PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tires and blow out forces

mphatc
09-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Thought I'd share a few pictures of what can happen when a trailer tire is old and just decides it's time to blow.
The pictures below were what we discoverd on a Monday morning in my shop. The boat on the trailer is my Magnum 27, admittedly the tires are ancient, but the trailer was standing on jackstands while working it, the tires needed to be inflated every time I moved the boat, they leaked badly! We guess that the tire pressure wasn't over 30 PSIG when it let go.
The fender is thick steel, these were strong enough to stand on and never sagged. The fender was "blown" up against he chine of the boat! Welds were torn!

Mario L.

Carl C
09-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Mine all did the same thing this spring. 3 out of 4 failed. 1 blew at 70 mph. No trailer damage though. It seems that trailer tires are more prone to belt separation. There is a thread on here about it. Now I'm rolling on new rubber at 52 psi.

woobs
09-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Tires disintegrate like that when they overheat from either too low pressure or overloading. With the leaks you mention, I would say the former applies here.

Trailer tires are not more prone to seperation... non maintained tires are.

mphatc
09-21-2013, 12:26 PM
These tires have been on the trailer close to 20 years probably not rolled more than around my yard in the last 20 years. This boat that sat in a field for 14 years before I acquired it. They were so bad when I had to move the boat over the road to use it about two years ago I used another set of wheels and tires.
So yes absolutely like you said not maintained at all!!!!! That a tire at such a low pressure cause such an extreme amount of damage starteled all of us.

Mario

MOP
09-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Hope it did not ding the chine!

seano
09-23-2013, 11:45 AM
is that even a trailer tire? Looks looks more like a radial off a car...