PDA

View Full Version : Trend in new boat buyer's ages

Conquistador_del_mar
07-16-2013, 12:37 PM
I get a publication at my boat storage business called Trade Only Today which has wonderful articles on the boating industry. I was intrigued by a new article which points out how the age of the new buyers has changed to a much older age group. Here is one of the quotes that I found to be very interesting.
“The people who were buying boats 15 years ago are the same people buying boats today,” he says. “Today there are twice as many people over 65 buying boats than there are under 40. If this trend continues, the assumption is that it’s only a matter of time before our core market just gets too old to buy a boat. I know we keep wanting to stick our heads in the sand, but that’s scary.”

I wish I could link to the graph, but here is a link to the article.
http://s1.tradeonlytoday.com/component/content/article/4-features/525683-an-ominous-age-gap

CHACHI
07-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Bill, the same thing is happening in the motorcycle industry.

Trikes and Can-Am Spyders are becoming more prevalent.

The average age of the reader of Rider magazine is something like 51, up from 47 eight years ago.

Ken

Capevettes
07-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Also the same with Corvettes. Only those that lusted for them growing up can afford them. Everyone is wondering about the future. Just enjoy the cars and the boats while you can. You won't have to worry about the future when you're gone.

Tidbart
07-16-2013, 01:51 PM
This trend is because the younger generation(s) are still living at home and letting their parents buy the boats and take care of them. They spend their money on cool stuff like video games and iPods. :rlol::wavey::tooth:

yembo77
07-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Also, I don't think you can own a boat without having some kind of mechanical ability. People don't know how to change a wiper blade these days and the dealers deter from even touching cars, boats, bikes, etc. I've always felt young owning a boat in my 20s and even now in my thirties. Two other friends own boats, one Correct Craft and one sleek craft, but they're both in their 40s. But, both of them are gear heads like myself and do their own work, winterizing, and even restorations.

Matt

gcarter
07-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Bill, the same thing is happening in the motorcycle industry.

Trikes and Can-Am Spyders are becoming more prevalent.

The average age of the reader of Rider magazine is something like 51, up from 47 eight years ago.

Ken

This has become so prevalent that even Morgan has gotten back into the tricycle business, the first time since about 1950.

CHACHI
07-17-2013, 05:59 AM
This has become so prevalent that even Morgan has gotten back into the tricycle business, the first time since about 1950.
Yeah, and they are using a S&S X-Wedge engine.

Ken

biggiefl
07-17-2013, 12:03 PM
When I was 15 I was buying Boston Whalers and flipping them for a profit after I buffed & waxed & varnished, etc. I parlayed my money enough that when I was 20 I bought a 5 year old Scarab 1. Kids these days think they are entitled to everything and do not want to work much less move out on their own. How many kids do you know at 20 are dropping enough CASH(not credit) on a boat that would buy a nice used Vette? How many at 30? Today most buy on credit and a boat payment to many seems stupid...as it is. As far as cycle mag goes, it has been around for decades. Many people who started their subscription decades ago are still receiving it for the lousy $7/yr. What would be interesting is the age of Sportbike mag readers as cycle does have a lot of cruisers in it. Every younger person I meet interested in a boat wants a wakeboard boat. My Donzi parked next to a boat with a tower is like a 57 Chevy parked next to a Nissan GTR in a school parking lot....kids don't even notice it.

Craig S
07-17-2013, 12:32 PM
I certainly believe it!

Boating is lots of trouble, and getting worse by the day in expenses and maintenance/upkeep difficulty ...ie marinas, boat launches, haul outs, fees, ability of vehicles to tow, insurance requirements, alcohol issues (both through the mouth, and in the tank).

There's lots of background tasks before you go boating.

Motorcycling is a relative breeze, and I do both.

Craig

Also, I don't think you can own a boat without having some kind of mechanical ability. People don't know how to change a wiper blade these days and the dealers deter from even touching cars, boats, bikes, etc. I've always felt young owning a boat in my 20s and even now in my thirties. Two other friends own boats, one Correct Craft and one sleek craft, but they're both in their 40s. But, both of them are gear heads like myself and do their own work, winterizing, and even restorations.

Matt