PDA

View Full Version : How Hard Is It To Rebuild Zeiger Steering Ram?

Carl C
11-05-2013, 08:25 AM
I've been getting air in my steering system for a few years now. Most of it seems to come out the back of the starboard ram when I bleed it. It looks like it might be getting water in there too now or it could have just been aerated fluid. I'd like to look inside the ram for damaged seals and seal the fittings with teflon tape. This problem has been a mystery for a long time. Right now there is about two inches of play in the system. The Latham reservoir did not help.

gcarter
11-05-2013, 12:54 PM
These cylinders are generally very easy to rebuild.
A kit of soft parts should be between $40.00 and $100.00 per cylinder.
Call them and order a procedure along w/the parts.
The hardest thing might be to un-screw the stuffing box (rod) end.
Oh yeah, it's real messy and it must be kept very clean.

Carl C
11-05-2013, 02:54 PM
I was thinking more of just taking it apart to inspect and if everything looks fine then assume that this is not my problem and put it back together. Now that I think about it though I don't know how air could get in there since this is submerged while running. :banghead:

MOP
11-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Submerged when running! Only when you are going slow, up at speed is when they get a work out. They are simple to rebuild not saying they actually need it, that is your coin to flip! You mention Teflon tape, don't forget rule #1 always leave 1-1/2 threads exposed to avoid any bits and pieces getting into the assembly. Carl more than likely you already know that, but some are not aware the aggravation a tiny shard can cause.

Phil

Carl C
11-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks Phil. Yes, I'm aware of the teflon tape thing. Right now just near tears over having just read that Scot has passed.

gcarter
11-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Carl, I wouldn't tear it down w/out installing at least a new gland seal where the rod emerges. Even if it's not leaking now, it'll likely start when you re-assemble.