PDA

View Full Version : 100.7 MPH Swede 22 Classic

fysis
09-20-2013, 01:19 PM
Hello again Donzi friends over there. A little video over my and my sons 22 Classic and it´s development so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clQPWsgydrA Best regards Bjorn Carapi

Just Say N20
09-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Congratulations!

You are now quickly becoming THE leader for the Donzi 22 classic.

I am aware of only one faster one at this point, running an Ilmor V10 at 103.4.

Very nicely done video too. Thank you for sharing the link.

osur866
09-20-2013, 02:43 PM
X2
Nicely done, congrats!!

jl1962
09-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Great video and beautiful scenery.

I was fortunate enough to be in Sandhamn several years ago - spectacular!

Carl C
09-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Well done and more proof that these hulls can be run safely at these speeds with an experienced driver and proper set-up. :cool:

Greg Guimond
09-20-2013, 10:17 PM
fysis, triple digit dragon slayer :superman:

mattyboy
09-21-2013, 06:34 AM
Very nice. I was thinking the dimensions on the boat looked off like the sides were taller now I know why nice modifications it must feel more secure sitting lower in the boat. Especially at 100 mph

Nice work

Conquistador_del_mar
09-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Bjorn,
You have done some wonderful work to get a 22 to that speed realm. Great video, too. You are obviously very mechanically inclined - ;) Bill

pipnit
09-21-2013, 01:18 PM
very, very nice! You and your son have a special boat there for sure. Nicely done video with good explanation as well. :clap:

Pismo
09-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Like I have always maintained, you really do not need tabs in these boats at speed. Nice and steady with the little bennetts.

joseph m. hahnl
09-22-2013, 08:21 AM
:worthy: Look forward to the results with the extra ear:wavey:

:confused: Did you change the combustion chamber or the pistons to drop to the CR:rolleyes:

fysis
09-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Congratulations!

You are now quickly becoming THE leader for the Donzi 22 classic.

I am aware of only one faster one at this point, running an Ilmor V10 at 103.4.

Very nicely done video too. Thank you for sharing the link. Thank you for those kind words. I have that 103.4 GPS picture in a golden frame over my bed since long. I have great respect for Ted and his Ilmor boat . 103.4 is un impressive speed.

fysis
09-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Bjorn,
You have done some wonderful work to get a 22 to that speed realm. Great video, too. You are obviously very mechanically inclined - ;) Bill
Thank´s Bill . Put it this way. I was the guy who fell asleep reading "How to hotrod big block chevys" at 18 and since then it´s been quite a few Stingrays, Panteras and so forth with the famous BBC Detroit casting.

Ed Donnelly
09-22-2013, 02:32 PM
My kind of guy.. What year Panteras? .ed

HallJ
09-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Does anyone know if the inner strake lengths differ between years?
How about the Black Hawk?

Jeff

fysis
09-23-2013, 02:21 PM
My kind of guy.. What year Panteras? .ed The one in the picture is still the words fastest Pantera. 220 mph at Bonneville salt flats 2003. That car i built and used for street use many years in sweden and sat the swedish speed record with it.before i took it to the flats and became the first swede over 200MPH. The car was always 100% streetlegal. The weight was 2420 lbs. much fiberglass and aluminum to get the weight down .That engine i built around an Aluminum Keith Black BBC block 509 cu.in. The 220 at Bonneville was at the short 2mile track and is the average speed over one mile. Top speed was 230+ .Speed at quarter mile drag strip with street tires 152mph in third gear (out of five.) It´s a 1972 car.

Moody Blu'
09-23-2013, 07:41 PM
I posted on the donzi.org site, it seems you havent checked the identical thread over there yet so just in case. heres the post..

Very nice! I've been looking at the shelby interior and im thinking of cutting the sides out for more storage space(like the shelby) and then wrapping the cockpit with a high end vinyl with a custom embroidered icon. Your interior looks amazing and im glad I got to see one other then factory shelby setup, it shows how nice you can spruce up a cockpit without breaking the bank for a shelby(and getting more satisfaction out of it), throttle and donzi emblem(where original throttle was) looks super trick!

We have the same drive on our 22 (bravo x stock lower) and im glad to see it with the upgrades you have for it. I been eyeing up the imco 2" shorty since I just measured the center prop shaft to bottom of hull length a day ago.. How long have you spun your drive to 6000 rpm for? some people say its too high and Ive been planning on making the motor In mine a twin turbo 383 and ive been shooting for a cam that puts the torque numbers peak right at 5000 rpm.. but most of the cams ive been looking at dont reach their top horsepower numbers until 6800-7000 rpm, Im not as concerned with hitting the peak hp as torque will get the job done faster but it would be nice to be able to rev it a little more then 5000 rpm and hit 6k if its ok on the drive. So whats your consensus on the rpm at 6000rpm in your experience?

Also, GREAT commentary, Very detailed, what octane and PSI-boost are you running with the lowered 8.5:1compression? also, you spoke of back pressure issues by lengthening the tubing and restricting the waterflow to kill the problem.. were you talking about water being sucked into the motor?

Would love to see a video of you hitting 100+ on a fly by.. got anything!?

again great video and welcome to the fold!

I love the comment, "its like having access to nitrous at all times"

Ed Donnelly
09-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Maybe we had sister cars. My serial number was 2606 also a 72....Ed

fysis
09-24-2013, 01:47 PM
I posted on the donzi.org site, it seems you havent checked the identical thread over there yet so just in case. heres the post..

Very nice! I've been looking at the shelby interior and im thinking of cutting the sides out for more storage space(like the shelby) and then wrapping the cockpit with a high end vinyl with a custom embroidered icon. Your interior looks amazing and im glad I got to see one other then factory shelby setup, it shows how nice you can spruce up a cockpit without breaking the bank for a shelby(and getting more satisfaction out of it), throttle and donzi emblem(where original throttle was) looks super trick!

We have the same drive on our 22 (bravo x stock lower) and im glad to see it with the upgrades you have for it. I been eyeing up the imco 2" shorty since I just measured the center prop shaft to bottom of hull length a day ago.. How long have you spun your drive to 6000 rpm for? some people say its too high and Ive been planning on making the motor In mine a twin turbo 383 and ive been shooting for a cam that puts the torque numbers peak right at 5000 rpm.. but most of the cams ive been looking at dont reach their top horsepower numbers until 6800-7000 rpm, Im not as concerned with hitting the peak hp as torque will get the job done faster but it would be nice to be able to rev it a little more then 5000 rpm and hit 6k if its ok on the drive. So whats your consensus on the rpm at 6000rpm in your experience?

Also, GREAT commentary, Very detailed, what octane and PSI-boost are you running with the lowered 8.5:1compression? also, you spoke of back pressure issues by lengthening the tubing and restricting the waterflow to kill the problem.. were you talking about water being sucked into the motor?

Would love to see a video of you hitting 100+ on a fly by.. got anything!?

again great video and welcome to the fold!

I love the comment, "its like having access to nitrous at all times" Thank´s MB The trick to get the drive to last is to newer tell it what´s on the other side of the transom. No seriously, I got The X drive with my 470 hp 502 engine and since then it´s been there . Is not often i take it to 6k just when i have gone for topspeed testing props. My goal is not 6k but more to get the slip figures and RPM down a little. Our best pumpgas is 98 RON octane same as 89-90 Mon or 93-94 AKI. I´m not shore what´s the best you can get over there. Yes i could trace water to the rearest exhaust valves at first but extending the inner tubing and mix exhaust gas and water later took care of it. The plan was to shot some fly by combined with the dash but there was no time . Next year. There is a little sequence that my son filmed 2 years ago from distance at 92.5mph on you tube. Thank´s for appreciate our boat. Good luck with your Twin turbo set up. Bjorn Carapi.

fysis
09-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Maybe we had sister cars. My serial number was 2606 also a 72....Ed

serial # 3572 Bought it in California -89

Moody Blu'
09-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Thank´s MB The trick to get the drive to last is to newer tell it what´s on the other side of the transom. No seriously, I got The X drive with my 470 hp 502 engine and since then it´s been there . Is not often i take it to 6k just when i have gone for topspeed testing props. My goal is not 6k but more to get the slip figures and RPM down a little. Our best pumpgas is 98 RON octane same as 89-90 Mon or 93-94 AKI. I´m not shore what´s the best you can get over there. Yes i could trace water to the rearest exhaust valves at first but extending the inner tubing and mix exhaust gas and water later took care of it. The plan was to shot some fly by combined with the dash but there was no time . Next year. There is a little sequence that my son filmed 2 years ago from distance at 92.5mph on you tube. Thank´s for appreciate our boat. Good luck with your Twin turbo set up. Bjorn Carapi.

so you mixed the exhaust gas and water later on.. how did you do that? any pictures? did you think about doing dry exhaust and a pipe separate from the two headers to pour the water out of a pipe separate from the tips?

I know dry pipes are much louder just trying to figure out which way to go with the two donzi's we have (18 and 22)

fysis
09-28-2013, 02:32 PM
so you mixed the exhaust gas and water later on.. how did you do that? any pictures? did you think about doing dry exhaust and a pipe separate from the two headers to pour the water out of a pipe separate from the tips?

I know dry pipes are much louder just trying to figure out which way to go with the two donzi's we have (18 and 22)
No Dry exhaust was never in my mind. That´s a complete different approach. I extended the inner tubing in the Lightning headers about 6 inch as shown in the pictures a Machined sleeve that fits right in to the inner tubing of the header . And also reduced the amount of water to them . Just enough to keep the voice down and keep the rubber connection cool. The critical aspect of reversion is the exhaust valve closing point . More than 5 deg. ATDC can be critical .Smal engines can close the valve later then big engines.

Moody Blu'
09-28-2013, 10:06 PM
does the water come out around the outer edge of the cylinder you machined? is that cylinder welded in? full weld or spot weld? or is it pressed?

fysis
10-01-2013, 01:50 PM
does the water come out around the outer edge of the cylinder you machined? is that cylinder welded in? full weld or spot weld? or is it pressed? Yes it comes around the edge of the cylinder which is made of aluminum and only pressed in.

fysis
10-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Running altitude at Shootout Sandhamn 2013 at around 95 MPH. Got the picture from a friend today.

Greg Guimond
01-30-2014, 08:37 AM
TTT for the Swedish wonder laying down 100mph in a 22 Classic. Pictures, video, multiple eyewitness reports. Wonder what 2014 will bring? Fastest 22 Classic worldwide?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clQPWsgydrA

duckhunter
01-30-2014, 09:11 AM
Wonder what 2014 will bring? Fastest 22 Classic worldwide?

I've got a contender in mind...

Lenny
01-30-2014, 09:27 AM
I've got a contender in mind...

and I do believe that it might be orange . http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/jester.gif

duckhunter
01-30-2014, 10:00 AM
and I do believe that it might be orange . :jester:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/b0/b0991248-1832-4628-ad92-3cc9ec8b974a_300.jpg

Lenny
01-30-2014, 02:57 PM
An orange bucket with this installed will be interesting.

1100 hp.

duckhunter
01-30-2014, 04:18 PM
Lenny,

I had high hopes for that one but he's moved on to engine #3.0 (or is it 4.0?) now. Very trick. Still figuring out the exhaust. She should be a runner.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/DpbKa3ipCcY/maxresdefault.jpg

Inferno
02-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Duckhunter...See if I sent you a picture of my new engine again. This was suppose to be a secret and you posted it on this site. I cleaned it up and it's now orange. :eek!:

BUIZILLA
02-01-2014, 07:32 AM
Lenny,

I had high hopes for that one but he's moved on to engine #3.0 (or is it 4.0?) now. Very trick. Still figuring out the exhaust. She should be a runner.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/DpbKa3ipCcY/maxresdefault.jpg exhaust issue is easy, just turn them upside down...

duckhunter
02-01-2014, 10:42 AM
Duckhunter...See if I sent you a picture of my new engine again. This was suppose to be a secret and you posted it on this site. I cleaned it up and it's now orange. :eek!:

I couldn't help myself! The Quadrajet is a nice touch, by the way. Did you pull the plug wires & stuff to paint her or just spray bomb the whole thing?

Your build inspired me and I found a good deal on International Harvester red at Tractor Supply. How many cans did it take to do your whole hull? I'm thinking two cases should cover the bowrider.

Buizilla's got the exhaust sorted out, which is why he gets the big bucks. Little sawzall clearancing on the hatch and she'll be good to go!

Carl C
02-01-2014, 11:59 AM
An orange bucket with this installed will be interesting.

1100 hp.

Yes it will! (Don't forget the steering :rolleyes:)

Fishermanjm
02-05-2014, 12:35 PM
is the factory steering good for a 22C??? at what point do I Beef -up the steering?

Lenny
02-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Beef it up at any time. It is a welcome addition to any boat and the way these ones are " flown " it is a no brainer. Any big block 22 seems to incorporate these upgrades and anything with added power gets this treatment at the same time. Same goes for the 18's etc. If you are cruising and learning your boat and respectful of the components then you are probably fine, but it is something to deal with, usually sooner than later.

Money well spent.