PDA

View Full Version : U19 on Ebay in Arizona

W.Davis
09-25-2013, 08:36 PM
love the caption "Better than Donzi" Clearly this person has never owned one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-FOUR-WINNS-U19-ONLY-111-MADE-IN-2YRS-BETTER-THAN-DONZI-ONLY-1-IN-ARIZONA-/200967829761?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2eca9db901&item=200967829761&pt=Power_Motorboats

Offset
09-26-2013, 08:02 AM
I believe he is selling it to get a down payment on a Donzi. :)

Someone can correct me but was this boat model at one time recalled because of ill handling or something similar? Seem to recall Hot Boat made some very strong comments on this boat but time and a bad memory could be clouding things! :confused:

MOP
09-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Though I don't think it is a great boat we are not suppose to trash ads. Actually it belongs in the other boats section. As far as the handling issue you are spot on, but also remember the 22 Classic was also trashed by the same magazine. A performance boat should only be evaluated by someone with experience and gonads!

Just Say N20
09-26-2013, 09:43 AM
MOP is correct. While this ad was not posted by the owner of the boat, I still believe comments would best serve the community if they are constructive. I believe it is consistent with Harbormaster's vision for this site to have it be a place where people can go to find accurate information about Donzis, and insights into other similar boats.

When I read this ad, I was pleasantly surprised that it was one of the more accurate ads I have seen regarding the U-17/U-19 boats (his editorial comments not-withstanding).

In my opinion, stating that there were negative items written up about this boat is not trashing the ad. An industry publication tested this boat and had some concerns over it's handling, which it published in it's magazine. As MOP pointed out, I remember vividly the review of the Donzi 22 classic, where the handling was severely criticized, to the point they gave Donzi an opportunity to make modifications to the boat, and they then retested it.

Also, some interesting stuff in the background; racing go-kart, race boat stuff. . .

The ad text:

1996 FOUR WINNS U19 (ONLY 111 MADE IN 2YRS OF PRODUCTION) ONLY ONE IN ARIZONA!

SUPER FAST - LIGHTNING QUICK HOLE SHOTS - EXCELLENT FOR SKING - SUPER RELIABLE FUEL INJECTED 5.0 FORD 302 ROUSHE PACKAGE 275hp, ALMOST 70MPH SPEEDS!, STUFFED INTO A 19 FOOT HOTROD, LUXURY INTERIOR (NEAR PERFECT), PREMIUM POWER PACKAGE 5.8L 351 (ROUSH) INJECTED V8 AND PREMIUM VOLVO PENTA SX COBRA OUT DRIVE, CUSTOM RED FULL STORAGE & TRAVEL COVER - CUSTOM FOUR WINNS TRAILER + MORE - BEAUTIFUL TO LOOK AT FROM ANY ANGLE.

I have been obsessed with the Four Winns Unlimited series of boats since I first saw one at a dealer in 1995 or '96. This has been a rare and controversial boat since its inception. For a brief period in the mid-Nineties, Four Winns and Donzi operated underneath one corporate banner. Donzi of course is the legendary Florida brand that first marketed its Sweet 16 speedboat in The Sixties. For many years the company has been producing what they call the Classic line in 16-foot, 18-foot, and 22-foot lengths, and the series fits right in with Donzi's racy image. Four Winns has always been a Your Father's Oldsmobile sort of company. For the 1996 and '97 model years only, Four Winns produced a 17-foot and 19-foot pair of speedboats they called Unlimiteds. Clearly based on the Donzi hull design, but being quite different from the Donzis in detail, the U-17 and U-19 offered a style somewhat unique to themselves.

The 1996 models had all-white hulls with a single racing stripe down the center and matching wide stripes across the front and rear upholstery. All 1996 models used Ford engines with Volvo Penta outdrives. This one has the BIGGEST, the 275-hp, fuel-injected 351.

My obsession with the Unlimiteds stems from their individualistic features and creative marketing. The '96 models in particular are very pleasing to my eyes, more so than any of the Donzi Classics or the two-tone '97's, with their odd-shaped color-combination paired with very conventional two-tone seating. Twist that throttle in a straight line only! Without the snot-brand price quotient of a Donzi, the Unlimiteds were affordably priced, too.

Like the lovable Corvettes and Mustangs of the '60's, you had to option up any Unlimited to make it interesting or even comfortable. Carpet, Bimini top, cockpit cover, through-hull exhaust, swim platform with a boarding ladder, a very low, wind breaking, dark-tinted windshield, CD stereo, and even a stern boarding ladder were optional. Even the graphics package, cassette stereo, and aft fill-in cushions were additional options offered on the 1996 models. The '96 models were offered in navy, red, chianti, teal, forest green, and purple. The 1997 colors were limited to navy, red, and yellow. When you factor in the color and engine choices, you can easily see how extremely few identical Unlimiteds were produced. What a fascinating boat!

Email for dozens more photos...

Give me a Jingle any time 24/7 313.4143540.

Just Say N20
09-26-2013, 09:45 AM
More pictures.