PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question.............maybe

1996Z15
08-24-2013, 12:09 PM
I have had the pleasure of owning a 1986 Minx for a season but, now I just hang out here and live out my boating fantasies vicariously through the forum. During my time here I have read numerous posts about checking stringers and transoms when purchasing an older boat as they have a tendency to absorb water and become soft.

I was wondering, why don't boat manufacturers use some type of composite for these items; something that won't fail over time like the stringers and transoms seem to do. Is there a reason why the manufacturers use wood aside from the cost of using something more exotic?

I have toyed with the idea of buying another classic speed boat but, I would always have these parts in the back of my mind as a major expense if I made the wrong choice in my purchase and had to have them repaired / replaced.

Carl C
08-24-2013, 12:30 PM
The transom and stringers are composite in my '05 22C. I'm not sure when they made the change or if it applies to all Classic models. Also, the hull is not cored but is solid glass. The deck is balsa cored. The seats also have no wood. I agree that it doesn't make sense to use wood in boats.

gcarter
08-24-2013, 05:30 PM
Decks were cored w/various things, my '88 22C deck is cored w/ three courses of core mat w/a course of mat between each.
My '86 Minx deck may have been cored w/plywood, at least part of it was.

silverghost
08-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Years ago wood core was really the only available & affordable core material out there~~~then came open cell foam.

And Boat buiders never intended boats to last more than 8-10 years~~~ This has always been the case ~~in fact Chris~Craft originally built their planked Mahogany wooden boats to only last Six years.
After all~~~they are in the business to sell New boats !
Not boats that would last a customer for their customer's entire lifetime.

Sure modern boats have new high-tech rot resistant core materials~~~but look at the sticker list prices for these NEW boats today~~~and how many are actually being sold new today ?