PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Question

Greg Guimond
11-16-2013, 09:08 AM
A while back I hit something submerged with my 16 Baby. Long story short is The Mule has been at the Mercury Dr getting looked at and the prognosis was bad. The Sportmaster lower unit grenaded completely :(
On top of that I run a 15" SS so lowers are tougher to come by. I got a price on a new 2.5L SS Sportmaster with factory torque tab, blowout ring, and the new fat shaft (which I don't even want)and almost had a heart attack....... $7,045.05! Now my question is will my insurance company be obligated to cover that or will they tell me to find a used one? I have never made a claim on the boats and they are not happy with my after I put a $70k claim for our garage that got crushed by Super Storm Sandy last year.

Anyone have experience or comments on this?

BUIZILLA
11-16-2013, 09:16 AM
I have a 1999-2000 COMPLETE LESS THAN 55 HR 225PM in the factory crate we'll sell... ran 97 on the bass boat it was on the day it was removed.. $7200 plus the ride, absolutely perfect

Greg Guimond
11-16-2013, 10:38 AM
55 Hours - salt or freshwater?
Lower Unit - Sportmaster or Torquemaster and what size shaft?
Cowl - Alien style or Four Bungee?
Mid - 20" or 15"?

Post a picture of the foil ID tag on the clamp bracket

Greg Guimond
11-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Anyone have experience on the insurance process?

Carl C
11-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Anyone have experience on the insurance process?

My mechanic said that it is very hard to get drive damage covered. They will be looking for proof that there really was a strike, like damage to the hull, prop, front of lower case, etc. Many of these drive claims are really mechanical failures and insurance is a lot different than it used to be.

Conquistador_del_mar
11-16-2013, 12:09 PM
My mechanic said that it is very hard to get drive damage covered. They will be looking for proof that there really was a strike, like damage to the hull, prop, front of lower case, etc. Many of these drive claims are really mechanical failures and insurance is a lot different than it used to be.

This is also what my mechanic friend told me recently. I think a lot depends on finding a mechanic who will make your case with the insurance adjuster. My mechanic friend can usually educate the adjuster on what happened and why.

Greg Guimond
11-16-2013, 01:03 PM
The damage to the lower units skeg is shown in the picture below.

Conquistador_del_mar
11-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Greg,
I am thinking an adjuster would be looking for reasons why the gears let go - like seeing the prop damage. Skeg damage can be repaired so that would probably not make a good argument. Just thinking out loud here.

Greg Guimond
11-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Good point Bill. I have to go dig up the prop and take photos of it. Ironically, it was a Turbo Fusion 4 that got trashed. That is why I bought yours. The Fusions are one heavy well made prop, the impact bent it but not as much as I would have thought.

Greg Guimond
11-19-2013, 11:44 AM
I have the estimate in front of my insurance company as of today. I guess this is where you find out how good your coverage plan is :crossfing:

Carl C
11-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Hopefully not Progressive...