PDA

View Full Version : 1970 GT not mine

mattyboy
08-18-2013, 10:43 AM
interesting boat BBC volvo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Donzi-GT-21-1970-model-/221268115791?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item33849b814f&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1182

Conquistador_del_mar
08-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks Matty for mentioning it! That is one of my old boats from the past which I had restored and sold (TX #s match my old pictures). I bought it and a Corsican from one guy in Kemah, TX in the mid 80s. The engine I installed from engine builder, Earl McCoy, is still in the boat after 27 years since I sold it. It looks like the blue and white Imron I painted has held up fairly well, too. That was a brand new set of Bilt-rite upholstery when I sold it in the mid 80s. Really cool to see it is still around! Bill

mattyboy
08-18-2013, 12:27 PM
that first pics is just awesome

Conquistador_del_mar
08-19-2013, 01:36 AM
I'm glad that I thought to get a few pictures of most of the boats I restored over the years, but I did not get pictures of all of them. I know I didn't get pictures of a yellow GT21 before I sold it so quickly at about the same time as the blue one.

olredalert
08-19-2013, 10:58 AM
----Bill,,,Great Donzi! Do you know if the front seats the ones that came in the boat? They look almost like X18 seats but definetly not like the normal GT21 seats. I suppose it could have been ordered with these seats, but was just wondering.
----As you may recall I was up close and personal with that yellow monster when it was almost new. What a boat that was!!!!......Bill S

Conquistador_del_mar
08-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Bill,
If my memory is correct, I opted for the single tall back seats when I ordered from Bob at Buit-rite since I never cared for having to step over the front bench seat. It was such a pleasure ordering from Bob! I could talk over the design and color over the phone and they would arrive exactly like I had wanted - only better than I ever expected and the dimensions were a perfect fit.
Yes, I still kick myself for never getting pictures of the yellow GT-21 before selling it. I remember it had an opposite rotation engine that my mechanic who rebuilt the engine got stumped by. He had to order and install another camshaft after realizing his mistake when he tried to stab the distributor.
Just recently, I realized that your El Pescador means fisherman in Spanish. Bill

CHACHI
08-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Bill, you do some amazing work.

Ken

Conquistador_del_mar
08-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Thank you Ken!
I contacted the seller and we had a 30-45 minute conversation this afternoon. It was lots of fun to talk 27 years after selling him the GT21. :yes:

Conquistador_del_mar
08-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Bill,
If my memory is correct, I opted for the single tall back seats when I ordered from Bob at Buit-rite since I never cared for having to step over the front bench seat.

Oops, I think it came with those sofa type seats which I also did not care for. Just my preference at the time.

Greg Guimond
08-19-2013, 10:20 PM
27 years ...........wow Bill that must have been a very cool feeling :angryfire:

olredalert
08-20-2013, 08:57 AM
----Bill...That seems like it would have been too long ago to be Bob at Bilt-Rite. Probably John Harmon and his wife (the original Bilt-Rite owners) whom I knew pretty well as they actually did some Corvette stuff for me at one time.......Bill S

Conquistador_del_mar
08-20-2013, 11:35 AM
----Bill...That seems like it would have been too long ago to be Bob at Bilt-Rite. Prtobably John Harmon and his wife (the original Bilt-Rite owners) whom I knew pretty well as they actually did some Corvette stuff for me at one time.......Bill S

Bill - You are no doubt correct. I am pressing it to remember that it was Bilt-Rite which was based out of Hollywood, FL I believe. I guess I assumed that Bob on this forum had been the owner all along. I owe John Harmon the credit for some fantastic communication and product!

olredalert
08-21-2013, 08:22 AM
----Bill,,,Hollywood would have been correct for the Harmons. They were great people and did beautiful work for many south Florida boat builders. I never had the opportunity to use Bob but everything I heard was that he was a good successor to the Harmons......Bill S

CHACHI
08-21-2013, 09:09 AM
When John and Sue sold to Bob, their shop was in Mcclenny Fl, just west of Jacksonville.

Ken