PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

TRU-JACK
09-30-2002, 08:50 AM
Unfortunately this past weekend I found an old crib of rock from an old warf with my outdrive. :(
I had the inlaws up for a cruise and nailed this rock at about 15mph in my 16 with the alpha. The visible damage is a bent mirage, and a crack in the casing directly in front of the prop, (where a nose cone would go) As i felt around for damage and realized this crack/damage i had my dad come out and tow me in to the trailer. I'm going to take it to a local marina and possibly use my insurance depending on cost. My question is: what should i have the marina double check? what type of damage should i double check to ensure everything is replaced/repaired properly?
I appreciate all info as i know nothing beats experiance. thanks wink

MOP
09-30-2002, 04:53 PM
They will more than likely want to tear it down, you may or may not have chipped a gear Upper or Lower and more than likely your prop shaft is bent. THe crack in the case is an iffy thing, I have never seen that did not continue to to crack further. Welding is not an option. Call your broker it is not going to be cheap.

RH
09-30-2002, 06:10 PM
I agree with Mop, the only casings that I have seen that were able to be welded were the lower skegs. I for one would not reccomend that for you. That is why you have insurance. Good luck with your outdrive. I think most of us who have owned boats have been there at one time or another. I know that I have!
RH

Dr. Dan
09-30-2002, 07:44 PM
:D To Quote my older brother, "There are two types of boaters, those that have run a ground and those that will?" wink Good Luck, hope it works out for the better for you... :cool: ...Doc

TRU-JACK
10-01-2002, 08:35 AM
thanks guys, my insurance agent is very understanding and will cover the damage without problems, hopefully the adjuster agrees that the gears should be changed as well. I'll let you know what gets replaced.

MOP
10-01-2002, 10:16 PM
If they do not want to cover the gears, take them and have them Magnafluxed before it goes back together. It will give you piece of mind.