PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help.

Wazzy
10-19-2013, 07:40 PM
I have a gill silent choice exhaust system on my 22 classic. This fall I thought I had a bad solenoid on one side, as one side would open and then the breaker would trip. After further inspection I notice this side can be opened and closed easily by hand and the other side was not moving at all and was likely the culprit tripping the breaker. This side cannot be opened or moved at all by hand, leading me to believe that the internal diverter and not the solenoid is the problem. Not sure how this could fail??? Has this ever happened to anyone before?? Is there an easy was to remove this diverter y from the boat to inspect it? I tried removing the hose clamps but it is tight with only short hoses attached with almost no movement. Would it be easier to remove the riser first to make room to pull the exhaust diverter? Sorry for all the questions I'm sure someone here can steer me in the right direction thanks

MOP
10-20-2013, 12:45 PM
If you have stock center riser manifolds you need to pull the riser, there is not enough room to get it off without the riser.

Phil

Wazzy
10-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks mop. I figured that pulling the riser would make the task easier. Do I need to order a gasket between manifold and riser, or do guys use a spray gasket material. These diverters seem simple and well made I'm still curious to see how they could possibly be stuck or damaged. If the solenoid fails do they jam or would they be loose. Would I be able to stroke it by hand if it was broken? Thinking it could still be the solenoid and not the diverter. Thanks again I will be back at the lake next weekend and I will start removing parts and see what I find.

gcarter
10-20-2013, 02:40 PM
I like to seal the tip flanges w/high temperature RTV or just a gasket so they can be removed easily. W/the tips off, the diverters can easily be removed by just moving them rearward.