PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Boat Storage for Winter

BOSTONCAMARO
10-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Ok, the last thing I want to do is store my Sweet 16 outdoors but we may have to this winter. Besides the typical winterizing what should I do?

Use cockpit cover and mooring cover? use only mooring cover? make a plywood / wood deck with foam edges to sit over passenger compartment, then cover? not sure what to do, I appreciate any advice.

Last year we bought a 'heavy duty' portable garage, it collapsed on boat in big storm, the barn is full of car projects so may just need to store outdoors.

thanks, Tim

mattyboy
10-08-2013, 08:30 AM
my 16 was small enough that I ran a line between the house and the garage drapped a good heavy tarp over the top of it formed a nice tent and kept the weight of the snow off the deck. spray the tarp with wd 40 any snow slides right off.

as far as the boat full cover if your cover is not vented some pool noodles half under the cover will do they do have to be the noodles with a hole in the middle.

I always use dryer fabric softener sheets the real cheap and smelly kinds that will keep critters away crumple them up and scatter thru out the boat. I also use some kind of moisture control they sell a bag that can hang in the boat I have also seen people use a 20 lb bag of charcoal in a bin just slit the bag open regular charcoal not match lite:kaioken:

it will absorb all the moisture in the boat.

yembo77
10-08-2013, 08:35 AM
I've done it 2 ways and the jury is out on which way I like better. The key is to create a peak or ridge so water can't belly, and so snow slides off. I bought saw horse hinges at Home Depot and made a giant 16 foot horse. The problem there is that you typically can't go to the ground with the legs of the horse and you end up having to put the legs in the boat and then make a triangle leg up front and put it on the deck. Even with protective padding, this can rub the deck. The other way is to build a good center pole and then tie it off in all 4 directions using ratchet tie downs. The key to that working is then, once your tarp is on, you need to keep it tight. The marinas use heat shrink and do it this way, but many people who use tarps take gallons of water to keep the tarp taut. In either scenario, keeping the tarp taut is key! Also, I wouldn't leave the custom covers on the boat. The cold air can dry rot the threads and age them prematurely. Store those in doors.

Or just go to the marina a pay $300 to have the boat shrink wrapped. lol

-M

BOSTONCAMARO
10-08-2013, 08:45 AM
thanks for the tips, I like the idea of a tent over the boat, with a sharp center roof line, we have the space, will be stored at my dads where there is a big yard

the full cover I have is vented...I will leave the cockpit cover off

mattyboy
10-08-2013, 08:46 AM
also let me ad in the NE we have had some storms that are hard on trees and limbs

so you want to find a spot to store her where there is some protection from falling stuff

I tuck the hornet up along side of the tallest part of the house so the house will take the hurt this will also protect it some from the wind

also scatter some moth balls around under the trailer that will keep out anyone /thing from using your setup as a home

BOSTONCAMARO
10-08-2013, 08:59 AM
I like the giant saw horse idea, probably going to work off that, yeah we will store next to barn to protect from wind

I will keep you guys posted, also any pics of tent ideas?

thanks

mattyboy
10-08-2013, 11:33 AM
I try to keep everything off the deck or boat has possible others things like windshields need to be accounted for I know the 16 doesn't have one but if you have one you don't want weight on it

With the hornet I remove everything that is not bolted down remove the seat and floor locker. I don't use a cover. I had a center pole that is screwed to doubles up 2x4s that rest on the stringers and comes thru the opening for the seat locker it is lashes to the front and back lift rings and the side cleats. This makes the tent and keeps weight off the windshield the stringers take the load not the deck seat or floor
The only thing I don't like on the saw horse is having lumber above the boat if it collapses it will do some damage and it it takes a hit and doesnt collapse it is supported by the deck it is going to transfer the hit to the deck