PDA

View Full Version : Really need help - Transom Jig problem.

AGUESS
07-31-2001, 08:49 PM
Hi Everyone. Here is my problem.

Bought a 98 Volvo SX Drive. Need to cut the transom. Cliff was kind enought to send me his volvo jig ( acquired through Gene D), but it is for an older drive style.

I tried to buy a paper transom jig from Volvo, but my Volvo dealer was told they no longer sell them. I don't understand this.

I have made a jig out of plywood. Used cardboard to make template and transfered to plywood. To be honest, I am scared. If I cut the transom wrong, I have to start over again and I don't want to rebuild this thing again.

Questions.

1. Do you know if an older Merc template will match a volvo sx transom shield? I have also been unable to get a OMC template.

2. If I am off a little bit - 1/4 inch to side or top/bottom, how much trouble am I in.

3. Stromer gave me his X dim at 14 5/8". He has same drive, but Chev 5.7 (350 csi). I have a Ford 5.8 (351 csi). Can I just go with this X dim?

4. What are other Clasic 18 X Dim set at.
5. What if I go down 1/2 to 1" to be safe?"

Summer is running out and I want to get in the water. As always thanks for your help.

Started this restoration in June 00, and I am tired.

Alex. :confused:

Moody Blu'
07-31-2001, 10:03 PM
listen, dont rush the restoration.
here this should help you, as long as you have cash all you need is this. http://www.bravodrives.com/plates.html
let me know how your project comes out I want to switch my drive for MORE SPEED.
I hope that url helps you, all you need to do is bolt it in.