PDA

View Full Version : SOLD - Volvo Ultra LH 24 Prop

Just Say N20
08-01-2013, 02:11 PM
As many of you know, I recently "upgraded" the engine in my 1967 Ski-Sporter, Samson.

With the previous engine, a 350 chevy with about 270 hp mated to a Volvo 290 drive, I had a couple of different props. One of them has already found a new home.

I am offering up the Volvo Ultra 24 for sale, as it doesn't have enough pitch for the new engine.

This is pretty much "the" Ultra prop for stock-ish engine, old Volvo (270/280/290) outdrives, and Donzi classic 16s and 18s.

There is a scratch on the back of one of the blades, that I have no idea how it got there, but it is cosmetic. I'm going to polish it out as best I can.

$250 shipped anywhere in the continental US.

mattyboy
08-01-2013, 02:49 PM
this is a great deal , these were going for $400-450 range and that was with the weak ultra hub that needed a another $100 modification to fix the weak stock hub. this prop looks to have had the stronger Michigan wheel hub pressed into it. If this prop did have the weak hub Bill's mill would have melted it.

good luck with the sale Bill

jl1962
08-01-2013, 04:59 PM
I'll buy it.

PM sent.

:)

Just Say N20
08-01-2013, 06:34 PM
SOLD!

That didn't take long at all.

penbroke
08-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Nice score Jay! You'll love it, trust me...

Frank

silverghost
08-01-2013, 08:56 PM
How do the old discontinued Volvo Ultra Stainless Steel Props like this compare to the available new Volvo AQ Solas Titan Stainless Steel props in both speed, performance, bow lift, and prop slip ?

I know the old Ultra's hubs can eventually fail, & slip, and eventually need to have the hubs replaced like this one has.

Just Say N20
08-01-2013, 10:23 PM
I had a Solas 19 and an Ultra 24 that I ran with the previous engine.

The Both props ran up to 5,000 rpms, but the Ultra was just shy of 5 mph faster on the top end.

The Solas prop was great in the mid-range, and ran 0 - negative 2% slip. The boat ran pretty flat almost regardless of trim. You couldn't really fly the bow with it.

The Ultra ran about 18% slip, and I trimmed it up once until I felt like those crazy Aussies who do the boat wheelies. You literally could trim to the moon, way past what would be even remotely helpful.

I'm happy Jay picked it up. I think he will like it. :)

silverghost
08-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Would the old Volvo Ultra be a better prop because
of the additional extra bow lift in the ocean & bay roungh chop I usually run in ?

With the newer Solas Ultra ~~~running flat in that rough chop might possibly not be a great idea, and be a very wet ride.

Opinions ?

f_inscreenname
08-01-2013, 10:47 PM
My Solas is at less then 9% slip. My Ultra was in the high teens to low 20's. I miss my Ultra.

jl1962
08-02-2013, 05:48 AM
Thanks guys.

I ran a 19" Solas for a few years and it was a great prop. It remains the only prop I have ever run to WOT for any length of time. But the 19 was not quite enough prop for my boat. Next I tried a 21" Solas and that was a little too much prop for me although Matty's old 16 loved it.

A few years ago, I tried an Ultra at the Dust-Off and then bought one off this board. To me, it's just about right. But this is very subjective, if you can, try them both and see which fits your style.

I'm very happy to have two and I promise to lay back if another one becomes available!

Bobby D
08-02-2013, 06:03 AM
Way to go Jay the orange boat has one and it runs real good. Put the pin in the thirds hole and hang on.
Bob

Just Say N20
08-02-2013, 06:54 AM
Jay, your experience with the Solas 19, 21 and Ultra 24 are EXACTLY the same as what I got, which is why the Ultra 24 was my favorite prop with the other setup.

Bobby, that is a great looking boat. I smile every time I come across a picture of it. :)

jl1962
08-02-2013, 07:04 AM
FYI-

I believe I know where one or two 22" LH Ultra props are and I'm told it is easy to re-pitch a 22 into a 24.

Just Say N20
08-02-2013, 07:13 AM
Good point. I saw (3) of them last time I was there. . . . ;)

mattyboy
08-03-2013, 10:54 AM
If anyone has a line on an Ultra 22 LH please let me know . I have come to the conclusion the Hornet is NOT the 16. It is a world apart . I have run a 21 solas on it and it is a bit much the 21 spinelli is ok and the 19 solas is ok too. I loved the solas on the 16 it was a great rough water prop not ventilating,cavatating or blowing out in turns like my ultras did. running the boat at a level attack angle and keeping the nose somewhat down and making the most of it short running surface.

now I have a jimmy durante nose and I might want a little more lift than the solas can provide to get it aired out maybe the ultra can help . The solas also blows out in turns which i never had on the 16 not sure if it is my driving style with the 16 I had no issue making short sharp turns at speed maybe the Hornet needs more room to take turns or it's wider slightly flatter bottom doesn't like to roll hard onto it's side?. Still learning one thing I have done with the hornet that was never possible on the 16 was take a blast down the lake at 3/4 to wot throttle on sunday afternoon with Marie and never had to lay off the throttle it just ate up the 1-2 foot bathtub slop.
Marie is also at several disadvantages first she now has to slide 6 feet over to punch me to slow down and even when she gets to my side since her surgery she can't mix it up like she used too. once she finds the telescoping boat hook I am a dead man.

thinking a 22 ultra might be worthwhile in the arsenal. maybe I should have held onto the 2 I had???

thanks let me know

JimG
08-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Last time I checked the Ultra molds are at a prop shop in Houston...can probably get a brand new one built. That's what I will do if I ever have to replace mine...

Just Say N20
08-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Jim,

I would LOVE to have the contact information for that prop shop.

I would very much be interested in finding out if they have the mold for the Ultra 26. I think with my current engine, an Ultra 26 tweaked to 27+ would be awesome.

With the previous engine, I was able to spin a Solas 19, and an Ultra 24 to 5,000 rpms. The Solas GPS'd at 53.7 mph, and the Ultra GPS'd at 57.4 mph, so even though the Ultra has crazy slip, like almost 20%, it was still almost 4 mph, or 7% faster at the same rpms.

I am currently able to spin a Solas 23 to 5,300 rpms, and if I get an Ultra with the same additional 5" of pitch (19 vs. 24 before, to 23 vs. 28 now), and could pick up an additional 7% top speed. . . . happiness and joy would abound!