PDA

View Full Version : Engine Paint

guy with the red donzi
11-20-2013, 09:59 PM
Hey, I have the engine out of my 16 and I want to repaint it. I am going to be painting it yellow. Does anyone have any recomendations on what engine paint to go with? Thanks

Conquistador_del_mar
11-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Imron will hold up very well.

mattyboy
11-21-2013, 08:29 AM
I have seen the POR15 paint system on a few motors it holds up really well but as in any paint job it is the prep work . one motor was even yellow

I used por15 old ford blue on some of my motor in combo with duplicolor rattle cans in the hard to reach areas the por is brush on and their procedure needs to be followed for good results

mattyboy
11-21-2013, 09:24 AM
on the yellow motor the intake is por15 silver that motor looked the same as it did 7 yrs after it dried

MOP
11-23-2013, 01:35 PM
A buddy of mine runs a yard that takes care of CG boats, he turned me onto the best metal primer for things that have become rusted. I have painted many rusted item since learning about it, once treated they do not rust again. It is Pettit Rust Loc, it is a bright silver and does not need to be painted over, IMO I would use it on any iron stuff that you intent to keep perfect.

Phil

guy with the red donzi
11-26-2013, 06:52 PM
I'll have to look into por15, I'm not sure if I really want to get involved with imron. And I'll have to definitley look into that metal primer. Thanks

Tidbart
11-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Just a thought,

Check out KBS Coatings. http://www.kbs-coatings.com/ They have paint kits for engines.

They make coatings for tons of stuff. Have used some of their products over the years and they are good quality.

Personally, I wouldn't be using high end, expensive paint on an engine.

B

gcarter
11-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Personally, I wouldn't be using high end, expensive paint on an engine.

B

Unless, of course, you're using it for every other piece of metal in sight.
I'm using BASF R-M UNO-HD single stage paint for all my painted hardware.
And at this point, I wish I'd painted the deck with it too.