PDA

View Full Version : 16 OB August Fun

Greg Guimond
08-11-2013, 05:05 AM
Woke up early thinking I would get to the water by 7 and jumpstart the day. Geez, 59 Degrees? What happened to those steamin August morning's? Oh well, the Hudson will have to wait at least a couple of hours until things warm up a bit. The Mule likes to be warm when it runs. :mad:

Capevettes
08-11-2013, 06:56 AM
60 degrees this morning here on Cape Cod. I was out on the lake at 0530 for my sunrise cruise. I am on quiet mode due to noise complaints :garfield:

gcarter
08-11-2013, 07:14 AM
80* here, heading for 95*!!!!

Arrrrgh!

jl1962
08-11-2013, 07:52 AM
Balmy this morning - mid 50s, nice swimming!

Greg - bring the Mule to the fall picnic and we can alternate being the Icebreaker!

:D

mattyboy
08-11-2013, 08:11 AM
was around 51 here when i got up but was nice and warm when we got out

George 80 to 95 sounds like you are giving driving directions LOL

mattyboy
08-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Jay
Marie and I have been debating about the windshield it does it's job very well no wind in the face at all even at wot but when it is hot the boat is not the place to cool off. we were going to remove it but Marie said we might need it when we are up in lk george this fall

Greg

the meadowlands???

jl1962
08-11-2013, 03:54 PM
That's funny, I was in a boat today with a windshield and one of my first thoughts was, this is too hot!

I don't know.
Maybe use it seasonally, like snow tires!

Greg Guimond
08-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Yep Matty. All the docks have been disrupted by Sandy so I have had to piss off the kayak folks and use there's. 9:30 and just backed The Mule into the garage. Ran from the Statue of Liberty north to Poughkeepsie plus some frolicking along the way. Logged 200 miles on the money. Let's just say 197 of 'em were a piece of cake. More on that later, I'm bushed.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-12-2013, 01:07 AM
Dang Greg. You are a serious cruiser doing 200 miles in a single outing!

mattyboy
08-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Greg,

that is an awesome trip. Just to think what is seen on that trip. cruise out past the Statue of Liberty then take in the whole NYC sky line then up past the Tappan Zee bridge up into the beautiful Hudson Valley past indian point up under the bear Mtn bridge past The United States Military Academy at West Point. then onto newburgh new paltz.

then the other sites like Bannerman's castle

would love to see any pics of that trip.

BUIZILLA
08-12-2013, 08:52 AM
I am planning on bringing my 16ob to Lake George next July... the travel plan includes staying at the Liberty Landing RV site, and launching from the marina there. We just love NYC, we will be there 4 days, and would very much like to take in the sights a day or two on the water there, a 200 mile day is nothing for me, I have a 65+ gal. tank... :shades:

biggiefl
08-12-2013, 09:15 AM
yeah 200 miles is nothing for Jim....and he'll do it in 3+ foot crap just to get a burger for lunch. My back still hurts.

Greg Guimond
08-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Greg, that is an awesome trip. Just to think what is seen on that trip. cruise out past the Statue of Liberty then take in the whole NYC sky line then up past the Tappan Zee bridge up into the beautiful Hudson Valley past indian point up under the bear Mtn bridge past The United States Military Academy at West Point. then onto newburgh new paltz. then the other sites like Bannerman's castle. would love to see any pics of that trip.

It is a great run. I got busy this week with work but have some photos that I will post tomorrow although I am not much with a camera. The Mule "walkabouts" tend to be New York Harbor to Westport, CT.......Shark River Inlet ........ or the Beacon Bridge as long as the weather looks ok. Getting there is ok, sometimes getting back not so much. The Mule has plenty of stress cracks but that comes with the waters I guess.

mattyboy
08-13-2013, 10:21 PM
it always seems to get snotty round the Haverstraw area

mattyboy
08-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Greg,

just a thought, a few guys from SNF usually do a small gathering on my lake in late sept early oct round columbus day . might be a good time to bring the mule to Greenwood Lake. it is about 50 minutes nw of the meadowlands. you can join in with the flying OB I was going to go out and represent the SNB. if you are interested let me know I'll keep you posted if I see the date.

Greg Guimond
08-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks Matty, that sounds like fun. Of the three long journey's I have done with The Mule, the south leg down to the New Jersey Shark River Inlet is the least interesting. You basically are out in the Atlantic with not much to look at except the beach line. The run up through Long Island Sound from New York Harbor is cool as you pass the Gold Coast and can view some very large homes (a couple with heli-pads) and then grab lunch at a place called "The Black Duck" in Westport CT. They installed some docks a couple years back to allow folks to tie up and grab a bite. Probably the best walkabout is the run North up the Hudson River. I've done this one several times. I leave NYC and head for the GWB. There is a dock underneath it with a restroom if needed. Then I race the Amtrak train conductors on the East side of the river up to the Tappan Zee hugging the shoreline. The only place left I can buy 93 octane is a little north of the TZB on the West shore. Then onto West Point. The view of the Academy as you make the bend is truly awesome. A little further North we tie up in Cold Spring NY where they have free dockage and walk into town to grab coffee and meet friends who live in Garrison. Then back in The Mule and up the Hudson to grab lunch at a place call "Shadows on The Hudson" in Poughkeepsie overlooking the Mid-Hudson Bridge.

Not my smartest moment but one time coming back South at dusk from the GWB to the Statue of Liberty the winds turned on me so bad that I had to draft a Coast Guard cutter to knock down the 6' rollers to 3' :eek:

Greg Guimond
08-14-2013, 12:22 PM
I am planning on bringing my 16ob to Lake George next July... the travel plan includes staying at the Liberty Landing RV site, and launching from the marina there. We just love NYC, we will be there 4 days, and would very much like to take in the sights a day or two on the water there, a 200 mile day is nothing for me, I have a 65+ gal. tank... :shades:

Jim, let me know when it comes together. You don't even need high test in your 16 OB with that Yamaha. You've uncovered a well kept secret in LL RV in Jersey City.

BUIZILLA
08-14-2013, 02:55 PM
You don't even need high test in your 16 OB with that Yamaha. I think this thing would run on shaving cream.. :smile:

You've uncovered a well kept secret in LL RV in Jersey City. ohhh, hell yeah we did.. :lookaroun: when I can look out the front window of the RV and see the Statue of Liberty and Staten Island Bridge, and out the left window and see Battery Park and downtown Manhattan, the worst morning coffee in the world tastes like champagne.. the night view from our spot was absolutely breathtaking... it may be a paved parking lot, but OMG does the marina restaurant rock it's walls at night... tram out the rear exit, ferry out the front door, views everywhere, a marina and boat ramp right next door, the Holland Tunnel is 6 blocks north after the best grocery store, deli, and liquor store in JCity, the underwater rail tunnel hut and Manhattan Water Ferry is 500' from my RV... what's not to like? fabulous... :cool:

Greg Guimond
08-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Some pictures from the Hudson River run with The Mule..............

#1 - To hell with 60 degrees in August, let's go boating
#2 - Entering Lower New York Harbor with a close eye on the Staten Island Ferry
#3 - Heading North on the Hudson approaching the Tappan Zee Bridge
#4 - My custom gas pedal makes reacting to heavy water much easier

Greg Guimond
08-14-2013, 11:08 PM
#5 - Approaching West Point
#6 - Lunch at Shadows at the Mid Hudson Bridge
#7 - Ran like a top until mile 197 and time to be towed in
#8 - Problem was a blown fuse! El Burro moves The Mule out for service

mattyboy
08-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Greg

nice pics thanks!

when you got up to the TZ looks like you are in the main channel did you see any special USCG atons or markers outside of the channel? they are creating no navs zones in the area due to the recent accident involving a construction barge.

Greg Guimond
08-15-2013, 08:15 AM
I was actually surprised that there were none yet. That was a terrible tragedy. Although the driver was at fault I'm hopeful that they change the rules and have more significant side lights on those types of stationary barges. There is a marina just north of the Tappan Zee maybe 300 yards on the East shore side. There was restaurant in there with dockage and when I poked my nose into the inlet it was all boarded up on account of Sandy. I was glad to string together some pictures of the run as I really just point and shoot on occasion with my pda.

What the hell, it's cold again this morning :confused:

mattyboy
08-15-2013, 08:36 AM
48 degrees by me at breakfast 78 by lunch . yes that is the signal the season will be ending in 2 months.

I think they have given notice to all the locals as to what area to stay out of and how to access the main channel.

Really sad part the mayor of nyack had gotten a letter two weeks before the accident from a member of a local yacht club stating the barges at night were an accident waiting to happen. The driver just had is first court appearance yesterday.

very sad and tragic story.

BUIZILLA
08-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Greg, which fuse?

Greg Guimond
08-15-2013, 09:04 AM
There are (4) plug-in fuses just below the ECM. One burned but I still have to figure out what they actually each are tied to. They are hard to get to but I'll carry spares now.

Greg Guimond
08-15-2013, 09:14 PM
80* here, heading for 95*!!!! Arrrrgh!

I'm going out tomorrow George, please send a bit of that balmy weather north! :wink:

Greg Guimond
08-18-2013, 08:51 PM
One minute all is looking good on the water............

Greg Guimond
08-18-2013, 08:52 PM
The next hour your getting pelted by rain bullets trying to make your way back to the dock ..............August fun :bonk:

mattyboy
08-23-2013, 07:36 AM
Greg,

they usually have a hudson river lunch run from haverstraw/ stony pt area up to kingston in late sept or early oct something you might be interested in.

Greg Guimond
08-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Have you ever done that run with them Matty?

mattyboy
08-23-2013, 08:19 AM
I have done that run on the river but not with those guys. I did run with them in lk George a few of them run on my lake but I have not seen them this year. Good bunch of folks Nice run when the leaves are changing

Greg Guimond
08-25-2013, 08:50 PM
I suspect there is some big iron on that run, may be too much for the little 16. Had a great August day, including giving our 10 year old some more seat time :) She may be the next Donzi fan.

mattyboy
08-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Very Cool !

Greg Guimond
08-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Then after family time was over it was out into the Lower Harbor for the round NYC run. While it aint easy on the equipment, it never gets old :pimp:

Greg Guimond
08-27-2013, 09:33 PM
But before that we did have a couple of "fly bye's" ...............

Greg Guimond
09-02-2013, 05:59 AM
August fun is evidently over with "no boating" Labor Day weather today .......... :mad: :banghead:

Greg Guimond
09-18-2013, 10:47 PM
It would not be the end of Summer without the obligatory "god dang it" moment. Looks like I'll be buying a grinder for the skeg ............:mad: :banghead:

Conquistador_del_mar
09-19-2013, 01:30 AM
I suspect there is some big iron on that run, may be too much for the little 16. Had a great August day, including giving our 10 year old some more seat time :) She may be the next Donzi fan.

I'll bet your daughter enjoys driving - :D

On your skeg, I have had great luck having a welder built up the aluminum and then grinding it back to the original shape, then paint.

By the way, when I said you were a wildman, that was a compliment.

CHACHI
09-19-2013, 05:44 AM
On your skeg, I have had great luck having a welder built up the aluminum and then grinding it back to the original shape, then paint.

A friend of mine who is a welder, does this all the time.

Ken

Greg Guimond
09-19-2013, 06:28 AM
Yep, I'll have to find a skilled welder. Compliment taken on Wildman, I think my dang hat will be used sooner than hoped, 41 degrees this morning. The skeg could have been worse I guess, it just pisses me off. Oh well.:frown:

mattyboy
09-19-2013, 06:42 AM
sept fun lake to ourselves with no foot's or benny's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJf2eJHNukE

mattyboy
09-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Greg

another awesome Sept nite here mid 70's til the sun went down hope you get a chance to get out.

on a side note a lot of seagulls here . they usually only come this far in land off the hudson when the weather is going to turn nasty, they are calling for a possible topical system here early next week. might be the end of the season

Greg Guimond
09-19-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm looking to get out this weekend, rough skeg and all. Maybe even later afternoon tomorrow.

mattyboy
09-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Saturday looks better than Sunday we have the end of year party at the clam bar so no boating this weekend so no boating this weekend for us til next week

enjoy it's almost over

Greg Guimond
09-22-2013, 09:46 AM
That looked like a great day Matty. Awesome. Leaving now to attempt to run from Statue of Liberty to the Norwalk Boat Show and back. Great sunshine but not sure The Mule will be up to the trip with 15+ knot winds. The tides are rising right now to 5pm on the run up so I am going to hope the winds are blowing off the CT side and hug that lee shore to give me a chance. Full of 93 and full of oil, maybe the wind gods will take pity on me. While the 15" mid is great for performance, in heavy water a 20" is much better. The SS tends to trip more and stuff the bow. It will be just me and The Mule on this run.

Later .............:outtahere:

mattyboy
09-22-2013, 10:35 AM
enjoy stay warm quite "fallish" here today

Greg Guimond
09-22-2013, 07:02 PM
My season is officially over as of today. Something grenaded in the lower unit at 50mph cruise and I was toast. I was able to use reverse for a little bit to get my butt out of the channel and then reverse failed as well. I have been surfacing the drive a lot so that certainly did not help.

B
O
A
T

:mad:

Conquistador_del_mar
09-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Greg,
That sucks, but at least it happened near the end of the season. I hope you get it fixed relatively inexpensively - right, keep in mind the acronym for BOAT. Good luck, Bill

Ghost
09-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Sorry man, that sucks.

Greg Guimond
09-22-2013, 09:14 PM
Greg,
That sucks, but at least it happened near the end of the season. I hope you get it fixed relatively inexpensively - right, keep in mind the acronym for BOAT. Good luck, Bill

And to boot I lost my darn Wildman hat overboard and ferry finished it off :bawling:

Conquistador_del_mar
09-22-2013, 10:54 PM
And to boot I lost my darn Wildman hat overboard and ferry finished it off :bawling:

Almost a greater loss than the drive - :doh:

mattyboy
09-23-2013, 09:30 AM
ouch

but plenty of time to get her fixed and find a new hat before next season

mattyboy
09-28-2013, 09:04 AM
looking good today for the last day on the boat not a cloud in the sky and 70 degrees pics to follow the colors are turning a bit here but not in full force yet

Greg Guimond
09-28-2013, 07:40 PM
You had a good one today Matty. I am going to try and get out tomorrow with the Team Warlock and hope the mechanical gods don't punish me.

mattyboy
09-29-2013, 06:42 PM
went out both yesterday and today Marie wants to extend the season so we are shooting for Columbus day weekend as the last hoorah

Greg Guimond
09-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Roger that, I got a half a soccer game in and then snuck off at the half for some water time. I normally go to Thanksgiving each year so we shall see.

mattyboy
09-29-2013, 06:56 PM
was really nice out there

Just Say N20
09-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Last ride of the season. It was the best day possible. Mike Truesdale took the picture, and a friend the video. The sound of the engine during the fly by is going to get me through this winter. I'm biased, but it sounds "healthy."

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10200489316662171" width="1280" height="720" frameborder="0"

Greg Guimond
09-29-2013, 08:21 PM
That shot is awesome! It looks like today brought good weather to a lot of us Northern folk.

Just Say N20
09-29-2013, 10:20 PM
One more. :)

Ghost
09-29-2013, 10:36 PM
The Dee looks awesome!

mattyboy
09-30-2013, 08:24 AM
looking good Bill what are you running in those pics? looks like the prop is carrying the boat nicely

was warm yesterday this morning not so much and my baby is out there with her azz in the air columbus day might be a little wishful, we will see what the overnight lows will be this week.

Just Say N20
09-30-2013, 09:05 AM
looking good Bill what are you running in those pics? looks like the prop is carrying the boat nicely

Thank you! "What are you running in those pics?" Equipment, Speed?

That is the Solas 23. The engine was turning between 5,200/5,300 rpms. And, I'll put it right out there. 65.2 GPS mph.

The chopper 25.5 pitch I got from you is within 1 mph top speed of the Solas, however it turns a little faster to 5,400 rpms. Because that is a solid hub prop, and the gear case on the Volvo 290 is so wide, if you over trim even slightly, the prop looses it's bite. I think if we could see the prop in action, it would reveal that only about 2/3rds of the blades are in the water. I think the hub and inner portion of the blades are operating in the cavity caused by the large gearcase. Over trimming make the "pocket" larger, and at some point there isn't enough blade surface in the water, and the prop begins to slip. The chopper is also just slightly slower (1 - 2 mph) at any given rpm compared to the Solas.

It is a good spare prop.

mattyboy
09-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Funny did the fall cleaning in the garage and the work bench. Found another chopper that has holes drilled in it I tried it on my Volvo didn't fit. I think it may be a merc prop or a Volvo prop with a merc hub pressed in it for an e-drive. I can take pics if anyone is interested.
Amazing how a 23 runs close to the same numbers as a 25
Well now I have to ask what speed were you running at the time

mattyboy
09-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Might even by an OB prop maybe Greg would know

Just Say N20
09-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Amazing how a 23 runs close to the same numbers as a 25
Well now I have to ask what speed were you running at the time

Actually 25.5" pitch.

I edited my post above to include speed. GPS is one HEAVY device. It slowed my boat down at least 10 mph compared to other boats.

Greg Guimond
10-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Grabbed a little October Fun today. 86 Degrees and reasonable sea's. Hopefully more good one-off days to come :D

mattyboy
10-02-2013, 09:21 PM
very nice glad someone got out there today, great pics . I get the opposite view most of the times stuck in an office or on a bridge or highway in traffic thinking man would it be the bomb to be out on the water now!

looks like some more humid stormy afternoons on thursday and friday with a great weekend can't argue with high to low 80's in Oct. :)

I got my orders sat and sun on the boat no later than noon

Greg Guimond
10-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Hmmm, this might not be a pleasant ride downriver ...........

Greg Guimond
10-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Waited it out and then hugged the West shore until we could come back across ..........

mattyboy
10-05-2013, 09:49 AM
not looking to promising this morning hopefully it burns off and moves out

mattyboy
10-12-2013, 12:11 PM
heading out now tank full, picnic lunch packed the leaves will be here when i get back or maybe they will blow over to the neighbors ;)

Greg Guimond
10-12-2013, 12:29 PM
I'm shooting for tomorrow. Enjoy!

mattyboy
10-12-2013, 08:31 PM
was an awesome day looking to get out again tom.

a few shots

mattyboy
10-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Sunday was awesome too, looks like the season will go another week mild temps here in the NE thru next weekend.

Pat McPherson
10-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Got out Saturday on the 22 Donzi and Sunday on my 17 Aquasport... Weather was great! the kids even jumped in...:embarasse

Greg Guimond
10-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Yep, if there are a few more days like I had today, making it until Thanksgiving will be easy :shark:

mattyboy
10-16-2013, 07:42 AM
we will call it quits when this guy flies south........ it does look like he is trying to carp up for the long flight ;)

or when they put this away for the season

Greg Guimond
10-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Had a good 100 mile run today to Sing Sing. After a chat with local authorities they decided I would not have to stay overnight ;) I'm not so sure my buddy who decided to come along will be back for the Thanksgiving run lol