PDA

View Full Version : Lifting A Boat Off The Trailer

Greg Guimond
11-03-2013, 05:55 PM
I have too much stuff and what I do have is getting long in the tooth to say the least. The trailer under my boat is a 1987 Competition steel and amazingly it has hung in although not much to look at. Last weekend I noticed at the ramp that the anchor points where the leaf springs connect have rusted through and the springs where resting on the frame itself! I need a couple of band aids on left and right to keep the trailer going and I'm sure that the rims aint coming off as the lug nuts are probably welded to the studs given all the salt water use.

I had to figure a way to get the hull off the trailer to get access. Today after the kids had sports I came up with a jury rig where we used a forklift with an extenda boom and canvas straps. Worked pretty good.

gcarter
11-03-2013, 07:24 PM
That'll work!

Somewhere, I posted a series of pictures of transferring the Minx onto dollies.
BTW, a good set of dollies have tremendous value and are amazingly useful.

Greg Guimond
11-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Those dollies would have been awfully handy George. The hulls rear lifting rings did not even flex a hair and the lasso up front worked to grab the bow eye. I was however surprised that there was more weight at the dash area then I would have thought. I thought the bow would have just ratcheted right up.

f_inscreenname
11-03-2013, 10:34 PM
I have a simple gantry crane and the way I do it is, drop the nose of the trailer as low as possible, put jack stands under the transom of the boat, jack trailer back up until the transom is lifting off the trailer and then use the gantry to lift the bow of the boat just a little, lower and pull trailer out. If I'm keeping the boat off the trailer for longer then a simple repair I throw a couple blocks under the keel up by the bow and set it down. easy peasy.
But if I had your set up ... :)