PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 280PT question

mattyboy
08-04-2013, 07:45 AM
the power trim setup on the Volvo 280PT basically takes the pin that is set in the three holes on a non trim drive and moves it up and down with the trim rams.
the drive still has the reverse lock prawl and if needed the drive can be lifted manually by releasing the lock and tied up.

My issue is the lock doesn't always seem to grab and when going into reverse the drive kicks up, it also has some play causing the drive to bang when the lock grabs in reverse. Is there an adjustment on the lock? I was thinking of lashing the lock to the pin any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Conquistador_del_mar
08-04-2013, 12:28 PM
I will try to check the power trim setup on my 280 this afternoon and get back with a reply. I honestly can't remember how it is set up off the top of my head. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
08-05-2013, 01:47 AM
Matty,
I forgot to check this afternoon with everything on my agenda, but I just got back from checking the security lighting at my business and looked at the reverse catch setup on the trimmable drive. Mine stays latched at all times since the normal trailer-only motorized rod that would push down at the top of the yoke and both raise the drive and activate the rod to the reverse catch release is no longer there to release the reverse catch. I am almost certain that the spring loaded reverse catch would release if there were enough force (like hitting something underway) so I would not lash it permanently. There are springs that should hold the reverse catch against the stainless pin. Maybe you should check those springs along with making sure the reverse catch has enough grasping metal to grab the stainless pin - it might need a little more bite. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need pictures of my setup. Bill

mattyboy
08-05-2013, 07:41 AM
Bill

thanks.

I checked it on the lift with the drive all the way down and it is locked but if you grab the drive and pick it up there is about 1/2 -3/4 inch of play before the lock grabs. It seems to happen when I trim up not sure if the pressure when it pushes fwd in drive pops the lock loose or if the slight angle of trim up does it.

next time you get a chance see if there is any play on your drive if you try to pick it up.

Kirbyvv
08-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Matty,
I have a little play, maybe 1/2 inch, but not enough to be noticable when I shift into reverse. No clunk or anything. I'm thinking something is worn on your reverse lock out.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Bill

thanks.

I checked it on the lift with the drive all the way down and it is locked but if you grab the drive and pick it up there is about 1/2 -3/4 inch of play before the lock grabs. It seems to happen when I trim up not sure if the pressure when it pushes fwd in drive pops the lock loose or if the slight angle of trim up does it.

next time you get a chance see if there is any play on your drive if you try to pick it up.

No problem. I will try to check it out later today.

Matty,
I have a little play, maybe 1/2 inch, but not enough to be noticable when I shift into reverse. No clunk or anything. I'm thinking something is worn on your reverse lock out.

That is what I was thinking, too. If the catch mechanism which raises from the bottom side of the stainless rod is bent or worn, it will not grasp properly.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Matty,
I checked again today. There is a single spring in the center that applies the pull to the entire reverse mechanism to stay in place. The two outside springs appear to keep the mechanism from letting loose unless extreme force is applied - like hitting something. It sounds like one of the components in your mechanism is not staying in place - no, I can not raise the drive manually without releasing the reverse catch mechanism.

f_inscreenname
08-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Hey, just went through this with 2 drives.
They do have play in them. The drive doesn't rest on the lock when in forward. It pushes on the stops that are built in the fork and shield that are past where the drive locks by about a half inch. Spray some WD-40 in there and use a wrench to turn those little square nuts a little to make sure all the pieces are loose. Should snap back like a bear trap. If that don't work the center spring is bad. I just took a coil out of it and put it back in but they can be found new also.