PDA

View Full Version : Email Virus - Donzi Judging Sheet.

AGUESS
07-31-2001, 08:31 PM
Received an email at both home and work with an attachment called.

Donzi Judging sheet.

Have the rest of you received this and is it ok to open or is it a virus?

Thought it was odd to receive and can't find any mention of it on the donzi net.

Alex.

Shanghied Again
07-31-2001, 08:36 PM
If You dont know the person. I wouldn't open it. I had a computer wiped out thanks to a clown and I am still trying to recover. Had a major wipe out. Lost everything and I still cant scan are use my camera. Thats the last time I ever open something thats says free stuff. :mad:

Formula Jr
08-01-2001, 02:28 AM
A virus would not be that specific. You can forward it to me if you are worried and want to look at it. My linux machine isn't worried about script kiddies.

owen@epud.net

Forrest
08-01-2001, 08:10 AM
Hay Alex, forward that to me too, and I will open it here at work where we update our virus protection software and database weekly and sometimes daily.

harbormaster
08-01-2001, 07:31 PM
Who was it from?
I know that George Culotta of the Lake Winniwhatever Donzi club was infected and I got a couple from him.

AGUESS
08-01-2001, 09:25 PM
I deleted the emails and don't have the name with me at home. It came from someone in NY, that uses Road Runner. name Augusta ?

George emailed me and said he thinks it came from his computer, that he got hit. I just don't know.

I have received several emails from this person. 1. Donzi judging sheet. 2. Free stuff.

If it is random, they designed a specific heading. I almost opened it because of the Donzi Name.

I will try to update this post tomorrow with the email address, etc. for everyone.

Alex.

PS. I have no stars. :rolleyes:

Frank0
08-01-2001, 11:18 PM
It is probably a virus. I got something similar from someone that I did know that had an attached .doc file (word file) I opened it and could not figure out why they had sent me that file. I spent the better part of the day cleaning my computer files after that. The virus is called w32 Sircam virus. It basically hides itself in your windows directory and sends email. My anti virus software would get rid of the infected files but not the hidden part. Every time I rebooted my computer it would just re-infest my email program and send more mail. It actually takes word or excel files from your "My Documents" folder and sends copies of them to random people from your "sent" or "deleted" email folders in your Outlook or Outlook Express programs along with copies of itself to each of them. It does not sound like you have opened the file yet so you should be safe. If you have already opened the file you can expect to see many emails coming back from people telling you that you have sent a virus or something to that effect. The good news is that it is easy to get rid of. I found that www.sarc.com (http://www.sarc.com) has the fix for this virus posted right at the top of their list. You have to down load a small file (about 10-15 seconds) and run the program. It takes about 1 minute and you are clean again. I don't know for sure if this is exactly what you have received but I would bet that it probably is. Even if it is not this is probably something that you will run into in the next few weeks. The virus has been circulating for a few weeks now.

harbormaster
08-02-2001, 01:09 AM
If it was from Augusta, then it probably was from Ed of the Lake George club. He was out of town and got nailed by the sirCam virus.
I helped him clean his machine. People you really need to be suspicious of email from unknown people which have attachments.
You also have to have up to dat virus software on your machines.

blackhawk
08-02-2001, 08:17 PM
It's a nasty critter! Infected over 80,000 computers in less than 24 hours!!! Here's some info on it:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32sircama.html

Everyone beware.