PDA

View Full Version : important, vin different from reg to boat ?

Moody Blu'
08-31-2013, 09:18 AM
my buddy bought a donzi a week after we bought our donzi from phil.

the nj dmv told him he had to rub over the vin of the boat with a pencil and show it to them. once he did this he noticed the 3rd to last number and last number are not the same as on the registration... the third to last is a 9 and last is a 6 on the reg. the boats has a 5 for the third to last and last number.. when he showed me the rubbing of the vin it can be easily misread as a 9 and 6 however its different..

is there anyone that can help figure this issue out, he spoke with the previous owner and he had the boat registrations renewed for years and I believe was the 2nd owner.. my friend is computer illiterate and I told him id ask on here. as he has had a blast on our boat and wants to be able to cruise with us with his family as well for the weeks to come.

if anyone can help resolve this issue by possibly checking the vins through donzi for me please let me know. pm me or call me.. this is very important he paid cash for the boat and at first glance the v in on the back did look to him like the same as the reg... those 5's are hard to read, they looked like 6's to me.. he can easily register the boat with the rubbing s it looks like a 9 and 6 but he wants to do it right. od forbid someone checks the vin and it doesn't match up unless this is common with donzi's?

perhaps rickse can do some vin checks I think he works for donzi?? or someone else from donzi

please call me if you can help my friend needs to get tot he bottom of this

nine seven three - six one five-two one three two

mattyboy
08-31-2013, 11:14 AM
post both numbers and what model donzi it is

Tidbart
08-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Not sure I understand the problem. Do mean to say the hin is different than the title, not the registration?

Scott Pearson
08-31-2013, 12:43 PM
NJ...Good Luck. Every boat I own I had a hassle with in NJ and had to do everyone a different way. Tell you friend to just register it and enjoy the boat. If you bring this to the attention of the NJDMV it will become a huge issue that he dosnt want to get into...trust me I have been there. The NJDMV doest want to hear the truth on how this happened.

If it was an older boat pre 74 with no HIN then its even a bigger issue! They dont have a clue that these did not have embosed numbers and dont want to listen and understand the issues with these older boats.

Tell him to keep quite and register as it is.

Greg Guimond
09-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Good advice by Scott. Did a Title come with the boat? One thing you can look into is using a different state than NJ to do an initial registration and re-title. Then when you have straightened out the problem with a state that is lenient, re-register it in NJ to get a proper Title/Reg that will refelct the accurate HIN on the transom.

BUIZILLA
09-01-2013, 07:30 AM
in Fla, the FWC will come to the vessel, or you can bring the vessel to them, with the paperwork for inspection, and they will issue a memorandun or opinion that can be forward to the State for clarification and correction.

if you happen to get stopped down here and there is an *issue* with the paperwork, the vessel can and will probably be immediately siezed, until the issue is resolved...

mattyboy
09-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Does NJ have a transferable reg for vehicles that are older than the title laws? I have a transferable reg that is all needed to transfer ownership no title needed i have this on my new trailer as well as long as you can prove full ownership with no leans you can get one.

NY also keeps the reg numbers as long as the boat is reg in NY no matter how many times it gets sold not sure if NJ is the same the HIN on my 68 16 and the 69 hornet are the reg number. I tried to get that changed on my 16 to 15-410 with a friend that worked at dmv the sytem would not let the change go thru it needed a valid 12 character HIN I could have made up DMR164100567 but then I thought if someone checked and it was not on the transom there might be an issue so i left it as is

Moody Blu'
09-01-2013, 10:46 AM
post both numbers and what model donzi it is

why? what can you do to help. my buddy doesnt want to lose his boat that he paid cash for.

he actually rubbed the vin and showed dmv and they STILL registered it with the 9 and 6 they didnt even look at the rubbed vin for more then two seconds.. honestly though those 5's can be either 9 or 6's (and they really do look like it) so when dmv looks they check the old reg and then look a the vin and thier mind already sees it as a 9 and 6 cuz the reg says so) so its registered now BUT its not the same as the boot which pretty much mean the reg and title are worthless if someone decides to look for the vin.

he is still very excited but at the same time worried.

Moody Blu'
09-01-2013, 10:48 AM
NJ...Good Luck. Every boat I own I had a hassle with in NJ and had to do everyone a different way. Tell you friend to just register it and enjoy the boat. If you bring this to the attention of the NJDMV it will become a huge issue that he dosnt want to get into...trust me I have been there. The NJDMV doest want to hear the truth on how this happened.

If it was an older boat pre 74 with no HIN then its even a bigger issue! They dont have a clue that these did not have embosed numbers and dont want to listen and understand the issues with these older boats.

Tell him to keep quite and register as it is.

its an issue for my friend right now. he already registered it as i said though if someone looks for the vin THEN WHAT?
I take it your still a lawyer Scott.. what do you think will happen

Also, My friend, regardless of registering it still wants to get to the bottom of it.... is there anyone on the forums that can get me in contact with someone from donzi to have the two diff vins checked.. If the vin on the reg is a number that donzi NEVER made then I think donzi will be able to help out in this situation.. regardless if anyone can point me in the right direction I will really appreciate it. I'm worried for my buddy too. all help is appreciated on this search to fix this

Greg Guimond
09-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Does your friend have an actual Title for the boat he bought?

mattyboy
09-01-2013, 11:36 AM
I would Imagine that at a normal stop by a LEO that they will look for a valid reg sticker then ask for the reg with any other paperwork and as long as the general description and the reg numbers match they will not look and verify the HIN now if there is a report of a similar boat stolen and they are looking for it then they will go directly for the HIN then all bets are off.

it would be wise to keep all paperwork on the transaction with the sellers info just incase.

Moody Blu'
09-01-2013, 11:47 AM
I just talked to my friend and he definately want to get to the bottom of this, buzilla's post freaked him out. I just boatfaxed both vins and both are 15% concern so he is a little more at ease, still though.. im really starting to think someone rubbed the vin on the boat and the agency they went to read it as a 9 and a 6 not two 5's

IF ANYONE WANTS THE VINS TO CHECK A DIFFERENT WAY PLEASE PM ME, I HAD THE ON HERE BUT THIS IS A VERY TOUCHY SITUATION we need to have all the proof and ammo we will need when I go to dmv or the state to fix this

when boatfaxing the 585 came up as a 1985 donzi classic 22 the 986 came up as a 1986 (obviously)

im wondering if donzi reissued a newer title because the boat was a leftover and they forgot to change the vin? I read how manf would update the year of the boats if they were leftovers... just an assumption though

boat fax for both came up like this

Confidence Colour Code Concern % Level
No loss match found in our records 0%

There is a partial match, but it is very unlikely that the item has been reported lost, stolen or scrapped 7%

There is some data match, but it is unlikely that the item has been reported lost, stolen or scrapped. 15%

There is a slight possibility that the item has been reported lost, stolen or scrapped 30%

It is possible that a match exists. The search criteria are similar to a vessel that has been reported lost, stolen or scrapped 60%

Close match – It is likely that the item has been reported lost, stolen or scrapped 75%

Very close match – It is very probable the item has been lost, reported stolen or scrapped 95%

Complete match – This item shows as lost, stolen or scrapped within our records 100%

Moody Blu'
09-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Does your friend have an actual Title for the boat he bought?

it was a transferable reg from NY that had been re registered at least 4 times as when we put the new nj reg on the boat there were around 3-4 ny rg stickers on to of one another..

I think some agency long the way messed up the vin. if anyone has a contact for donzi my friend and I will greatly appreciate it

mattyboy
09-01-2013, 12:03 PM
the boat is correct for hull 103 and for a post 84 HIN the f986 is invalid and impossible the last 4 characters of the post 84 HIN

are

a leter for the month of certification a------ is january f is june

the next number is the year of certification 5 is 85

the next two are model year of the boat is 1985

so the number after the letter can be one less or the same as the ending year
of the model year

so f986 would mean the boat was certified in june of 1989 for the 1986 model year

the hin on the boat is correct and i would want to get it resolved with dmv cause there has been a few classics stolen as of late

Moody Blu'
09-01-2013, 12:17 PM
the boat is correct for hull 103 and for a post 84 HIN the f986 is invalid and impossible the last 4 characters of the post 84 HIN

are

a leter for the month of certification a------ is january f is june

the next number is the year of certification 5 is 85

the next two are model year of the boat is 1985

so the number after the letter can be one less or the same as the ending year
of the model year

so f986 would mean the boat was certified in june of 1989 for the 1986 model year

the hin on the boat is correct and i would want to get it resolved with dmv cause there has been a few classics stolen as of late

what do you mean invalid and impossible for f986 can you call me matty number is on first post written out

Scott Pearson
09-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Call the NJ State Police at the Pt Pleasant Coast Guard Station. Have your friend make an appointment to bring the boat there to have inspected. They will look it over and do a back ground check on the history of the boat. They will either give him paper work to bring to the DMV to correct the problem or issue an entire new HIN# and give him the paper work to give to DMV to do that.

They are nice guys and will make it right. I have done this on one of my boats and had zero issues.

Good Luck

CHACHI
09-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Call the NJ State Police at the Pt Pleasant Coast Guard Station. Have your friend make an appointment to bring the boat there to have inspected. They will look it over and do a back ground check on the history of the boat. They will either give him paper work to bring to the DMV to correct the problem or issue an entire new HIN# and give him the paper work to give to DNV to do that.

They are nice guys and will make it right. I have done this on one of my boats and had zero issues.

Good Luck

Sounds like experience has the solution.

Ken

Moody Blu'
09-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Call the NJ State Police at the Pt Pleasant Coast Guard Station. Have your friend make an appointment to bring the boat there to have inspected. They will look it over and do a back ground check on the history of the boat. They will either give him paper work to bring to the DMV to correct the problem or issue an entire new HIN# and give him the paper work to give to DMV to do that.

Good Luck

I called donzi manf today they said the f986 made no sense as Matty boy said..

I then called state police and they are doing a hin check on the hin now ill get a call back soon and I'll know what's up.

The state police policeman said to just go to DMV and bring up the hin issue and get the reg to reflect the hin.. He also said if I was pulled over they would run the vin and if it didn't come back stolen they wouldn't do anything.. However I am not satisfied as state to state may be different and don't want to chance it and rather get it fixed now instead of later if an issue happens..

So Scott, u think it will be a big issue with DMV if I go and tell them that?

I already have the boat faxes for both hins printed out and hopefully the state police will get me a confirmation letter for the hin, I don't know though I will find out soon.

Moody Blu'
09-03-2013, 01:23 PM
State police called back sgt Goodson told me theres no record on file for the hull hin.. So another words not even the manf came back, as I asked if he searched a new boat what will come back...

As far as nj is concerned and the trio state area the boat is good.. Next step is to call newhampshire to check the hin...

Then I have to go to dmv to correct this issue..

Scott Pearson
09-03-2013, 01:25 PM
I think if you have a letter from the State Police you will be fine. If you dont I have a feeling it will be a pain in the ass. These people at the DMV dont have a clue and dont want to be bothered. Not sure how they are down by you but up here in Monmouth County they dont know their ass from their elbow.

Hope it work out.

mike o
09-03-2013, 03:11 PM
If the boat is clean in NJ and tri state, it is Clean in all 50 states :yes:
I have a HIN with the Coast Guard for my boat building Biz. If, I (We) manufactures incorrectly miss number a hull we are in deep Do-Do with them. We are inspected every 3 yrs by them. CC was here 3 weeks ago.:smile: What happened here is a clerk wrote down the wrong number "(9)" re registering the boat, someplace, sometime,,, instead of a SIX. DONZI did NOT certify a 1989 hull in 1986 No way - no how. The original dealer would have freak + called Donzi to come get it. Its just a typo on the registration. My boat's last four digits are E202. That why CC and state 5-0 know its a typo, especially the CC......:smile: FYI. August 1st is the day we roll over to a new yr per CC reg's. That why you can see a lower digit like Matt said