PDA

View Full Version : Florida freshwater boating recommendations

tmh
07-11-2013, 05:29 PM
I haven't used my 2003 18 Classic for nearly 3 years, since my son wrecked the SUV tow vehicle January 1, 2011. Thank goodness the boat had only been used on the upper Caloosahatchee River, east of Ft Myers, for the previous 2.5 years, which is basically freshwater. I drained all the gas and finally got it running today after getting someone to service the lower unit (Alpha) including putting in a new water pump and rebuilding/resealing the trim cylinders. I have always been apprehensive to split the lower unit myself, and I still am. The lower unit wouldn't go down all the way and it turned out that one trim cylinder had water in it but no corrosion; thank goodness for fresh water. With fresh oil, gear lube, numerous seals and filters, rotor/cap, etc., it fired up immediately with great oil, fuel, and water pressure and runs great on the hose. I expected to run into more issues than the trim cylinders but I was lucky. The spark plugs looked great and I had changed them in the summer of 2010. I was truly amazed how easy it started and how well it runs.

I want to take the boat for a long weekend and get a place on a lake for some boating and skiing with my 2 sons, who are home from college, and I am looking for recommendations and advice. I live in Naples. This would depend on being able to rent an SUV or pickup truck capable of towing the boat and its aluminum single axle trailer. I know I could rig some lights for the trailer but I don't know if putting a trailer ball on a bumper of a rental vehicle is practical. I know there are some lake chains around George Carter's neck of the woods, East of Bradenton, that are supposed to be nice. I also realize there are lots of nice lakes throughout Florida and I am looking for nice destinations where the boat can be handy to jump in and go for a spin. I have no problem driving some distance or to multiple locations to experience nice places here in Florida.

I would appreciate your thoughts, comments, and recommendations and whether I am foolishly dreaming this is something I can realistically pursue and accomplish as to finding a rental vehicle.

T.M. Hayes

Sidney073
07-11-2013, 08:21 PM
I live in Sebring, which is located in Central Florida, we have Lake Jackson which is a good sized lake. Sunset Beach Motel has a nice beach that you can leave the boat in the water, and anchor at. Sunset Beach Grill is right next door, has very good food, and a full bar. There are the usual chain restaurants in town plus local favorites. There is a boating event planned for the weekend of July 19 - 20th Saturday is the main day. Most people are staying at the Sunset Beach Motel.
A little South of Sebring is Lake Placid which has several lakes, Lake June in Winter, we call it just Lake June, is a very nice boating lake, I think there is a condo complex, and there are a couple of smaller local hotel/cabins to rent on the lake. Both Lake Jackson and Lake June have a nice sand bottom with very clear water.
In the Tavares - Leesburg area there is the Harris Chain which is very nice both for skiing, wakeboarding, tubing, as well as general boating. Lake Harris & Little Lake Harris, Dead River, and Lake Eustis are large enough to boat most of a day and make a loop around with beautiful scenery. There are several places to stay on both lakes, as well as several places to eat.
In the Ocala area there is Lake George, and the St. Johns River, I have not personally been here yet, may be planning to go there the first week of August for vacation to check it out.
Hope this helps, if you need any more info let me know. BTW I have a 76 18' Classic also, was out on Lake Jackson this evening for a few laps.
L8R,
Sid

biggiefl
07-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Other than U-Haul or enterprise I don't know anyone else that rents pickups. You could try and look at SUV's and see if any have a hitch receiver. I rented a Trailblazer that did. Not sure they want you towing however. Better get a game plan on a new tow vehicle or sell the 18 as another 3 years might not be so easy on it.