PDA

View Full Version : Gaffrig II speedometer issues

mc donzi
09-03-2013, 03:54 PM
After a recent run I noticed that my speedometer was frozen as shown in the picture.

I called Gaffrig and talked to one of their Tech. Support guys. He thought that perhaps the water pick up line was blocked with weeds or ?. He suggested that I disconnect the line from the back of the gauge and blow through it to dislodge the blockage to release the pressure. I did this but the needle stayed at 80 MPH+. Now when I run the boat the needle stays at 80+ until I get to about(I'm guessing 50 MPH)and then the needle goes to the pin just below '20'. When I slow down the needle drops to 80+ and stays there.

Gaffrig no longer make the Gaffrig II series gauges and I sure don't want to buy a gauge cluster.

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Dave

gcarter
09-03-2013, 04:14 PM
There're service shops that can repair your speedo. Your speedo is a Bourdon tube instrument, and operates like a pressure gauge. The linkage may be jammed. If it has been pegged, or you've been airborne a lot, it may have been distorted. Good shops that do this work can do marine, automotive, or even aircraft instruments. It may cost a bit.
You may be able to find a used replacement on eBay.

Tidbart
09-03-2013, 04:18 PM
FYI. Gaffrig never made them. The Gii's were made by Livorsi.

Tidbart
09-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Here is a100 mph one. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=200856877556

mc donzi
09-04-2013, 07:57 AM
FYI. Gaffrig never made them. The Gii's were made by Livorsi.

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the clarification.... I'll call Livorsi to see if they have a dusty old box with a Gaffrig II 80 MPH hanging around.

I saw that Powerquest 100 MPH on Ebay but I'd rather have one without the boat manufacturer reference.

Season is winding down up here(north of Toronto) so I have all winter to find one. Failing that, I can always get it recalibrated.

Dave

Tidbart
09-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Hey Bob,

Thanks for the clarification.... I'll call Livorsi to see if they have a dusty old box with a Gaffrig II 80 MPH hanging around.

I saw that Powerquest 100 MPH on Ebay but I'd rather have one without the boat manufacturer reference.

Season is winding down up here(north of Toronto) so I have all winter to find one. Failing that, I can always get it recalibrated.

Dave

Livorsi may be able to repair that one for you, as I doubt they have old one lying around. If not, one will show up on ebay eventually. Just set up a search and they will tell you when they get listed.

Good luck.

B