PDA

View Full Version : Side mount shifter

Conquistador_del_mar
08-28-2013, 12:25 PM
My 28' Warlock has a Merc 3000 shifter that feels a little flimsy so I was thinking of installing a Lavorsi. I definitely want a side mount with trim in the handle. Does anyone have any other good recommendation or comments on the Lavorsi? I want to do this in the next couple weeks since I do a lot of boating in the Fall. Bill

CHACHI
08-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Bill. the Livorsi side mount is a Uflex with added bling.

While it does have a trim button, you loose the trailer trim feature and your kill switch.

Ken

gcarter
08-28-2013, 01:12 PM
You can add the trailer trim w/an extra switch on the dash, I did this on the TR.

The Uflex will be cheaper.

CHACHI
08-28-2013, 02:07 PM
You can add the trailer trim w/an extra switch on the dash, I did this on the TR.

My next project, just need the wiring diagram.

Shall I thank you in advance George? ;)

Ken

woobs
08-28-2013, 02:19 PM
This may be a little too common but, it works for me...(not flimsey at all)

Conquistador_del_mar
08-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys. Woobs, what model is that shifter?

roadtrip se
08-28-2013, 04:33 PM
I have the Livorsi/Uflex unit. Works great and I have to throttle the boat constantly with some serious horsepower in front of an XR IMCO combo to make it live. I have a separate kill switch, which works better because it is located farther from the throttle allowing for less tangle issues. Never bothered with the trailer switch, and haven't really seen the need for it.

LuauLounge
08-28-2013, 05:14 PM
I had the Merc and couldn't stand it. Went to the Dana Marine dual handle sidemount.
Make docking super easy as there is no throttle overrun. Pricey, but worth it.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-28-2013, 06:47 PM
I have the Livorsi/Uflex unit. Works great and I have to throttle the boat constantly with some serious horsepower in front of an XR IMCO combo to make it live. I have a separate kill switch, which works better because it is located farther from the throttle allowing for less tangle issues. Never bothered with the trailer switch, and haven't really seen the need for it.

I have a similar engine package with the IMCO Extreme Advantage drive. I don't need the trailer feature since it seems to really be there for entry level boaters. I could also mount the kill switch somewhere else. The Uflex handle looks like it faces the opposite direction from the Lavorsi which I don't care for as much so I am still thinking Lavorsi unless something else grabs me.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-28-2013, 06:50 PM
I had the Merc and couldn't stand it. Went to the Dana Marine dual handle sidemount.
Make docking super easy as there is no throttle overrun. Pricey, but worth it.

I really like the looks and apparent quality of the Dana, but I am not crazy about separate shifter/throttle handles. Just my preference. Thanks.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-28-2013, 06:59 PM
I just looked and saw that Uflex has the 184 and 310 series which have the different handles. http://www.cpperformance.com/c-1480-u-flex-side-mount-controls.aspx

woobs
08-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Woobs, what model is that shifter?

Pretty sure it's a Mercury 4000 GEN II series. 883710A02 Panel Mount w/Lock Bar Grip w/trim AROUND$ 300 new. (Plenty used around for 1/2 that)

Conquistador_del_mar
08-28-2013, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. I just ordered the Lavorsi black and chrome with the cover plate, kill switch, cable connectors, and a few other parts for the Warlock. I guess I was in a hurry - lol. I'll post what I think of it after installing and using it.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Pretty sure it's a Mercury 4000 GEN II series. 883710A02 Panel Mount w/Lock Bar Grip w/trim AROUND$ 300 new. (Plenty used around for 1/2 that)

Thanks Woobs, but I just finished ordering the Lavorsi for better or worse - :doh:

gcarter
08-29-2013, 02:00 PM
My next project, just need the wiring diagram.

Shall I thank you in advance George? ;)

Ken

Here ya go Ken.
If ya look at the wires near the trim limit switch, two blue/white wires are paired at a bullet connector inside of the gimbal housing. The continuation of the connector continues through the limit switch on to a purple/white wire. This wire extends to, what would be the trim switch in the throttle handle (but is depicted in this old schematic by a duplex dash mounted switch). The blue/white wire continuing to the upper (trailer) portion of the same switch is what's needed to raise the drive to the trailer position (because this wire doesn't go through the drive mounted limit switch..
So, from the power source (red/purple wire from #13 connector) will go to both the throttle trim switch, and the trailer switch (and I suppose each needs one of the 20 amp fuses shown at the dash mounted switch). The trailer switch (a double throw switch) will (when the switch is actuated to raise the drive) connects the red/purple to the blue/white wire and thereby actuate the "UP" solenoid.
To lower the drive, in either location, the red/purple is connected to the green/white wire which actuates the "DOWN" solenoid.
The throttle switch will connect the red/purple wire to the purple/white wire (which continues through the gimbal limit switch), becomes a blue white wire and goes to the "UP" solenoid.
And the red/purple wire to the green/white wire to activate the "Down" solenoid.
I'm sure if I missed any fine points, Bob will chime in and help me clear them up.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77167&d=1092105918

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77166&d=1377802837

CHACHI
08-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks George.