PDA

View Full Version : Dash Resto in my ZB21

yembo77
06-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Well I bought this boat after an exhaustive search last fall. I got her back home, put her in the garage, and started to plan.

The boat has new awlgrip paint and a new rebuild Merc 350, so it's a great place to start. Most of the vinyl is new so it didn't need much, but the dash was original and hurting. See the before pics to see what I mean. Someone had cut a hole in it, the stock volt gauge died, so they cut a hole to add another, and they cut another hole for a gas fumes alarm. It needed help.

I started by picking out the Autometer Carbon fiber gauge kit and decided to delete the speedometer. I like the big center tack look and wanted to go that route. I then decided on a Livorsi steering wheel and I was off.

I then had to figure out what to use for the new panels. I was hell bent on red anodized aluminum, and I still think that might have been a better choice for durability, but it's much harder to produce, and doesn't hold up as well. A friend of mine owns a trophy and awards company and uses laser engraving machines for everything. Most the of the products he uses for that are acrylics with a solid color or pattern laminated to the backside of the clear acrylic. You then laser through that layer and engrave into the thick acrylic. I decided on a 3/16" carbon fiber laminated acrylic. I then went to town drafting the panels and adding the logos in adobe illustrator. My background is design so this part I had down.

And after many months of work, She's finally done. It didn't come out perfectly and I still have to mount switch, but overall I'm happy with it. I'll redo a few pieces over the winter time, but the summer is here! Hope to see you guys on the water.

Thanks,
Matt
87' Donzi ZB21, "She Gone!"

mattyboy
06-26-2013, 08:35 AM
looking good Matt!

Ghost
06-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Ditto that, looks great. I really like the materials/switches/gauges you picked. -Mike

osur866
06-27-2013, 02:56 AM
Diggin the start switch, a lot! Very cool! Whole project looks very nice, well done

CHACHI
06-30-2013, 06:02 AM
+1 on the start switch, nice job.

Ken