PDA

View Full Version : Spraying for ants

Jraysray
08-30-2013, 06:33 PM
I got the boat back and there are ants everywhere. Should I or shouldn't I spray. Worries about staining etc.... Think ill let the good old salt water take care of it.

hardcrab
08-31-2013, 07:04 AM
spray with white vinegar

Ghost
08-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Beat me to it...that's the remedy I've seen sworn by as well.

Ed Donnelly
08-31-2013, 12:18 PM
And pray you don't come back as an ant..Ed

hardcrab
08-31-2013, 01:30 PM
works on other family members as well.

yeller
09-01-2013, 01:58 PM
"Ant B Gon". One drop and colony is gone literally overnight. Occasionally, I have had to use it a second time. You can get it at HomeDepot....well, at least you can in Canada; not sure about the US

Morgan's Cloud
09-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Yeller , is that the stuff you put out in a tray of some sort and they're supposed to eat it and take it back to the nest/queen ?

We have a massive ant problem out here , been going on for ten years now and getting worse. I've used three different versions of stuff that they should take back and kill the nest but all I've been able to do is keep the numbers stable.

That one you show isn't available here but I'd sure give it a try if it was .

yeller
09-04-2013, 09:04 PM
It's like a clear syrup and you just put a drop on the ground wherever you see the ants. I usually put two or three drops out where I see they are most active and they take it back to the nest. Its always killed 99% of them within a day. The stuff works fantastic.

Morgan's Cloud
09-05-2013, 05:47 AM
I'll wait to see if it shows up out here soon. The others I've tried are like products but I just can't stop them . We've become a giant anthill in the middle of the Atlantic !

ps/ cleared out the mailbox too.

JimG
09-05-2013, 06:29 AM
Bengal.

tmdog
09-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Tiger?

VetteLT193
09-05-2013, 11:46 AM
As I had a former life spraying for bugs...

What kind of ants???? that is a BIG question that must be answered. If they are carpenter ants you may have a problem as they are eating the wood in your boat somewhere.

If they are little sugar ants, use the bait as suggested. Terro ant bait is what I tend to prefer.

If they are fire ants you can use bait like amdro, it's tricky on a boat... basically you have to put it out in the boat and let them find it. if you put it on the nest they don't eat it.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-05-2013, 11:53 AM
As I had a former life spraying for bugs...

What kind of ants???? that is a BIG question that must be answered. If they are carpenter ants you may have a problem as they are eating the wood in your boat somewhere.

Is there a quick remedy to killing carpenter ants? TIA, Bill

JimG
09-05-2013, 12:28 PM
I'm telling you... Bengal...

It's not a tiger, LOL!

Bengal Roach Spray in a can. Get it at Walmart. Expensive (11 bucks a can). Miracle stuff. Goes on dry. Run a bead across/around any spot that critters can get in. No bug survives walking across this stuff. Works for a long time as long as the powder doesn't get washed off. Re-apply when it does.

I use it everywhere, house/barn/yard/boats/cars. I even use it to kill ant mounds. Poke the tube into the mound, give it a shot... no more mound.

I also use it on the pee-holes on my outboards. Keeps daubers from building in them...