PDA

View Full Version : Why is there never talk of windage trays????

MOP
10-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Just about all of the performance engines I have built over the years I have installed windage trays. To me they are far more important in boat than in a road toy. In my drag cars I had them for the same reasons that everyone else had them, under hard acceleration the oil even with baffles gets splashed up into the crank which turns the oil into foam. Some say it causes some power lose, I aqm not sure if that holds true. Foamed oil does a lousy job of maintaining pressure, just think about the dance your oil does in a chop. You spend many dollars to get what you can speed wise, but most builds do not seem to include trays. They are damn cheap insurance!!!!!!!

Pat McPherson
10-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Hmmm...
It's been a few years but I recall my L-29 454 and my 502magmpi having them...
Maybe I'm confused with the tray under the intake...
The smallblocks in my 78 28' Cig and my 75 18' Donzi definately had them...

joseph m. hahnl
10-01-2013, 06:19 PM
I special ordered the ARP windage :propeller: Bolts to be installed in the Dart short block. A little bending:smash: here and there for the stroke and the stock tray fit nicley into a 4 quart oil pan. :D

johnnywhale
10-01-2013, 06:35 PM
I've got one in my SBC. Another ex drag guy.
Phil - you spend time at the Hamptons or National Speedway?

woobs
10-01-2013, 06:54 PM
I've got one in my 4.3.....

Tidbart
10-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Back to what Pat was saying,..... what is the tray under the intake called? I have one in my 502.

MOP
10-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Yep did a little running at Westhampton after I got out of the service, also did a few uo at Allentown PA. The majority of my racing was at field #5 at Eglin AFB, a few of the big names raced there when no one knew them. I held E gas for a couple of years until I switched from Jimmy sixes to SBC, I only did ok on airman's pay to many guys could out spend us fly boys. Don Garlits was one of several that came there he ran a crude pipe chassis, he was a real nice guy I dealt with a bit as I was on the tech committee. One of my finest memories was after a run at Westhampton I and a couple of friends stopped at a diner on Sunrise, as I walked down to a table there was this guy waving to come over. I nearly went into shock it was Garlits he was big time by then, he saw me at the track but was involved and did not call me over. He remembered me from Eglin. Which was about seven years prior, I got some kick out of that. He invited me to his museum, I did stop there a few years later only to find out he had just left for the day. End of story!

The tray under the intake is to keep the hot oil spiting off the lifters from heating up the intake.

Conquistador_del_mar
10-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Don Garlits was my hero on the strip back in the 70s.
I also run a windage tray in the 540 stroker in my Warlock.

joseph m. hahnl
10-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Back to what Pat was saying,..... what is the tray under the intake called? I have one in my 502. Most call it the intake oil baffle:wink:.

There is also an oil pan baffle:rolleyes: which goes inside the oil pan, AKA "Trap door" keeps the oil at the pick up. To use a windage tray several main bolts with stand offs are used to affix the tray below the rods . I'm not sure if you can combine the two:tooth:. Not sure if the trap door oil pan baffle prevents windage:confused:, but circle track cars use them. :biggrin: