PDA

View Full Version : Lake St Clair Magnums

smidgen too
07-24-2013, 12:40 AM
Over the weekend @ the Old School Reunion on Lake St Clair four of our Magnum Sports came to the event. There are about 10 sports, one Sedan [mine] two Starfire's, & at lest one Maltese still calling Lake St Clair there home. I finally finished my Sport's restoration just in time for this event with a few day's to spare. After seeing many of our Magnum's leave the lake for new home ports around the world it's nice to know we still have a nice group left. Also @ the Old School Bud came to the lake with his Maltese, Magnums were represented very well. :beer: Here are some pic's of Old School V 2013 & my Mag SCREW DRIVER.

Conquistador_del_mar
07-24-2013, 01:06 AM
Highly cool. Did you guys do some running together?

smidgen too
07-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Highly cool. Did you guys do some running together?

Bill not this time, we all were enjoying the BEER, BENCH RACING STORIES, ;) & FOOD to much @ Brownies. I did run with Jeff's Donzi, he loves the big water of Lake St Clair. Mark

smidgen too
07-24-2013, 08:36 AM
Not Magnums but some other cool boats that came to the reunion.

mattyboy
07-24-2013, 09:40 AM
awesome
thanks for the pics :)

scippy
07-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Mark,

From what it seems like the OSR will be a pretty popular event for many summers to come..........and understandably so,
The great lakes (27 Magnums) represents the best class of old skool around..............Memo to self, "gotta get her done"!

smidgen too
07-24-2013, 11:21 PM
Mark,

From what it seems like the OSR will be a pretty popular event for many summers to come..........and understandably so,
The great lakes (27 Magnums) represents the best class of old skool around..............Memo to self, "gotta get her done"!

Get her done,, or just spend a few days on the lake in the summer, I'm sure we can get you out on the lake.. Jeff Hall travels all over the world with out his boats & always finds a cool ride to go out in. :D:D:D:D

MDonziM
07-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Mark,
Looks like a fun gathering, your sport looks great. I can't remember seeing a minx with an arneson, any details on the power/performance?
No starfire pics?
Thanks - Marshall

smidgen too
07-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Mark,
Looks like a fun gathering, your sport looks great. I can't remember seeing a minx with an arneson, any details on the power/performance?
No starfire pics?
Thanks - Marshall

Hi Marshall yes the old school was a fun event & hope to make it better next year.. Jeff's still working on the Minx's set up, he needs a 18" dia prop. As you know Prop set up & testing takes time & Lake St Clair has been the only place he has been able to test, as Jeff's Lake Minnetonka Mn has a low speed limit. None of the Starfires came this year, it may have been the weather, as we had bad storms the night before that knocked the electrical power out to many.. Mark

mario
07-28-2013, 08:53 PM
looks like a fun day to me sweet boats

shoo-in
08-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Anyone out there familiar with this 28 Maltese-serial number MAG280851076 - all original with bow rail and boarding ladder from Chesapeake Bay?
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=dad3288801&view=att&th=12a05dbbb898a864&attid=0.1&disp=thd&realattid=f_gc0tbnyf0&zw

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=dad3288801&view=att&th=12a05dbbb898a864&attid=0.6&disp=thd&realattid=f_gc0tdy235&zw

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=dad3288801&view=att&th=12a05dbbb898a864&attid=0.10&disp=thd&realattid=f_gc0teztp9&zw

smidgen too
09-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Had a great Labor Day weekend out in the Mag & with my son's in the X-18 Donzi. Spent Saturday @ the Moot with the kids. On Sunday Finally made to the Island Grill @ Mayea Marina on the bay in Fair Haven Mi. I even was able pry Big Wave Dave & Cherie away from there 22' Donzi and take them out in a real Offshore. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/images/smilies/party-smiley-004.gif Even Mr Bill [olredalert] stopped by in the Gulfstream Cig CC to toast the end of summer. :( The only down side the Donzi's fuel pump quit do to alcohol in the fuel & I had to tow him in.:eek::eek::eek: Here are some pic's of the day.

smidgen too
09-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Hard to believe September is over, any day now I will have to put the Mag on the trailer for the winter.:frown: I did find on more tiki bar to try out Friday here on Lake St Clair the Tin Fish.. with only a few boats there & empty seats @ the bar you know the end is near. My Mag has run for the most part flawless since it's launch in early July [knock on wood] :banghead:. I found it's perfect cruise speed @ 3200 rpm running 40 mph, making for a nice enjoyable ride. :)

Conquistador_del_mar
09-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Congratulations on another good year of boating. I imagine it is always a little bittersweet when Fall arrives, but down here some of us will be boating through November - ;)

smidgen too
09-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Congratulations on another good year of boating. I imagine it is always a little bittersweet when Fall arrives, but down here some of us will be boating through November - ;)

Thanks Bill for the kind words. Yes the weather here can go into the toilet fast after Oct 1st + the water level drops & that makes for hard times getting off the hoist & to the boat ramps. :frown: This November I will be @ Key West with my two son's & Jeff Hall for the boat races so November is not all lost. Mark

Conquistador_del_mar
09-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Thanks Bill for the kind words. Yes the weather here can go into the toilet fast after Oct 1st + the water level drops & that makes for hard times getting off the hoist & to the boat ramps. :frown: This November I will be @ Key West with my two son's & Jeff Hall for the boat races so November is not all lost. Mark

Excellent! Mark, will you be doing some racing? How about Jeff? I wanted to race when I was younger, but I never got the chance. Bill

smidgen too
10-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Excellent! Mark, will you be doing some racing? How about Jeff? I wanted to race when I was younger, but I never got the chance. Bill

Bill @ 60 my racing days are long over. I raced from 1974 to 1995 with many teams, than I became the APBA, USO, & Silver Cup offshore referee till 2006. Now days I just spectate & watch the racing with no headaches. :nilly: You never know about Jeff he has a way of finding ways into a race, :eek!: just like he did @ the Cowles race in England this September in the DRY MARTINI Cig. :beer:

damm-magnum1
10-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Bill @ 60 my racing days are long over. I raced from 1974 to 1995 with many teams, than I became the APBA, USO, & Silver Cup offshore referee till 2006. Now days I just spectate & watch the racing with no headaches. :nilly: You never know about Jeff he has a way of finding ways into a race, :eek!: just like he did @ the Cowles race in England this September in the DRY MARTINI Cig. :beer:

Mark,

Great that you are going to Key West , I was planning on going,, but that nasty thing called work has me going to China during that time. I was going to stay at a friends winter place on Marco Island for a little vacation and take in Key West at the same time.

Have a great time. I do miss the fun times down in the Keys
Enjiy the time with your sons and Jeff

Thank you
Jim

smidgen too
11-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Well before winter sets in here in Michigan I moved the sedan up the driveway as she is next in line for a make over. With this make over I plan to use the old gel coat by wet sanding & buffing with lots of compound. :eek: There is some gel coat that needs repair do to the crash, but should not be to hard to fix. This was never a race boat so all the wood looks real good, as no extra holes were drilled into the stringers & transom & no trees growing out of it like one old Magnum race boat had that's for sale. :nilly:
The first thing I did was remove the broken windshield & give it a good power wash again. This sedan looks great for all it has gone through. When the weather permits will do what I can, just counting the days till spring...:hyper: Mark

scippy
11-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Mark,

With the thought of a spring project ahead, winter can be abit more bearable....Good luck!..she looks to have alot of potential.

smidgen too
11-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks Pete,,On my way down to Key West for the worlds with Jeff Hall & will be looking for some cool offshore finds & it helps gets your mind off the coming winter. When traveling to south Florida you never know what you will find out in a field..

smidgen too
09-30-2014, 12:13 AM
The latest Magnum to come back to Lake St Clair is Bill's Short Circuit. Some how it found it's way to the Island Grill Tiki Bar for the last weekend it was open for the summer of 2014 along with my Mag. Now that most of the Tiki bars are closing on the lake :mad: it's time to put the toys away.. :frown::frown::frown:

Greg Guimond
09-30-2014, 10:00 AM
I'm always amazed at how many Magnums are in your neck of the country Mark. And the care that goes into preserving them is just great. I have yet to see a Magnum on Long Island Sound :garfield: I did once see what must have been a 60' Magnum in Greenwich Harbor. It was not as pretty as the 27 Mags.

MDonziM
09-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Mark - must be nice to see Short Circuit back on LSC.

Greg - not many Mags around here but there will be one going around Manhattan on Sunday for a Fun Run out of Port Washington.

smidgen too
10-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Mark - must be nice to see Short Circuit back on LSC.

Greg - not many Mags around here but there will be one going around Manhattan on Sunday for a Fun Run out of Port Washington.

Yes Marshall it great to have it back home here on the lake & what's even better I been out on her. :biggrin.: Mark

Conquistador_del_mar
10-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Two great looking boats there!

smidgen too
10-05-2014, 10:22 AM
I'm always amazed at how many Magnums are in your neck of the country Mark. And the care that goes into preserving them is just great. I have yet to see a Magnum on Long Island Sound :garfield: I did once see what must have been a 60' Magnum in Greenwich Harbor. It was not as pretty as the 27 Mags.

Greg, Back around 1980 there were around 20 to 25 Magnums on Lake St Clair, just on my homes street alone there were 3 sports that raced .:yes: Mark

MDonziM
10-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Ran across Greg G today lurking on the Harlem river. Had a Fun Run in progress with 9 boats which was a pretty good turnout. I recognized Greg's Warlock and told him I couldn't stop as I was in the back of the pack in a 5mph zone. He joined in for a while up into LI Sound and turned off.

Greg, sorry, I was afraid to stop as I was really low on fuel, just made it home. Did manage to hit 84mph right at the end of the home stretch though and that was with an extra 400lbs of passenger.... could have been 87 possibly by my self.

Greg Guimond
10-06-2014, 09:08 AM
No worries. How much fuel did you burn on that round trip run? Was it about 40 miles all in? I was out testing a Mirage prop and saw a big Outer Limits turn into the East River, then I remembered that you had said something about a Long Island group running NYC. I decided to go up the Harlem and tie up to see what the fleet looked like coming by. Some very cool boats! I snapped a picture of your Magnum on the Harlem. It turned out to be a nice sunny Fall day and I was able to see the first 27 Magnum on LI Sound. It was fun running with you guys (really more like trying to keep up) with my little TW 23. I actually thought that Frenz would have had more boats show up for that run. NYC never gets old.

Greg Guimond
10-06-2014, 09:14 AM
Greg, Back around 1980 there were around 20 to 25 Magnums on Lake St Clair, just on my homes street alone there were 3 sports that raced .:yes: Mark

Wow, there's some history. There evidently is a guy in South Florida that has (3) Magnum 27 Sedans. I'm not sure how long he has owned all three.

MDonziM
10-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Not sure about the distance but you're prob close. Burned about 60gal which I underestimated due to the running speeds vs how I usually cruise. The turnout was a little light but then it was blowing 18-27 in the am and was chilly.

olredalert
01-28-2015, 10:14 AM
----Start planning for 2015 "Racers Reunion". I am!!!........Bill s

MDonziM
02-04-2015, 06:30 PM
Bill,
What are the details, is the date set?
-M

olredalert
02-05-2015, 09:20 AM
----Ill let Mark jump in here as he has all the details. I do know that its going to expand.......Bill S

smidgen too
02-05-2015, 05:08 PM
The date for old school reunion is Saturday 07-25-2015 starting around 12 noon @ Brownies on Lake St Clair. This day works the best as it does not conflict with any of the offshore racing dates in the Great Lakes area. More info will follow in the coming months.