a 4 port sea strainer which I hope to use for the engine and the whipple. We were talking of getting rid of the cool fuel pump and going with something else anyways so I will do that. I never got the motor dynode and I am running a 555 ecu also I bought a msg ignition coil that I think I need but not sure. I had to change everything on the motor as I changed from carb to EFI engine.I had to change the stainless marine risers to custom and the manifolds.We had bowls welded into the risers so that we can put sensors in to watch the exhaust for running to rich I think that's the right terminology for these things.What do you do from fouling.

craigdskilling
12-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Yeller I think my fuel lines are3/4 what should they be thanks.

craigdskilling
12-09-2013, 07:31 PM
In the first picture you can see the oil cooler its huge.

osur866
12-10-2013, 09:53 AM
I'm surprised you didn't have enough water pressure through the cooler. I had really good water flow through mine.

Whipple Vs. Procharger different animal. I only had 13psi when the intercooler was plumbed in at 75 mph it's not only psi but flow, my intercooler sees 30-35 psi at 85 mph with plenty of flow

craigdskilling
12-10-2013, 06:50 PM
What should I do with the cool fuel.do I need to keep it cool for the whipple or can I get a normal high volume pump with a cooler in it or not.asur888 what kind of fuel pump are u running.thanks craig:)

osur866
12-11-2013, 08:35 AM
What should I do with the cool fuel.do I need to keep it cool for the whipple or can I get a normal high volume pump with a cooler in it or not.asur888 what kind of fuel pump are u running.thanks craig:)

Running a Areomotive A1000, did you buy this as a kit from Whipple? I bought a whole kit from Whipple and it was included, who's gonna tune your ECM 555?? If you haven't talked to Dustin @ Whipple I strongly suggest you do, he can point you in the right direction and tune your ECM 555, mine went back to him 2 times after the first tune he did based on A/F ratios. I have had ZERO issues with the tune of my engine, it purrs like a little kitten at idle and full boost comes in at 4,800 and feels like someone hit the N2O button pulls all the way to the limiter at 6,042 Rpms. Dustin is about the only one that can tune the Emc555 to my knowledge, to get it right a dyno tune and giving Dustin the A/F ratios is really the way to get it right, he can also point you in the right direction on fuel pump and coolers. I changed to the bigger valve alumium heads a 7qt oil pan medium size oil cooler and fuel cooler to ensure I don't melt down the internals, went with fordged dished blower pistons that dropped compression to 8.8:1 running a total of 6 psi of boost that comes all in at 4,800 rpm. What have you done to the engine? Is it stock?

craigdskilling
12-11-2013, 03:24 PM
He changed the piston also deep dish and a larger cam to bring the comp down also keeping the stock vorteck heads for now they are both brand new with the motor.so back to the fuel pump I have to get a separate cooler for that or can I use anything from the old system.thanks trying to call dustin keep missing him busy man.what kind of heads should I go with if I change them.thanks guys.

osur866
12-11-2013, 04:47 PM
He changed the piston also deep dish and a larger cam to bring the comp down also keeping the stock vorteck heads for now they are both brand new with the motor.so back to the fuel pump I have to get a separate cooler for that or can I use anything from the old system.thanks trying to call dustin keep missing him busy man.what kind of heads should I go with if I change them.thanks guys.

I went with alumium Eldebrock E-tec's with 2.02/1.94 valves there's others out there that may be better, but I had to keep the vortec bolt pattern for the intake manifold, alumium will give a little extra insurance with dentition and that was also a concern. Also went with a slightly larger cam and 1.6 full roller rockers, any cam with more than about .490 lift the heads will need some machining also if you go with the 1.6 length rockers on the vortec heads you'll need to do a little machining. Don't have my cam card handy but it's a comp cam I'm thinkin I'm the 228/232 duration and .505-.510 lift if memery serves me. Motor made right at 600 hp at 6,000 and still making hp, tq was pretty much at 560-580 from 3,000-5700 ish where the tq started to fall off and was about 545 at 6,000.
Basically I bought whipples 6.2 kit and added 2 extra injectors account a lager cam bigger valves, longer rockers. The stock kit has about 3-3.5 psi but we dropped the compression with the dished pistons and upped the boost to 6 psi, mine was tuned on 91 10% ethanol fuel and I've had 0 issues with the tune.

craigdskilling
12-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Have the same set up but with the same stock vortech heads and it was bored out also have the extra 2 Injectors and was told mi 91 oct.Will the stock cool fuel work.I talked to Dustin answered all my Q,great guy.when I re do my heads down the road he will help me out.I have lots of great parts that didn't need that I will be selling.

osur866
12-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Have the same set up but with the same stock vortech heads and it was bored out also have the extra 2 Injectors and was told mi 91 oct.Will the stock cool fuel work.I talked to Dustin answered all my Q,great guy.when I re do my heads down the road he will help me out.I have lots of great parts that didn't need that I will be selling.

Cool, as far as the cool fuel, idk what you have, I had the same kind as what's on the 496 it was a pump, cooler and filter all In one and since the pump wasn't gonna cut it it all went. Don't know if that helps or not.
And yes Dustin is the man, he has some good tired and proven combos.
I whet with the alumium heads for 2 reasons, 1) the stock vortecs have the smaller 1.94/1.50 valves I wanted the larger 2.02/1.60's and 2) I wanted the added insurance of the heat distribution of the alumium plus the weight savings doesn't hurt either 😄

craigdskilling
12-12-2013, 03:45 PM
asur you have the Aeromotive A1000 is this same one from cpperformance #715-111101 how did you work the cooler into that to cool the fuel.or does the pump do all that itself.

osur866
12-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Craig, it's an inline cooler like your oil cooler but not as long, not sure what the brand or size that's on mine.

yeller
12-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Yeller I think my fuel lines are3/4 what should they be thanks.
Sorry, I was rethinking and I'm betting your lines are ok. I'm guessing your about 500hp? I'm about 650hp, so I needed to increase mine. That being said, I'd think your stock fuel cooler might be ok........BUT, I am NOT an expert.
I believe you are mistaken about your line size though. You propably have 3/8 lines, not 3/4.
Pics are of the spare oil cooler I had laying around and am using for my fuel cooler.

Whipple Vs. Procharger different animal. I only had 13psi when the intercooler was plumbed in at 75 mph it's not only psi but flow, my intercooler sees 30-35 psi at 85 mph with plenty of flow
I agree, different animal, but they are very similiar when it comes to the cooling. Just thinking out loud: it may make a difference where the tee is located in relation to the other coolers. The water is going to take the path of least resistance and if the tee is before the other coolers, there will be greater resistance downstream of the tee than if the tee was after all the coolers. Does that make any sense?

osur866
12-14-2013, 10:04 AM
I agree, different animal, but they are very similiar when it comes to the cooling. Just thinking out loud: it may make a difference where the tee is located in relation to the other coolers. The water is going to take the path of least resistance and if the tee is before the other coolers, there will be greater resistance downstream of the tee than if the tee was after all the coolers. Does that make any sense?[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I had mine T-ed off right after the sea pump before any coolers etc. I'm also running an Imco lower which it surprised me cause most people have a high water pressure issue with them instead of a low psi issue but it was what it was and I added a separate transom p/u just for the intercooler and I do like it better, like I said while idling or running slower there's less psi and flow in the intercooler and as your speed goes up and more boost kicks in the psi and flow of the intercooler rises. It also helps on cold starts not running as rich.

Steve

craigdskilling
12-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the picks yeller that's what I kind of thinking of doing also,did you drill the holes out I saw the drill bit in that one pick.I have a extra power steering cooler would that work.The sea strainer I have is a 4 port so one would be for the engine and the other for the whipple and plum the fuel cooler in the the same line with the engine correct.

yeller
12-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Steve, that really surpiises me that you didn't have enough water flow. I tee'd mine after the oil and steering cooler and had lots of flow. If someone suggested the two different placements I would have said your setup would have far outflowed mine. I guess it's just another one of things that have to be tried to see if it works.

Glen

yeller
12-14-2013, 02:36 PM
craigdskilling, I didn't drill out the ports. I had to make my own fittings though because I couldn't find an inverted flare to -10 fitting. Largest I could find was a -8 so I took an inverted flare fitting and a -10, cut the ends off of each and brazed them together.

I don't see any reason why the setup you suggest won't work but like I said, I'm not an expert. I'm just your typical handyman type. I don't even know if my setup will work. I believe it's going to, but you never know

yeller
12-14-2013, 02:54 PM
I just thought about it a bit more and I have one concern about the steering cooler. The steering coolers I've seen do not run the water through multiple tubes like in my pics. They are just one big tube and the fuel flows around that one tube to cool down. With multiple tubes you will have more cooling surface and as a result end up with cooler fuel.

Cooler fuel is better.

Now the steering cooler may be good enough. I don't know how a "real" fuel cooler is designed. I never looked at my stock merc one. If they are just a single tube I'd say use the steering cooler. If they use multiple tubes I'd find something else