PDA

View Full Version : 1975 Maltese Magnum 28

lars
08-23-2013, 06:14 PM
NO RELATION TO ADVERTISER.

This 1975 Maltese Magnum 28 is a well known boat. It now has come down from a previously asked $36,995 to $25,900. I vaguely recall it being for sale in the upper $50k's a couple of years ago, but I think it finally start looking very tempting.

Link to eBay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-Magnum-Maltese-28-Completely-Restored-/370883536417?hash=item565a61a621#ht_10295wt_1897

1975 Magnum Marine Maltese Boat
Exterior Color: White
Interior Color: White
Mileage: 0
Engine: V8
Transmission: Automatic
Body Type: 28 inch Boat
Stock #: P7019Q / VIN: MAG280691275
Retail Price:
DISCOUNT: CALL
INTERNET PRICE: $36,995
Vehicle Comments
This is probably the finest example of Don Arrnows 28 Magnum Maltese in the world. Complete with all original documentation, C/O and sales brochures the complete package. In 1995 a complete rebuild was done then photographed and featured in Hot Boat Magazine. It was also featured in a 1 hour Motor Sports Unlimited segment. This 28 Magnum Maltese is hull number 69 of 94 the total production for this model.Magnum represents the origin of high performance off shore boating. The 28 Magnum Maltese had a limited production run that was due to the direct cost of manufacturing this hull design. It is a fully bonded 3 piece hull, a full liner that is bonded to the hull and then bonded to the deck. This is not the common shoe box construction used in boat fabrication. Because of this type of hull construction, it does not rattle or squeak! The process was so costly ($32,000.00 in 1976) compared to the sister ship, the 28 Cigarette, which cost around $24,000.00 in 1976. Because of the higher price, the 28 Magnum Maltese was focused at the discriminating performance boater.The hull: has all original gel coat, great effort was made to preserve the original Arrnow design. The life line, lifting cleats, side hand rails and dash configurations are all intact, monochromic powder coated was used to match the location color. With the exception of adding 2 large main pop up cleats also Powder Coated to match.The original anchor and bow holding hatch is in excellent condition and powder coated to match.Controls: The original gauge configuration was retained, with exception of adding a throttle cabinet, trim and drive indicators along side the dash. All the gauges are Gaffrig, the New Gaffrig steering wheel, a Gaffrig GPS speedometer, 0 effort lighted throttles with collective trim for the tabs and drives in the handle. There also is a color matching Danforth Constellation high performance and stabilized compass for racing.Interior: The fuel gauges are the original non contact floor race gauges, lighted. The bolsters are mid rise on S.S. stands. The back seat is a 2 or 3 passenger seat featuring custom made steel frame folding arm rest with drink holders counter sunk in its center. The gunnels are fully lined. The cabin is fully finished and padded to exacting standards. It also features an electronics cabinet, with a movable GPS and mount, new VHF radio and a 5 speaker sound system with CD. The cabin also has a privacy cavies door Bomar hatch and spot lighting. Behind the front mirrors, between the bulk head, is storage for life vests and lines. Through the bulk head is the 3rd fuel tank, Sun Shade umbrella, fenders, throughables, and toys.Engines: are a recent refit with 2 MerCruiser full dress 6.2 MX / MPIs. (Current hrs, about 110) These engines are race mounted for positive power delivery. All the hydraulics are current pump designs with braded S.S. lines. The professionally design steering system is hand machined S.S. reciprocating ball for exact control and a clean transom design. The exhaust is a matched 4 S.S. Corsa full time muffler system. Cooling system has a set of bottom transom/hull mount race pick ups going to 2 glass and brass sea strainers.The engines drive through a pair of MerCruiser velvet drive transmissions. It is easer to have one to rotate out when you are ready to change out the down unit.Transom: TRS drives are powder coated to match the hull. There is a set of 4 blade MerCruiser performance wheels, hand picked and matched by Mel Riggs for this boats weight, motor and drive configuration. Tabs are KK race tabs, powder coated to match the hull. There are 2 uninstalled grips for the transom as well.Trailer: is a custom fit low rise 3 axial self aliening fit. You can virtually trailer the boat with out steering. 1 person can put the trailer in the water drive the boat into position in less than 3 minutes by them selves!This is the finest boat any one who is interested in this type of boating can own. It cruises at 43 mph @ 3100 rmps and an average top speed of 64 to 68 depending on the load.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Lars,
That is a really nice Magnum! Thanks for the link and info. Bill

Morgan's Cloud
08-25-2013, 07:42 AM
That's another beaut !

I hope my brother doesn't see that ad , otherwise there will be a blue 25 up for sale. :tongue:

One thing that always gets on my nerves though is when people who seem knowledgeable enough to own this genre always get Don's name wrong.

smidgen too
08-25-2013, 09:23 AM
That's another beaut !

I hope my brother doesn't see that ad , otherwise there will be a blue 25 up for sale. :tongue:

One thing that always gets on my nerves though is when people who seem knowledgeable enough to own this genre always get Don's name wrong.

Looks like it's being sold by a car dealer in Phoenix who does not really know about Magnums. Last I heard it was on Lake Havasu up for sale, the old owner may have wholesaled it. Not sure if I like all the powder coating but for 26k you could not restore it for that price if it's a nice as the pic's look.

Morgan's Cloud
08-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Looks like it's being sold by a car dealer in Phoenix who does not really know about Magnums. Last I heard it was on Lake Havasu up for sale, the old owner may have wholesaled it. Not sure if I like all the powder coating but for 26k you could not restore it for that price if it's a nice as the pic's look.

I agree. If it's absolutely sound structurally it's a bargain.

The engine alone on our 25 resto/rebuild was more than that , and that was still less than a third of the overall total final cost.

Greg Guimond
08-26-2013, 07:27 AM
Looks like 13 Bids and $12,300 so far on Ebay .......

scippy
08-27-2013, 12:00 AM
Provided the fuel tanks are sound and no water intrusion to transom & stringers...............I think it's a steal @ 26K

Greg Guimond
08-27-2013, 05:20 AM
It would be interesting to know what shop did the restoration and I agree this is a steal. Also, I would think it is reasonable to operate with the 6.2's. Has my projects favorite fold down seat option too. Is that color choice a factory color? It looks awesome.

ralphvc
08-29-2013, 07:25 PM
I agree at $26 this is a deal. I have a similar one that it would take $40 to buy and then I probably would not sell. They are a head turner and run great. I have buyers approach me regularly. If I had the $ I would buy it bring it to the great lakes and sell for $35.

Greg Guimond
08-31-2013, 07:56 AM
Ok the bidding has ended on Ebay for the Maltese at $20,400 against the ask of $25,900. Talk about a potential buyer being given a framework for an easy purchase negotiation. The seller exposes it nationally, gets 27 bids and it can't fetch $26k. Someone needs to take a ride to Phoenix with an empty hitch and $22,000 in cash. Actually, I'll be heading into Phoenix on Sept 9 if anyone wants me to take a look at it for them. Great looking rig .........:bighug:

Greg Guimond
08-31-2013, 08:22 AM
Here is the old ad that Lars mentioned. Nice find Lars! :yes:

Call JOHNNY BOST for purchase options at cell (314) 852-9448 or email direct at johnbost@chapmanchoice.com

Conquistador_del_mar
08-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Do you guys think that it being a Maltese instead of a sport model had a lot to do with the lack of a buyer so far? I wonder how long the boat has had to sit outside in the 110+ degree heat and sun in Phoenix at the dealership :doh:

olredalert
08-31-2013, 06:20 PM
----Bill,,,I think theres something to what you say! Magnum Sports generally dont last for sale more than a couple of weeks unless they have problems or are grossly overpriced or BOTH! Im not a Maltese fan but they still have the same hull and are probably a bit drier than a Sport and yet this one languishes. Doesnt make any sense........Bill S

murfman
08-31-2013, 07:20 PM
I've been told that the last survey of this boat mentioned that the fuel tanks need to be replaced due to a smell of raw fuel in the bilge.

Greg Guimond
09-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Evidently the car dealership took the Maltese in trade at $30k against road going iron. I'm not sure on the tanks but how can you embark on a high dollar restoration and NOT replace all three tanks? I would think pressure testing those would be easy enough. Now to replace them, you guys who have done work on the smaller Magnums would know how involved that is and what kind of additional expense would be required for a proper job. Three tanks, I'm thinking $10,000 installed roughly?

I converted the pictures of the Maltese to the attached pdf for the archives.

I also ran across a pretty cool video clip that talks about the Maltese models ..................http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRpaLKBAp2M

Greg Guimond
09-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Some background info on the Maltese if you can decipher it ..........

the blue boat was sold from a magnum dealer in marina city chi. apeco owned magnum at the time. After, apeco bam took over the facility as a service storage biz. the boat invetory was liquidated in chi. Richard Messesmith was the original owner..he was recently killed in a motorcycle accident in fla. ..........RIP..... the boat went 2 a kid greg in the powdercoating biz. gorilla powdercoating in tempe AZ. the boat prior 2 going to ariz was at Riggs Marine in Wisconsin. richard m paid 25k approx..i remember ritchard in the cabin back in '82...this brings bak memories....i remember bermans mech maybe chuck he had a dog named reed. cool dog. anyway he worked at gorilla and took reel good care of the boat..u all stay cool...cya.....