PDA

View Full Version : 69 Ski Sporter

woobs
11-13-2013, 05:03 PM
78202Okay, So I bought Seano's unfinished 1969 Ski Sporter project...

I am looking to find out any information on this boat that I can so.....

The number from the registration is : DN645218

If the keepers of the records may bestow any knowledge of this boat it would be appreciated.

Cheers, Sean C

mattyboy
11-13-2013, 06:56 PM
the number you posted doesn't mean much most likely a dmv number. a 69 would not have a HIN and the hull number would be on a foil tag in the back seat area or written on the deck. check the bow eye backing block too.
do you have any other info or serial numbers from drives motors or previous owners?? original colors?

they made around 60 boats during 1969 well into the 500's as far as hull numbers were concerned

good luck with the project

woobs
11-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks Matt.
782097820878207I'm picking up the boat this coming weekend.
AFAIK the original colour is blue (Hull and Deck)
p/o has disassembled the boat, cleaned out the hull and re cored the deck. I do not know what he found if anything.

Seano has had this boat for a while and it may have been a project when he acquired it also.

mattyboy
11-14-2013, 06:17 AM
not a 69

would be a a 66 or earlier

looks like a true spin up eaton cut out and no cut outs for clamshell vents and the rear vent was on the back deck lip above the transom

woobs
11-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Thanks Matt...
I'll look for any evidence I can find when she gets home.
Might have to do some detective work through "ownerships" and other means.

I'm thinking it is a tall order to positively identify this hull......

mattyboy
11-14-2013, 08:54 AM
yes some of the early ones never had and numbers to begin with. this hull is before the foil tags too so never finding a number is a strong possibilty.

CHACHI
11-14-2013, 09:50 AM
woobs, glad to see it went to someone on the board.

Looking forward to the pictures of the restoration.

Ken

woobs
11-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Looks like this boat is a LEGACY...Seano before me and Kurt before him. Found on a scrap pile in Conneticut I believe, a decade ago (apparently it had an outboard on it at some time too)

Got the 16 home late Saturday night. A 2,400 km trip in 2 days. Nice.

Thinkin' this boat is real early (64-66 ?) But originally (and still) Christina Blue. Matty do the records list by colour? Maybe we could narrow down the possibilities by colour then, subtract any known boats.

If I can find some provinance it may mean a more "original" style restoration.

Greg Guimond
11-18-2013, 06:31 AM
Nice work woobs, good to see another one saved :yes:

woobs
11-18-2013, 07:19 AM
Thanks Greg,

I will most likeley following much of your lead. (except the eggbeater thing....)

mattyboy
11-18-2013, 07:27 AM
I thought that was the boat there are pics somewhere of it sitting on a rubbish pile with a big johnrude on the back yes somewhere in the northeast.

some things to keep in mind

the real early boats were all white with colored stripes, solid color hulls are seen in 65

records are very limited on the early years and really don't start until late 66 early 67

if the original fuel tank is around it may give you a build time frame

bob in covington a member here has a spin up true eaton his is a solid grumble green hull and deck with a white stripe also an early 16.

the spin up eaton had some issues dealing with v8 power in late 66 early 67 the volvo aq200 is put behind the v8 with an eaton name badge the aq200 is a much better design and much stronger. just say n20 ,jay lurie's and my old 16 all are built spring of 67 all came with the eaton badged aq200 hulls 409,420,and 410 respectively.

I can check but without any serial numbers to cross reference it is tough to nail down. I would think this hull is before the accurate records.

woobs
11-18-2013, 07:53 AM
78217Thanks Matt,

Seano told me this is the 'JohnRude" rubbish pile boat...I'd like to see that picture.

There is no doubt that a lack of numbers complicates this task immensely. I appreciate your help to narrow it down based on what we do know and reason. I think it's worth some dective work.

So, if colour hulls are '65> and Eaton drive <'67 we should have a '65 or '66.
If Late '66 records do not show this boat, we are at '65 to mid/late '66. (pre re-badged Volvo)

How many Ski Sporters were made in '65-'66? How many Christina blue (or do we know)?
When you say "accurate records" do you mean there are no records or, incomplete/sketchy records?

The original fuel tank is still there. What feature(s) woud date/identify it?

Matt, I really appreciate your help with all this.

mattyboy
11-18-2013, 11:44 AM
that pic is somewhere on this site all blue boat in the middle of the pile looked like a james bond stunt gone bad

if the tank has any sticker or label on production date.my 16 had a fabco tank labeled nov of 66 and the boat was built in april of 67 so the tank would give you a general time frame

records are limited in the early days we do have so one of a kind sales documentation on certain boats

production numbers are said to have been inflated a tad when Don sold the company to teleflex, I have not been able to nail down how inflated .

64 production starts

65 mid 100's for hull numbers

april 67 hulls 409 thru 420 roll out the door

so they were going gang busters 400+ hulls in 3 years

woobs
11-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Thanks again Matt.

mattyboy
11-18-2013, 04:59 PM
this boat was all blue no stripes correct?

woobs
11-18-2013, 05:01 PM
All blue, no boot stripe....white deck stripe.

I found an old post in the archives where Roy Farmer (from Donzi) in a conversation with a member here (Roger) said if it is an Eaton it is within the first 100 boats. Dunno if that bears out?

mattyboy
11-18-2013, 05:43 PM
so far only two in that color combo a 67 and a 69 both volvo boats

but there are others

some other info

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?38255-First-Donzi-ever-built

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?69419-1964-Donzi-16-Rare-Eaton-Outdrive&p=645693#post645693

Greg Guimond
11-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Let the forensics begin. I wish you better luck than I have had with Gerry Walin's 16 lol

woobs
11-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the old thread link...I have been browsing the archives all day :) There is lots of bits and pieces there.

With no clamshells it would seem earlier than a 67 ?
for 66 model list only 110 Volvo listed?
It has the "HVAC" vent under the bench
Clear light in stern vent

So for options we know:

Blue w/white deck stripe
no boot stripe
Full cockpit rail in Aluminum
Eaton drive
v8
no power trim
speedometer
cockpit cover

mattyboy
11-18-2013, 06:41 PM
some other things that might help

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pdfs/16ident.pdf

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pages/skisporter.asp

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pdfs/skisportlit.pdf

badbird
11-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Hey Sean....congrats on your new project...how did everything go at the boarder ?

Will you be using that new rub rail that you had for sale, on your new toy ?

cheers :canada:

woobs
11-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks. I took down a Canadian Trailer (I bought in Fenlon falls last Thursday) and the crossing was tremendously simplified. easy actually.

Not sure about the rub rail...we'll have to see what direction this is going.

Saw you put your boat away early...Almost first in the garage!

badbird
11-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Thanks. I took down a Canadian Trailer (I bought in Fenlon falls last Thursday) and the crossing was tremendously simplified. easy actually.

Not sure about the rub rail...we'll have to see what direction this is going.

Saw you put your boat away early...Almost first in the garage!

Good move with the trailer.....mine has been away for a month now....good spot at the back....do you have yours there too?
If you don;t use the rub rail let me know...thanks

woobs
11-18-2013, 10:07 PM
The Greavette is in around the middle...I just tucked it in a week ago as I had some warranty work done (by SEI) and had to send parts to Florida and get them back before I put the boat away. All good now. The new project is going to a barn in Mt. Albert.

Do you need some rub rail? I ordered new stuff from the USA for my Greavette and it was HUGELY expensive to send it up. However, West Marine was somewhat more reasonable. The NOS stuff I have for the Donzi I got from a .net board member in Toronto. I'll see if I can dig through my stuff and find the contact info if you want.

mattyboy
11-19-2013, 06:39 AM
you do see many early boats with the dark color carried onto the deck all grumble green or christina blue or lucan red with a white stripe but by the 67-68 you see the white decks more often with the hull color carried into just the stripes. so an all green red or blue hull with a white deck and matching stripes. I bet by 67-68 the dark gel decked boats were showing some uv effects. then in 69ish you start to see what we now call the classic color combo white bottom dark color sides white deck dark color stripe. then they painted them and the dark colors came back to the deck ( the shelby)

not sure what your plans are but this is just me on an all solid color hull all white blue green orange yellow black it needs a waterline stripe it just sets off the classics lines of the design a two tone hull color over a white bottom doesn't really need the water line stripe the contrasting colors seem to show off the lines

woobs
11-19-2013, 08:01 AM
At this point, I'm not sure which direction I will go.

My original purpose to buy this boat was as a learning project. Someday I want a 20'-24' big water boat in fiberglass hull/wood deck configuration and I know I'll need to build it myself. The inital cost of this hull was low enough that I can learn how work with fiberglass, strengthen the hull and engineer a deck without too big a financial risk. A 16 fits in my garage and is a good performing boat when finished. As they made so many of these boats, modifying this boat is not a risk to posterity. A perfect "test mule".

Option 1: Replace the deck with a wooden one, and convert to a benchseat similar to a Muskoka "Gentlemans racer" as per original plan. (4.3/sbf/sbc/?)/alpha

Option 2: If I could nail down the build info/history on it, go back to a factory stock configuration as much as possible.

Option 3: If I found that this boat was "semi-precious"...meaning I can narrow down the provinenance but not attach any meaningful (read value) history; I might keep the factory deck and do a SBF/alpha (or volvo) with a white deck/blue stripe.

Option 3a: As option 3 but, in a 2+3 configuration

Option 3b: is as option 3 but, in a benchseat configuration and "hot rod" (4.3/sbf/sbc/?)/alpha.

I was pretty sure what I wanted....but, now I have touched the boat I'm thinking things through and will start work on the "common" areas of all the options (ie. transom and stringers) until I have it figured out or fate does it for me.

woobs
11-22-2013, 10:48 PM
so far only two in that color combo a 67 and a 69 both volvo boats

Mattyboy, Bertram Boy figures the PVC engine Hatch was an early 1967 trait....78255
Is it possible the 1967 hull you found in this colour was not a Volvo?

Just Say N20
11-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Woobs,

Matty's 16, Jay's and mine are all within 11 boats of each other. On mine, the PVC under the deck and engine hatch runs side to side.

Mine has the engine vent below the rear portion of the lounge.

mattyboy
11-23-2013, 08:23 AM
The unique deck construction used on the "67" doesn't appear anywhere on this deck they used no coring and solid pvc piping glassed to the deck running port to starboard. the pipes added to your hatch look to be added over coring ripped in half and run bow to stern. Plus the lack of clamshell vents ( should be two on a 67) and the presence of the transom lip vent on yours a 67 would not have multiple holes there.

We have seen this construction on early hulls in 67 I think this is why we see I high survival rate on these my old one, magicbill's, justsayn20, jays, patricks but sometime after they went back to coring using a better method so rot would not spread in the older method.

It looks like an eaton cut out to me could anyone confirm this?? could this possibly be a cutout for a mercruiser 160?? looking closer not at just numbers they did make a 67 in your color combo with a 160 mercruiser I/O one of the merc guys will need to confirm the cutout.

mattyboy
11-23-2013, 08:35 AM
judging from the gimbal on the 160 it doesn't look like it would be a round cutout

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercruiser-sterndrive-parts/160-19671969/2065190-thru-2763441/gimbal-housing-assembly-and-exhaust-elbow

jl1962
11-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Hmmmm....

Not a '67 IMO - no clam shell vents and no PVC tubes (mine look just like Bill's)

Is that rear seat cutout original or perhaps added later?

I've got the lower HVAC vent, but no seat cutout.

I'm guessing earlier than 67 although I can't account for the seat cutout.

The through holes seem to be wider than on my Volvo boat too.

Love the solid hull/deck color - btw

woobs
11-23-2013, 09:00 AM
I agree it looks like an Eaton cut out. It definately did not have port-stbd pvc like those pics. Maybe the hatch pvc was an early repair or an expiriment?
My boat also has the (HVAC) engine vent below the rear part of the lounge. I think the seat cut out was done later.

Bertram Boy also posted this today in response to my question about the appearance of clamshell vents...
I was told "by Brownie" that the first 25 sixteen ski-sporters had Eaton drives. And the first 40 had no clam shell vents.

Now I don't know what to think... first 40 hulls = 1964? I
thought we narrowed it down to 65 or early 66...with the PVC maybe early 67????

Man this is a head scratcher. I'm sure lots of stuff happened in the factory. The fact that a baby 14 was made, kept, and never rigged is testament to factory proceedures that may have changed at any time (probably the plant production manager's decisions). Boats could have been pulled out of assembly or shoved in a corner, used for new construction proceedures or spec'd to use up old existing parts....And who knows how accurate the records were kept (the ones that were kept)?

mattyboy
11-23-2013, 09:24 AM
usually full cutouts in the rear seat area were put there to get to the front of the motor the hvac vent is there until about sometime in 68

hull 136 and 275 have true eaton drives hull 136 is july of 65 and 275 sometime in 66

hull 136 has two clamshells not sure if they were added they are all the way back not upfront like mine or jays 67 ??

Sean
that was a common thought in the past hulls laying around it has been shown that it is not really true they were pushing 16 and 18's out like hotcakes. the fact that older boats like both of mine that are registered and titled as a newer model is more the difference in state to state requirements for DMV. they were given the year model in the year they were registered or sold. Even boats that were brought back on consignment were turned around and sold very quickly.

the 14 that were unrigged were given to Don as a parting gift and were taken off the donzi lot to follow Don around 188th st. by 68 the factory must have looked like a herd of cats trying to bury s#it on a marble floor.

Greg Guimond
11-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Now I don't know what to think... first 40 hulls = 1964? thought we narrowed it down to 65 or early 66...with the PVC maybe early 67???? Man this is a head scratcher.

Half the fun is putting the historical puzzle pieces together on these old 16's .......... :tongue:

woobs
11-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Half the fun is putting the historical puzzle pieces together on these old 16's .......... :tongue:

Greg, I agree wholeheartedly. I have no problem, in fact I enjoy, trying to sift through history. I would have no problem spending whatever time it takes to sift through all the records and build a timeline....Even if my boat WAS not recorded.

However, I feel like a pest as I must rely on the generosity of others time to help out. Much of the info and small details are in the posts of the "two" websites. This may give insight but is not conclusive by any means. I've been browsing these old posts for a while and they are grea. But, you still can't get past the fact that the BEST resource is the Members in this community, their experience and their contacts. I appreciate all their help and do not want to overstay my welcome.

Greg Guimond
11-23-2013, 01:02 PM
To the contrary Sean, I would think that anyone who can help you would happily do so. It is in the Donzi community DNA for sure, and it preserves history. :yes:

jl1962
11-23-2013, 01:05 PM
I LOVE these threads.
Especially if I don't have to do the work!

And keep the L-seat IMO
(of course you have to put up w/ everyone else's opinion......:wink:)

Greg Guimond
11-23-2013, 01:13 PM
I say convert it to a Bench Seat island Hopper. But as Jay said, we all have our opinions!

jl1962
11-23-2013, 01:25 PM
I say convert it to a Bench Seat island Hopper. But as Jay said, we all have our opinions!

Hah - If my boat went as fast as Greg's boat, I'd have stand-up bolsters!
:worthy:

Greg Guimond
11-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Fast until I hit a submerged object!

More tidbits for woobs .........

During Don's racing excursions into Europe in 63 and 64 he came to feel that his boats had to have an "international flavor" if they were going to capture the world market. Almost all of the Donzi 16's produced beginning in 1964 were produced with the flags of two countries decaled either next to or below the DONZI insignia. One flag was always that of America. The other flag of choice became the British flag or the flag of one of the Scandinavian countries, i.e., Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, etc. To the best of my recollection, the lion was derived from Finland's Coat of Arms.

woobs
11-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Greg,
Is this a 19' bench Hornet you posted..... I love this boat!
Think smaller... oh, maybe 16'7" :)

Greg Guimond
11-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Yes, the picture you have inserted into your post above woobs of the hull with the windshield is a 19' Bench Hornet. The larger picture is of a Bench 16 :cool!:

mattyboy
11-23-2013, 04:09 PM
always good to try an solve a mystery but one must be willing to except some mysteries will never be solved. help wherever and whenever I can, it's what it is all about.

My bench was originally an all Christina blue hull with no water line stripe but it had a white deck and blue stripe they painted it white and masked off the original gel to create the waterline stripe. your setup reminds me of a CCxk19 on my lake all blue white stripe white interior

woobs
11-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Yes the XK19 is an iconic boat...even readily accepted by the "woody" crowd because it is a CC. Not too hard to look at either.

I have settled with myself that this boat may never be positively identified by a single hull number. (you still have to HOPE though). In this light It must be possible to put the clues together to reduce the window of possibilities. Or, if you're a Star Trek fan (and who really isn't)... "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth".

As I understand it at this moment, due to the lack of clamshells this boat is probably within the first 50-ish or so Ski Sporters. Given that most of the early boats were white I'm going to surmise it would be closer to the end of this run and made in 1965.

The factory was producing about 7 Ski Sporters a month at this time (Hull #136= 7/65, Hull #226=8/66... 13 months- 90 hulls). However the following 8 months averaged 23 per month. (Hull #409= 4/67... 8 months-183 hulls). Given the increasing production due to ramping up, increasing sales and potentially some inflated production dates; I looks like the factory produced an average of 13 Ski Sporters per month between 1964 and 1967.

If accurate records only were kept from mid 1965, and using average production numbers (fudge factor adjusted) a January 1965 hull could range from around hull#55 to hull #75). This could place my hull somewhere between a Nov 1964 -Jan 1965 build date. (I'll check the fuel tank for proof when I get it out next spring). Still with no records, no numbers and a recored deck the confirmation may be loooooong gone.

In my mind This time period seems to be consistent with the boat as equipped. This is also the time that solid colour hulls were introduced.

Does this sound right/plausible ?
(The funky "bow-stern" pvc hatch is still a bit of a mystery.)

Ghost
11-23-2013, 08:05 PM
"Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Sidebar: I think that's Arthur Conan Doyle.

woobs
11-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Sidebar: I think that's Arthur Conan Doyle.

It may well and truly be....but I remember it because Mr. Spock quoted it. :)

Ghost
11-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Lol, with you my brother, just recollection. :)

mattyboy
11-25-2013, 08:11 AM
we may never know with the possibility that the numbers were inflated and how far they were inflated for the sale to teleflex. adding a boat here or there is no real biggie but adding a digit in front or behind the total production numbers may be hard to hide in the bottom line.

There are a couple of 66 16s in the registry here with no clamshells then there are even earlier boats that have 4 like the new boats add-ons I would think.

the tank may be your best lead to the general production time.

woobs
11-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Matty,
I spent all weekend reading old posts under the Ski Sporter" search function (on both sites). To this end I have made two realizations (well, truthfully more but, two top of mind).

1) It seems anyone that comes in contact with an old SS16 asks the same questions... and YOU seem to unwaveringly answer them with the voice of passion and experience. Thank you for that. :)

2) I feel so stupid for asking the same questions that are chronicled in these posts over, and over and over again. What a great resource that "search" function is. :)

mattyboy
11-25-2013, 10:21 AM
the only stupid question is the one not asked. as you can tell the search function can be a little overwhelming and can be a daunting task.

A lot of the info I had back then on my 16 has turned out to be false and we know so much more now then we did then. so asking those types of questions just helps us all get to the facts.

it is great to see links to old threads from new threads it sort of wraps in all up in one package.

it is always great to help someone out along they way on their donzi quest

woobs
11-25-2013, 11:34 AM
In the context of production numbers and the sale to Teleflex...

Do we know when in 1966 the deal was consumated? Is there any record of when Aronow started negotiations for sale? Analysis of the production numbers by model (before, during and after) may lead to a more realistic production schedule. (figure out the fudge)

Do you really think "fictional" production was added? Or could it have just been numbers "pulled forward". I understand that a capible production line is a good selling point however, gpu (gross profit/unit) lends to the viability of the business and I'm sure Teleflex would have been looking at this. Is there ANY specific production data prior to the Teleflex purchase?

mattyboy
11-25-2013, 05:55 PM
I have copies of correspondence from Donzi from nov of 65 signed by John N C Chisholm that would indicate the Teleflex deal was completed by that time.

Brownie had mentioned the "inflated" numbers not sure if it was across the board or if it was a staged dog and pony show on one boat in production that they showed to Teleflex during a tour of the factory.

Not sure if the sale was strictly done on financials or more of a let's get in on what is hot, and at that time nothing was hotter in the powerbopat scene that Don and Donzi.

woobs
11-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Okay then, If we take a known data point (hull number + date) or two from each available month, we can extrapolate the number of hulls per month for each month data was available. Plot this on a graph over the known time period and see what the anomolies are.

This should give s a good idea of what actual production was or even IF there was a significant "fudge factor" built in by Don. Once we have this we can estimate fairly well when a specific hull was produced even without it's records.

...or am I way out of line ???? :)

mattyboy
11-26-2013, 11:32 AM
there are some variables

actual production start

what other models were being built at the time on 188th st

stated delivery time

cure time

number of molds

manpower

so just some quick math

Brownie in nov of 64 brings the first production 16 to the jax show nov of 67 hull 465 is completed

36 months 465 hulls that is just a fraction under 13 hulls a month. a tad more than 3 hulls a week that would keep 3 molds pretty full all the time. that would mean in july of 65 when hull 136 is delivered going by the average they should be at hull 104 .

woobs
11-26-2013, 12:27 PM
That's why you have to plot the graph. It may not be linear and the variables will include:

1) ramp-up. As the workers become more familiar with a new shop, routines and process' they become more efficient and the entire process moves more quickly.

2) growth. Obviously the marque became popular quickly but, how soon did they get more molds in service? How did they stay ahead of a growing demand. Operations would have changed as production rose. New dealers would want units asap. Additional employees increase productivity but, also need to be trained.

3) sales. As in every other business seasonality makes its mark.Still a greater demand in winter/spring than fall. I don't think you can assume flat-out production for the entire period. I'm sure they were at production capacity in 64 through mid 65 but they would have had to back off at some point.

With single data points in a month we also don't know at which point in the month the data points is from. ie hull 136 in July 65 but was it made on the 2nd? or the 30th? Comparing 2 points from either end of their production months could skew the average +/- 2 months.

As long as we stay with apples (say start date) we dont need to worry about cure or delivery dates as this is just a different part of the cycle. The graph will show the ebb and flow of production that makes the estimation more accurate.

mattyboy
11-26-2013, 01:25 PM
from the other thread first 16 built by Tomron""""

Raritan, You’re boat is a 1965, built and delivered in July 1965 according to my notes.

Hull number 16-55 is ordered March 24, 1965 and delivered April 21, 1965. This boat is white with a blue stripe and midnight blue trim, tinted windshield. Ford Interceptor 165 HP, Engine # GT90L5244626 (this is a Ford 260, same as Mustang 1964 ½ ) Eaton drive # 33093CA16L47.
Sold to: Ohio Valley Yacht Sales, Louisville, Kentucky
Delivered to: Picked up by dealer at Donzi plant in Miami Beach (this boat went to KY)
First Owner: Frank B. Thompson, Jr. Louisville, KY

Hull number 16-136 is ordered July 6, 1965 and delivered July 21, 1965. Order # 199.
This boat is white with a red stripe and red trim, tinted windshield. Ford Interceptor 165 HP, Engine # GT90L526036 (this is a Ford 260, same as Mustang 1964 ½ ) Eaton drive # 34008CA16L47.
Delivered to: Raymond’s Marine. Jeffersonville, Indiana.
First Owner: S. Paul Jones. Louisville, KY
Second Owner: Me

Hull number 16-145 is ordered July 6, 1965 and delivered July 21, 1965. Order # 198.
This boat is white with a green stripe and green trim, tinted windshield. Ford Interceptor 165 HP, Engine # GT90L526031 (this is a Ford 260, same as Mustang 1964 ½ ) Eaton drive # 33998CA16L47.
First Owner: ??? Louisville, KY

Best regards
Thomas :sweden:

stated delivery on a 16 was 4 weeks 19 footers were 12 weeks.

so do we think it is possible that hull 55 was delivered on april 21 then 3 months later and 90 hulls later hull 145 gets delivered?

all this and don't forget hornet st tropez and 18 production all going on at the same time

"

woobs
11-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Hmmmm.

No question that 30 hulls a month would be a 'Herculean" effort. Rspecially in light of the other models being produced concurrently.

As in auto production, order numbers do not always follow production (serial) numbers. It is possible that confirmed or sold orders may have be completed with greater priority than "stock" orders for dealers. I never saw the factory layout but I would wager even if they worked as an assembly line, some hulls would have priority. This would have been regulated by a Production Manager or Shop Forman of some sort.

When I worked for Mazda I used to visit the plant in Flat Rock MI and can guarantee that the VINs never came off in order. I found the same thing when reasearching my early 911. Porsche "assembly line" was far from what one may thing of an assembly line. I can only Imagine Donzi was no different.

Still, it would be an interesting exercise to analyse the production based on the info we have . It might explain a good many things.

Don't worry Matty I'm not trying to make work for you (I'm sure you have enough).

mattyboy
11-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Woobs

I think that post is key that would be the time frame that a fudge would take place

woobs
11-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Woobs

I think that post is key that would be the time frame that a fudge would take place

I think you are right. looks like double....

mattyboy
11-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Woobs

yes I am sure certain boats were pushed thru 136 and 145 were ordered and delivered in two weeks not one but two boats. I would think that by summer of 65 Teleflex was wooing Don and it might be the spot to put on a show

mattyboy
11-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Woobs

with Greg's OB thread and this thread I am re checking and re-reading all the info I have

If you have Michael's Book King of Thunderboat row he mentions some productions numbers and special orders

The Israeli Army order 12 16s for unmanned armed drones

he says from Jan of 65 to April of 65 they made 80 16s and none went unsold. so may be no inflation was needed

I'll keep checking

Greg Guimond
11-20-2018, 12:22 PM
from the other thread first 16 built by Tomron""""

Raritan, You’re boat is a 1965, built and delivered in July 1965 according to my notes.

Hull number 16-55 is ordered March 24, 1965 and delivered April 21, 1965. This boat is white with a blue stripe and midnight blue trim, tinted windshield. Ford Interceptor 165 HP, Engine # GT90L5244626 (this is a Ford 260, same as Mustang 1964 ½ ) Eaton drive # 33093CA16L47.
Delivered to: Picked up by dealer at Donzi plant in Miami Beach (this boat went to KY)
First Owner: Frank B. Thompson, Jr. Louisville, KY

Hull number 16-136 is ordered July 6, 1965 and delivered July 21, 1965. Order # 199.
This boat is white with a red stripe and red trim, tinted windshield. Ford Interceptor 165 HP, Engine # GT90L526036 (this is a Ford 260, same as Mustang 1964 ½ ) Eaton drive # 34008CA16L47.
First Owner: S. Paul Jones. Louisville, KY
Second Owner: Me

Hull number 16-145 is ordered July 6, 1965 and delivered July 21, 1965. Order # 198.
This boat is white with a green stripe and green trim, tinted windshield. Ford Interceptor 165 HP, Engine # GT90L526031 (this is a Ford 260, same as Mustang 1964 ½ ) Eaton drive # 33998CA16L47.
First Owner: ??? Louisville, KY

Best regards
Thomas :sweden:

stated delivery on a 16 was 4 weeks 19 footers were 12 weeks.

so do we think it is possible that hull 55 was delivered on april 21 then 3 months later and 90 hulls later hull 145 gets delivered?

all this and don't forget hornet st tropez and 18 production all going on at the same time

"

Tomron where did you go lol