PDA

View Full Version : Trailer help needed please.....

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-31-2001, 08:29 PM
OK, all new wheel assembly's, new front end today, brakes work AWESOME. Tandom, aluminum loadmaster like any other 22 etc...

BUT, I never noticed my 2 year old trailer tires are wearing ALLOT on the two inside treads, all 4 tires are consistant.

I am almost scared of the answer, but at least I have all new great working breaks.

Thanks in advance as always. Bryan

Shanghied Again
07-31-2001, 08:41 PM
What is your load cap on your trailer. Sounds like your springs are not big enough for the load! Remember your boat weight is 3800 dry at 400lbs for gas amnd 200 for gear. I have a 5200lb cap on my trailer. If its to light, Just beef up your springs by adding leafs.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-31-2001, 08:48 PM
Total trailer load rating is 6000.
Titan 60.

Regardless I will have to replace tires this winter, I want to avoid it a second time around.

Thanks Frank, I hope you and the family are well, we are super, boat runs and we now have breaks!!!!! I now rinse them babies right after the engine, that bay is unforgiving with salt corrosion....
BrYan

Shanghied Again
07-31-2001, 09:06 PM
Thanks Bryan
Everyone is doing Great! How isyour family? Now back to the trailer, your weight is good, The easy way is look at your trailer from the rear if it looks like the wheels are leaning in at the top of the wheel add a spring I added 2 springs to mine when I bought it. The boat use to bounce in the pocket, And I had a rating of 5800. They figure in the weight of the trailer. Dont ask me why? The 22 Zx is a heavy boat for her size. Did you ever get your bolster seats? and Are you going to Maryland poker run? If so I will see you there!

RickR
07-31-2001, 09:07 PM
Add a little air. 50lbs?
Uneven tire wear is very common on boat trailers. Might of been the ride through the hills of Tennesee and Kentucky to AOTH.

Should'a bought a Rolls ;)

Shanghied Again
07-31-2001, 09:09 PM
Gees. Who could forget those hills? My soot covered boat from my diesel and my GPS had some good readings on it as we were climbing those puppies. But It was worth it!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-31-2001, 09:25 PM
I guess I am doing something right, all wheels are exactly 50PSI cold.
Yep KY was a haul and we ran mid 60's all the way there and back.

No lean on the tires, but when I did the "turn by hand until she almost stops" to the new wheel assemblies they (tires) looked out of round to me.... The tires are the only used part of the trailer now!
Could have been my lack of braking?

Frank, no on the seats, I had to foot the bill up front for the new ($2912.81) drive, just got all my cash back and some. Seats will be this winter I hope, along with the boat name added, and red bezels for the gauges, and Nancys new grab handle.... I have still been nursing her, trying to stay around 44/4500 RPM - 60 MPH so I can determine if I have had bad luck or if I am just too damn hard on her (alpha)... I have thought of selling but so much goes into that story especially since I can retire and the rest of my buds already have. Plus I love my little 22ZX.
Thanks. Bryan

Shanghied Again
07-31-2001, 09:44 PM
Once you put the seats in you will definitly keep her, Makes the world of a difference. If your going to Maryland I will take you for a spin and you will see how they feel.

Formula Jr
08-01-2001, 12:01 AM
Around New Mexico I saw what appeared to be severe wear in the inner two tread patterns on my new Trailer tires. I was freaken cause it "Looked" bad. But on close examination it looks like they were made that way cause the outer two tread patterns matched the inner ones- being recessed somewhat. I then found some brand new tires of the same brand and type and sure enough, off the shelf, they looked just like the ones on the trailer. It was just an optical illusion. I'm well within the ratings of the tires and they only lost one pound in 8000 miles. Not say'en thats whats going on with yours, but your post reads like what I saw. Its my understanding that all trailers have a small toe-in designed to them just like any other axle.

http://www.epud.net/~owen/images/sig9.gif

RickR
08-01-2001, 01:53 PM
I have not run enough miles on my radials to check for wear but I'll never go back to bias ply.
Thanks madpoodle :D, for talking me into radials!